News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

BrianLo

It's a definite shift since the "active voice" antics were no longer holding sway.

To the point though, I would be interested in the ancillary conversation around the parks essentially needing upwards of $1 billion in investments just to "repair" what is there without adding anything. The breakdown would be fascinating. In this case that was more of the impetus for asking for the source than my admittedly usual role of "Captain Callout" in these occasions.

As they say on the Twitters:

"Big...if true."

For point of reference, Paris was in a far more tragic state than WDW has ever remotely approached. Really they've revamped the place now almost from head to toe. Euro Disney S.C.A. certainly didn't even have a billion dollars lying around to do it.

The question also comes down to what is 'repairing'? Does a completely brand new Imagination attraction need to be the criteria? Does Carousel of Progress need new scenes to be repaired? Or does everything just need to be in perfect working order with the current show. Those are different sets of numbers entirely.

I highly, highly doubt WDW has 5 billion worth of legitimate problems. I mean the place can certainly be a money pit too, just look at Tom Stagg's MDE. Easily you could spend 5 billion dollars updating and refreshing, but that gets beyond the hyperbole of 5 billion strictly needed strictly for refurbishment. 5 billion if it's refurbishment + replacement, sure.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The question also comes down to what is 'repairing'? Does a completely brand new Imagination attraction need to be the criteria? Does Carousel of Progress need new scenes to be repaired? Or does everything just need to be in perfect working order with the current show. Those are different sets of numbers entirely.

I highly, highly doubt WDW has 5 billion worth of legitimate problems. I mean the place can certainly be a money pit too, just look at Tom Stagg's MDE. Easily you could spend 5 billion dollars updating and refreshing, but that gets beyond the hyperbole of 5 billion strictly needed strictly for refurbishment. 5 billion if it's refurbishment + replacement, sure.
Considering how long WDW has been running the Omnimovers and tracked rides, and the antique state of most of that equipment, I'd estimate that forklift replacement of all those attractions would run in the low billions, if not up to the 5 billion number referenced (assuming, of course, they wanted to replace the current attractions with substantially identical ride systems).

I don't think MK is at a "crisis" point for attraction replacement, but if WDW were to practice prudence, and prefer to incrementally replace those "classic" dark-ride attractions, they'd clearly compound the already complicated crowd-control conundrums that currently crop-up.

jakeman

For point of reference, Paris was in a far more tragic state than WDW has ever remotely approached. Really they've revamped the place now almost from head to toe. Euro Disney S.C.A. certainly didn't even have a billion dollars lying around to do it.

At the end of the day though...a number was cited with a source alluded to. Five billion to "repair" the parks seems like a thread that wouldn't have gone unnoticed around here. Pointing everyone in that direction on the off chance that it was overlooked (and is true) seems like a prudent thing to do given the high interested just an offhanded mention here has generated.

EDIT: Until a quote is provided to further springboard this conversation, I would assume it's best to treat it as we would anything from @ford91exploder and dismiss the claim.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

At the end of the day though...a number was cited with a source alluded to. Five billion to "repair" the parks seems like a thread that wouldn't have gone unnoticed around here. Pointing everyone in that direction on the off chance that it was overlooked (and is true) seems like a prudent thing to do given the high interested just an offhanded mention here has generated.

EDIT: Until a quote is provided to further springboard this conversation, I would assume it's best to treat it as we would anything from @ford91exploder and dismiss the claim.

Agreed. I wouldn't hold your breath expecting him to come back and cite his sources.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hold your horses. MK and WDW are not in a crisis state. If you've been to central shops you'd know that they have many people fixing many ride vehicles. It's standard procedure that ride vehicles go in for repairs periodically. I can excuse shingles missing because contractors are probable still swamped after Irma.
There’s a lot more than ride vehicles that need attention. Shops will be working a little less recently too.

GlacierGlacier

Hold your horses. MK and WDW are not in a crisis state. If you've been to central shops you'd know that they have many people fixing many ride vehicles. It's standard procedure that ride vehicles go in for repairs periodically. I can excuse shingles missing because contractors are probable still swamped after Irma.
I was at Central back in November, at least one of nearly every ride vehicle was there. Constant construction, repair, and maintenance. It's quite a beauty to see.
The parts that need work, however, like tracks, some effects, and the buildings that house rides, restaurants, and everything else need more (and faster) work than is currently happening.

wdwgreek

Agreed on Spirit. Not really trying to badmouth him, per say, lol, I just didn't think a lot of the rhetoric was 'necessary' to get the point across, but to each their own I guess. He and I disagreed here and there at times but when you got past the rhetoric ....]

Spirit's character was part of his shtick, it was a disgruntled old guy. I liked it, the sarcasm was over the top in order to get his point across, especially over the internent where tone is lost. Sure he could have been sly and understated, but the extra/ over the top messages made it a bit more fun.

Castle Cake Apologist

Spirit's character was part of his shtick, it was a disgruntled old guy. I liked it, the sarcasm was over the top in order to get his point across, especially over the internent where tone is lost. Sure he could have been sly and understated, but the extra/ over the top messages made it a bit more fun.

His constant personal attacks against other people and his spreading of weird conspiracy theories was a bit much, though.

jakeman

His constant personal attacks against other people and his spreading of weird conspiracy theories was a bit much, though.
The information received was rarely worth the manner in which it was delivered.

wdwgreek

The information received was rarely worth the manner in which it was delivered.
The personal attacks were definitely egregious at times, but i took them with a huge grain of salt given the persona he created. Giving it credence or serious attention was more then it needed, given how flippant he was most of the time. The fact he delivered such small nuggets in such a grand way was his character and is why his threads became so popular. Compare him to Martin, who delivers real information, in concise civil way. Martin is a credit to the fan community and universally appreciated, but he is not a character in the way Spirit made a cult of personaility. which was fun but not serious. Martin has a gravitious and respect spirit never had.

jakeman

The personal attacks were definitely egregious at times, but i took them with a huge grain of salt given the persona he created. Giving it credence or serious attention was more then it needed, given how flippant he was most of the time. The fact he delivered such small nuggets in such a grand way was his character and is why his threads became so popular. Compare him to Martin, who delivers real information, in concise civil way. Martin is a credit to the fan community and universally appreciated, but he is not a character in the way Spirit made a cult of personaility. which was fun but not serious. Martin has a gravitious and respect spirit never had.
The forum would be a better place if folks didn't feel the need to have a shtick.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Humbled :happy:

Castle Cake Apologist

Different strokes, I guess. I found Spirit unbearable a lot of the time. Not to mention the weird cult-like following he had, as though he was the end-all of the WDW Insider community.

Martin is a class act and delivers information with great discretion. I always thought Spirit could have learned a thing or two from him.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

How can you say they have nothing in common when you then go on and say they are both sci fi? Does that not make them apt for a compare and contrast? Unless you mean in terms of quality, then I agree -- they have nothing in common. Stranger Things is highly immersive and relatable; Guardians of the Galaxy is over-rated and cheesy.

Also, Millie Bobby Brown > Chris Pratt (whom I legitimately liked in Parks & Recreation).

But I digress.
re-read what I wrote, then come back to me please.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom