News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kman101

That's always been my biggest issue with his posts. He occasionally manages to make a valid point, but it's too lost in a sea of hyperbole and conspiracy.

But watch him turn out to be right, and TWDC goes out of business in five years.

I used to suggest to him to tone the hyperbole down so the point could come through but I was told I was picking on him so I stopped. I think he's a bit better than the hyperbole. It's just a copy job of a certain Spirited poster who often was blunt and slightly negative, though I always appreciated and respected the information he gave us and when away from the hyperbole of his threads, he did care about the company so I was able to look past the things I wasn't a fan of in his posts (though in a lot of ways correct and accurate, it just often got lost in the name-calling and rhetoric that everything is horrible).

Anyway ... how about that Guardians coaster? ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But watch him turn out to be right, and TWDC goes out of business in five years.
Not the whole company. ABC/Disney's too big as a media/entertainment company to fail.

But there's nothing to keep them from deciding that theme parks is not in their core competencies, and sell them off...

Castle Cake Apologist

I used to suggest to him to tone the hyperbole down so the point could come through but I was told I was picking on him so I stopped. I think he's a bit better than the hyperbole. It's just a copy job of a certain Spirited poster who often was blunt and slightly negative, though I always appreciated and respected the information he gave us and when away from the hyperbole of his threads, he did care about the company so I was able to look past the things I wasn't a fan of in his posts (though in a lot of ways correct and accurate, it just often got lost in the name-calling and rhetoric that everything is horrible).

Anyway ... how about that Guardians coaster? ;)

Yikes, we cannot disrespect the almighty Spirit around these parts! But, no, I agree on that as well. Spirit came with great info, but it was so wrapped in bitter rhetoric that it was almost impossible for me to get through most of the time. Nothing but needless personal attacks and blistering negativity. He loves his conspiracies, too. Like how MagicBands were developed with the government to track citizens. :rolleyes: You know it's bad if I think something is too negative!

And yeah, howabout them Guardians! Can't wait to wander through the corpse of one of my favorite WED attractions while I wait 5 hours to ride a 45 second launch coaster. The fact that my beloved UoE is being used just for queue space is baffling to me. And more than a little depressing.

Kman101

And yeah, howabout them Guardians! Can't wait to wander through the corpse of one of my favorite WED attractions while I wait 5 hours to ride a 45 second launch coaster. The fact that my beloved UoE is being used just for queue space is baffling to me. And more than a little depressing.

Agreed on Spirit. Not really trying to badmouth him, per say, lol, I just didn't think a lot of the rhetoric was 'necessary' to get the point across, but to each their own I guess. He and I disagreed here and there at times but when you got past the rhetoric ....

Anyway ... :hilarious: at the quoted post. It is indeed sad it's all going to be queue space. For a coaster. Sigh. And guests will think it's just the greatest ever too because it's a fun and kewl coaster (like how Guardians of the Tower gets fervently defended -- I think it seems like a fun take on the drop tower, I just don't think it was necessary to put Guardians there, and where it made sense, at the time, in Paris, they aren't putting it there ... but it's also more central to the entrance of the Studios in Paris so maybe theme won out for a change). I actually really like Guardians but I'm so bummed at how they've implemented them. Decisions like Guardians, Frozen and certain IP use make it hard for me to be able to support IP that isn't, in my eyes, a shoe-horn. I definitely have mixed feelings on IP in Epcot. I think in certain cases, it CAN work. I understand despising the idea that they have to use them everywhere. And it's a little sad they think original things can't stand on their own (and that's not just a Disney problem; look at all the reboots, remakes, etc.) when that's what made them stand out. But I think it's also unrealistic to not expect them to use certain franchises/IPs, even in Epcot. (Not really all of this is geared towards you, just talking in some generalities)

Castle Cake Apologist

Not the whole company. ABC/Disney's too big as a media/entertainment company to fail.

But there's nothing to keep them from deciding that theme parks is not in their core competencies, and sell them off...

I would think P&R makes them far too much money for that to be realistic. But, honestly... would that be the worst thing in the world? Assuming they could continue to use WDI in some capacity for design, it may not be the end of the world if a company more willing to spend money (in order to make money) stepped in and took over.

It sure works for TDL and the OLC...

Kman101

I would think P&R makes them far too much money for that to be realistic. But, honestly... would that be the worst thing in the world? Assuming they could continue to use WDI in some capacity for design, it may not be the end of the world if a company more willing to spend money (in order to make money) stepped in and took over.

It'd be nice if someone who truly cared about the parks bought them and ran them, like Disney and OLC ...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

I'm sure any sale would come with licensing and long-term commission agreements... and remember what happened to the Busch parks after InBev decided they didn't want to run theme parks.

lazyboy97o

I'm sure any sale would come with licensing and long-term commission agreements... and remember what happened to the Busch parks after InBev decided they didn't want to run theme parks.
Busch Entertainment was never really expected to make money and wasn’t set up as its own self-contained business unit. That’s a rather radical shift to go from advertisement/loss-leader/hobby to independent company barreling towards an IPO.

jakeman

It's bizarre how he throws out 'facts' like this. But I do agree it appears they run the parks like they're going out of business, when in reality we know they aren't (why do they need to cut some character meet and greets to add others, I get budgets and all but we know they often cut things - this is just an example of why I feel like they run things like they're broke). But the hyperbole is real with his post ... it's a shame any bit of a solid point gets lost because of the hyperbole.
It's a definite shift since the "active voice" antics were no longer holding sway.

To the point though, I would be interested in the ancillary conversation around the parks essentially needing upwards of $1 billion in investments just to "repair" what is there without adding anything. The breakdown would be fascinating. In this case that was more of the impetus for asking for the source than my admittedly usual role of "Captain Callout" in these occasions.

As they say on the Twitters:

"Big...if true."

Kman101

It's a definite shift since the "active voice" antics were no longer holding sway.

To the point though, I would be interested in the ancillary conversation around the parks essentially needing upwards of $1 billion in investments just to "repair" what is there without adding anything. The breakdown would be fascinating. In this case that was more of the impetus for asking for the source than my admittedly usual role of "Captain Callout" in these occasions.

"Big...if true."

If true it's a conversation that should be had.

I don't recall seeing anyone say that on here, though. So I think you had every right to ask for facts in this case and a source. He often does this.

Castle Cake Apologist

"Big...if true."

There's certainly a TON that needs fixing and replacing, but the numbers he threw out seem a bit high to me as well.

Although, when you add up every little thing across the entire property... who knows. There's so many light bulbs that need replaced and attraction effects that need repaired. Not to mention situations like Space Mountain, which essentially just needs to be torn out and rebuilt at this point. And then there's the yeti...

_caleb

It is indeed sad it's all going to be queue space.
And gift shop?

Why do you find it sad? Does it seem like a waste of space?

To me, it's great that they left themselves a lot of room to do something really neat with the queue and preshow. So much of an attraction's story and immersion depend on a good preshow. If they do it right, it could be fun, interesting, variable, and help make the whole thing make some sense.

_caleb

I would be interested in the ancillary conversation around the parks essentially needing upwards of $1 billion in investments just to "repair" what is there without adding anything. The breakdown would be fascinating. In this case that was more of the impetus for asking for the source than my admittedly usual role of "Captain Callout" in these occasions.
I agree. Where's that thread?

gustaftp

These two have nothing in common.

One is a terror scifi esque based in retro design. Mixing different subgenres.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a space sicfi comedy based on comics.

How can you say they have nothing in common when you then go on and say they are both sci fi? Does that not make them apt for a compare and contrast? Unless you mean in terms of quality, then I agree -- they have nothing in common. Stranger Things is highly immersive and relatable; Guardians of the Galaxy is over-rated and cheesy.

Also, Millie Bobby Brown > Chris Pratt (whom I legitimately liked in Parks & Recreation).

But I digress.

Kman101

And gift shop?

Why do you find it sad? Does it seem like a waste of space?

To me, it's great that they left themselves a lot of room to do something really neat with the queue and preshow. So much of an attraction's story and immersion depend on a good preshow. If they do it right, it could be fun, interesting, variable, and help make the whole thing make some sense.

I think they'll do it well, of course (meaning I think the pre-show should be great, I have no doubts there). I just wish a ride were going in the building, not just the preshow, queue, gift shop. But if it's a well done experience, it may not be 'sad' per say but it's sad in the sense I wish it were housing a dark ride. They have room behind the pavilions ...

RSoxNo1

My mistake. I thought they could us Marvel branding everywhere but Florida, because I knew California could use the characters or families not being used etc etc. so I always assumed California could use both and that's what the whole "East of the Mississippi" stipulation was about. Oops.
The park isn't called Disney's California Adventures, that's what I assumed you were complaining about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom