News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

GlacierGlacier

Fitting entertainment is not just about theme, placemaking, time periods, geography. But also about tonality. A loud superhero dance party is an atonal sentimental fit, is a crass contrast to the stately American Adventure and the serenity of the promenade.

Putting the girls in mediaeval costumes does not make a Hooters a good fit for Fantasyland.
But they already have rock groups perform there during non-candelight and even sometimes during non-festival times. The only difference is now they're from Marvel.

To adjust your metaphor, it'd be like a general use building they put up in Fantasyland and already use seasonally for a generic Hooters suddenly got hobbit costumes. It's only tangentially related to the surrounding area, it doesn't contribute (or hurt) much, and it's temporary.

The American Pavillion is only quiet when the stage is empty. Any time anything is on there the atmosphere is blasted right out of there, until you enter AA. Maybe the exception of candelight. But that's my personal experience performing in that talking.

RSoxNo1

Fitting entertainment is not just about theme, placemaking, time periods, geography. But also about tonality. A loud superhero dance party is an atonal sentimental fit, is a crass contrast to the stately American Adventure and the serenity of the promenade.

Putting the girls in mediaeval costumes does not make a Hooters a good fit for Fantasyland.
I felt this way upon hearing the announcement, but the music that Quill likes is very much in line with what plays during the Festivals throughout the year. The metric for the presentation (characters from a Space travel movie) is an odd choice for the pavilion.

po1998

All the money going to the project and did I read speculation that the GotG ride will be a lesser attraction than the Mummy at Universal? If so, big disappointment.

I'm sure it will have a great queue though...WHO CARES about the queue!

The Empress Lilly

All the money going to the project and did I read speculation that the GotG ride will be a lesser attraction than the Mummy at Universal? If so, big disappointment.

I'm sure it will have a great queue though...WHO CARES about the queue!
Eh, queues can be quite effective storytelling and placemaking tools. Or simply awesome in their own right. I'd take a walking tour of ToT just for the queue! (Although at ToT the time spend in a segment is inversely proportional to its prettiness)

GotG queue will forever feel like a morgue though. A mouseoleum for UoE. :cry:

Skibum1970

They built Mission: Space and what happened?

Probably splitting hairs but there is a difference between a centrifuge and a coaster. For instance, my equilibrium doesn't agree with being spun but I'm fine with coasters. Plus, Mission Space received bad press when a few people died due to heart issues. So, while I am not too interested in the centrifuge, I will happily ride a coaster. While acknowledging that WDW is different than Cedar Point, the lines at Cedar Point are with the coasters and not the spinners.

ToTBellHop

Probably splitting hairs but there is a difference between a centrifuge and a coaster. For instance, my equilibrium doesn't agree with being spun but I'm fine with coasters. Plus, Mission Space received bad press when a few people died due to heart issues. So, while I am not too interested in the centrifuge, I will happily ride a coaster. While acknowledging that WDW is different than Cedar Point, the lines at Cedar Point are with the coasters and not the spinners.
Yes, but Disney gets serious issues when it builds anything with considerable intensity.

The Empress Lilly

There will be a hike from unload. I’d imagine with a level change and pretty things to look at on the walls during it.
Vintage EPCOT managed to design rides with both an entrance and an exit at the pavilion's entrance, plaza, or relevant post-show.

No hikes anywhere. Unlike Soarin', Imagination, Test Track, Mission:Space, GotG, Rat.

Clowns and dwarfs making a mockery of the work of gods.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Vintage EPCOT managed to design rides with both an entrance and an exit at the pavilion's entrance, plaza, or relevant post-show.

No hikes anywhere. Unlike Soarin', Imagination, Test Track, Mission:Space, GotG, Rat.

Clowns and dwarfs making a mockery of the work of gods.

Another classic design is Grand Central Terminal in NYC, Just watch how the traffic flows it's almost impossible to bump into someone unless done deliberately. And it's done in very subtle ways with ramps and staircases to gently guide the crowds in a optimal traffic pattern.

The reason why this is the case is in the past engineers were made to study both the theoretical and the practical side of engineering. When I took my mechanical engineering courses REQUIRED courses were 'Machine Tool Methods' i.e. machine shop where engineering students learned to run a lathe, milling machine and surface grinders as well as machine setup and layout.

Much whining about learning 'blue collar' skills but we quickly learned that while it's easy to design a part in CAD it's a lot harder to design a part that can manufactured economically as each step taken costs time and money to complete.

Engineers but especially Imagineers for the most part USED to be 'Renaissance Men' with skills in multiple domains including art and music, Now too many engineers are overspecialized and have no expertise outside of their domain and we see the results in poorly designed products and systems every day.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Except there’s no reason why aliens are hanging out in the American pavilion.
Did you not watch one single episode of The X-Files???
1525185559750.png

lazyboy97o

Another classic design is Grand Central Terminal in NYC, Just watch how the traffic flows it's almost impossible to bump into someone unless done deliberately. And it's done in very subtle ways with ramps and staircases to gently guide the crowds in a optimal traffic pattern.

The reason why this is the case is in the past engineers were made to study both the theoretical and the practical side of engineering. When I took my mechanical engineering courses REQUIRED courses were 'Machine Tool Methods' i.e. machine shop where engineering students learned to run a lathe, milling machine and surface grinders as well as machine setup and layout.

Much whining about learning 'blue collar' skills but we quickly learned that while it's easy to design a part in CAD it's a lot harder to design a part that can manufactured economically as each step taken costs time and money to complete.

Engineers but especially Imagineers for the most part USED to be 'Renaissance Men' with skills in multiple domains including art and music, Now too many engineers are overspecialized and have no expertise outside of their domain and we see the results in poorly designed products and systems every day.
Huh? The organization of spaces is the realm of architecture and not engineering. Many, many Imagineers were not engineers either. Disney’s change in how spaces are approached is not an engineering issue, much less one of engineering education.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Huh? The organization of spaces is the realm of architecture and not engineering. Many, many Imagineers were not engineers either. Disney’s change in how spaces are approached is not an engineering issue, much less one of engineering education.

Architecture is the engineering of spaces and a heck of a lot of architects also have their P.E. stamp and a lot of places you cant call yourself an architect UNLESS you have your P. E. stamp.

Just ask any owner of a Frank Gehry building what the budget is for leak repair. They would have appreciated a bit more engineering...

So yeah engineering education is relevant here.

lazyboy97o

Architecture is the engineering of spaces and a heck of a lot of architects also have their P.E. stamp and a lot of places you cant call yourself an architect UNLESS you have your P. E. stamp.

Just ask any owner of a Frank Gehry building what the budget is for leak repair. They would have appreciated a bit more engineering...

So yeah engineering education is relevant here.
That’s not true at all. Architects are architects, not engineers. Waterproofing is an architectural detail, not an engineering detail. Architects who are also professional engineers are a rarity. No state requires architects to be professional engineers, but architects can legally do at least some engineering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom