News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Fitting entertainment is not just about theme, placemaking, time periods, geography. But also about tonality. A loud superhero dance party is an atonal sentimental fit, is a crass contrast to the stately American Adventure and the serenity of the promenade.

Putting the girls in mediaeval costumes does not make a Hooters a good fit for Fantasyland.

I dunno. I've always wanted them to put the "F" back in Fantasy.

Anyhoo, I tend to completely agree with your posts. Yet, it has been several years since I've posted a serious argument. I think my letter to various Disney bigwigs on this very topic (GotG, UoE overlay) caused me to realize that the marvel that was WDW of yesteryear is gone. Not just my letter. I have an old HS friend who is a technical lead on many of the nighttime shows, etc. and one visit he took time out to eat dinner with my family at Trails End (he had never eaten there and was very pleased to be introduced to a not quite so expensive option). Anyway, he had many of the same opinions that we had. These and other things made me realize the Titanic had turned and is heading off in a new direction and everyone is just passengers.

I believe those in charge fundamentally don't understand the product and don't care because the current model is perceived as more of a money maker. I still enjoy visiting WDW. Incredible design thoughtfulness creating an original area based on someone's idea for the themed recreational area is gone. Gone are rides that go on for 10,20,30 minutes...

I had a dream the other night. I got to design this hybrid backlot tour/GMR ride. The first 10 minutes was the beginning of movies ending in the glorious creative vision that was Snow White. The ride then stopped. Some could get on, some could get off. This first disembarkation area was where the animators worked. You could watch them draw. There would also be a theatre showing modern Disney shorts followed by a movie with footage of the man himself talking about animation. In my dream hand drawn cartoon shorts, movies, TV shows were always going on...

We then go through the golden age of Hollywood...a little beyond the years usually considered so that we end on Star Wars. Once again, after 10 minutes the ride stops for disembarkation/resumption. I should note the vehicles were the same size as the GMR vehicles from days gone by. This is the area where you could watch people design models, work on stunts, making stunts safe....it is also here that a theatre featuring a stunt show (theme would change every 3 years) would be located.

Finally, you would go through the modern movie section and end with a video montage updated just like the GMR section was. Well, updated a bit more often. Don't want to end with Infinity War in 2041. At the end you could explore a TV studio where several Disney channel shows were currently being filmed. If no filming was going on, you could take a tour of the area...if filming was going on you could watch the production or even be a part of the studio audience if the timing was right. Of course, you don't have to do this...you can leave an go directly to ToT if you so desire. Anyway, each stop would have bathrooms and a counter service area.

I woke up depressed. I spent a few seconds thinking about what I had been dreaming about and then realized the depression came from the realization that an experience like this is so far removed from what is being done now, that I might as well have dreamt of floating through the Cosmos going from planetary system to planetary system. Don't even get me started on my Cosmos or Navigation EPCOT pavilions or the Winged Migration DAK ride that have come to me in my sleep.

I humbly apologize for this wordy, weird digression which is mostly theme park therapy for me. I'm looking into surgical procedures that would maybe partially lobotomize the WDW section of my brain. Until then, when I go, I'll enjoy what does exist.

Cesar R M

Did you not watch one single episode of The X-Files???
View attachment 281630
Aliens? in my pavilion?

apuuXoV.png

BonnieAppetite

I humbly apologize for this wordy, weird digression which is mostly theme park therapy for me. I'm looking into surgical procedures that would maybe partially lobotomize the WDW section of my brain. Until then, when I go, I'll enjoy what does exist.

I feel the same way sometimes. My family says I talk too much about how things used to be. I'm sure I'll enjoy the Guardians coaster, but I'll never ride it without reminiscing about UoE and 1980's Epcot.

A Cosmos pavilion sounds like a great idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom