News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Your rebuttals are getting worse and worse... time to step up your game a bit ;)

Next time at the GF look up, It might save your life or show you the lack of maintenance peeling paint and falling masonry was never a feature of WDW in the pre-Iger days but it sure is omnipresent today.

Frankly I'm starting to care less and less about the rotting corpse that is WDW these days, So I'm saving my best material for other venues.

Kman101

It's really not rotting though. Certain maintenance issues remain, of course. Not excusing it, but how often do you all clean your fans? ;)

I know it's hard to imagine but the resort isn't the deplorable swamp people make it out to be. Not that there aren't a lot of issues that need fixing (sounds like poor upper management needs to be cleaned out). It's easy to be jaded and look at everything as negative when you become disenchanted with something. I get it.

jakeman

It's really not rotting though. Certain maintenance issues remain, of course. Not excusing it, but how often do you all clean your fans? ;)

I know it's hard to imagine but the resort isn't the deplorable swamp people make it out to be. Not that there aren't a lot of issues that need fixing (sounds like poor upper management needs to be cleaned out). It's easy to be jaded and look at everything as negative when you become disenchanted with something. I get it.
Or make things up...

RobotWolf

As an effort to be fair, I should admit that the original attraction didn't completely work for me. I loved the preshow. It could have been an attraction unto itself. The intro movie was great. And as an animatronics aficionado, I freaking loved the dinosaur scenes.

But after that, it really pooped out. The movie at the end was long and boring to me. "Shale! The rock that burns!"

The outro of the last movie was fun again. It kind of lifted your spirits back up to EPCOT Center level.

But it was no Horizons or World of Motion. It was a cool dinosaur show that they made you sit through a lengthy film to enjoy.

They should have made it nothing but dinosaurs. Then the ride vehicle could blather about shale! all it wants.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Scary thing is the dinosaur myth is what I was taught in school.

It's sad about so many things taught in grammar school is just wrong from science to history to grammar. There's a whole cottage industry on the Internet of lists of "Things You Were Taught Which Are Wrong!" From the atomic planetary model to Columbus to never split infinitives. And taught by people who graduated college!

Cesar R M

Good point. I agree.

Off topic, but Bill Nye is a sham, IMO. He is nothing more than an actor with a degree in mechanical engineering. Dont get me wrong, that is a nice degree to have, but how does that qualify him to speak about Dinosaurs, global warming, or the moon landings? lol. If there is anything I dont mind about the attraction changing, its his bad edutainment.
What makes Bill Nye special is that he can understand science terms and simplify them to explain to the masses.

Even the most expert and amazing scientists fail at this, because science is way too complex for the normal everyday joe.
Thats why an entertainer with a role is..

Also as far I know, you do not need a PhD to be a "scientist" or investigator.
It helps but is not a requirement.

It's sad about so many things taught in grammar school is just wrong from science to history to grammar. There's a whole cottage industry on the Internet of lists of "Things You Were Taught Which Are Wrong!" From the atomic planetary model to Columbus to never split infinitives. And taught by people who graduated college!

Agree. Not to mention that a lot of things that were once declared "truth" were then superseded, improved or cancelled by new findings.
Science-Knowledge isnt an unchangeable table written in rock. It needs to be updated and expanded as more information is revealed or found.

Also that sometimes personal vendettas, bias, politics and other things can also slowdown, block or reduce the authenticity of the information taught and given by schools.

In 1982 dinosaurs were single colours too.
And now, all dinosaurs might be all a bit like fluffy giant birds..

vmGhewG.png

For example, if Swans were drawn in the way most people think that dinosaurs looked like..

1523400108820.png

Nice example of more Animals in the "Dinosaur" way:

https://kottke.org/17/11/how-todays-animals-would-look-if-drawn-like-dinosaurs

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I don't think it should be a "gag", but I would love if they respectfully incorporated the song and pushed the 1980s-aspect of the Guardians of the Galaxy in order to somehow make it a "Peter Quill love story" of the 1980s EPCOT Center, then I wouldn't feel quite so negative about it.

I re-watched GOTG last night. I still don't understand why this movie is popular. Stranger Things (another 1980s-based adventure thriller) is a million times better. Of course, Stranger Things isn't trying too hard to be funny.
These two have nothing in common.

One is a terror scifi esque based in retro design. Mixing different subgenres.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a space sicfi comedy based on comics.

Not excusing it, but how often do you all clean your fans?

This is a deluxe hotel, not a bachelor's home.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

We visited Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa in December 2017 and March 2018. There are numerous shingles missing on the roof of the main building (visible when driving up) and surrounding buildings (with rooflines visible from the monorail). It is incomprehensible that anyone in a management level position would want a first time guest arriving at a resort, with nightly room rates comparable to a monthly mortgage or rent, to see a roof in disrepair. When exteriors are not maintained, most people rightfully assume that the interiors are equally poor or worse.

Also, the next time you get off the monorail, look up at the white ceiling fans. Unless something has changed since the first week of March, you will find the ceiling fans to be coated in a combination of dust and black residue.

I try not to take in the details anymore when I wander the resort, because I find more things that have likely needed a work request for years.

The state of Disney Deluxe Hotels is truly embarrassing. From the lack of upkeep, to the stale room decor, the lack of restaurant quality or availability (thanks DDP), lack of technology and the truly embarrassing level of service (anybody remember the days when a valet would warmly greet you, opening your car door or hotel staff might remember you by name?).

Ripken10

in the teachers defense...while they may have graduated from college, they don't have any say in the curriculum that they must teach. Why so many teachers I know are actually getting out of teaching is rooted in this. But that certainly has nothing to do with Guardians of the Galaxy...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The problem with WDW is how its been run over the past decade and especially the last 3-4 years. The vibe one gets is 'Going Out Of Business'. Threadbare carpets, peeling paint, rotting woodwork falling masonry. Parts falling off the monorail. These are all signs of a vast maintenance debt caused entirely by choices made in the executive suite NOT TO MAINTAIN THE PARKS but instead extract cash to use elsewhere. Right now according to some insiders the parks need 3-5 billion in REPAIRS ALONE and that number is only going to increase. Yet if maintenance had not been slashed that would have been a couple hundred million per year but hey you dont get bonuses for doing necessary maintenance. You do get bonuses for 'saving millions' and creating a huge problem for the next guy.

The problem of course is with current management the problems will only grow in scope because of TWDC's desire to paint a false picture of the company's overall financial performance.

matt9112

The "oil comes from dinosaurs" myth was/is very persistent, thanks in large part to a decades-long ad campaign by Sinclair Oil, which played fast and lose with geological history in order to sell more nickel-poisoned gasoline.

Exxon and/or the Imagineers who worked on Energy happily capitalized on the myth.
(Skip to around 10:00)

side note why do old films always have that jumble before the film? not just the count down but all the stuff before hand?

jakeman

The problem with WDW is how its been run over the past decade and especially the last 3-4 years. The vibe one gets is 'Going Out Of Business'. Threadbare carpets, peeling paint, rotting woodwork falling masonry. Parts falling off the monorail. These are all signs of a vast maintenance debt caused entirely by choices made in the executive suite NOT TO MAINTAIN THE PARKS but instead extract cash to use elsewhere. Right now according to some insiders the parks need 3-5 billion in REPAIRS ALONE and that number is only going to increase. Yet if maintenance had not been slashed that would have been a couple hundred million per year but hey you dont get bonuses for doing necessary maintenance. You do get bonuses for 'saving millions' and creating a huge problem for the next guy.

The problem of course is with current management the problems will only grow in scope because of TWDC's desire to paint a false picture of the company's overall financial performance.
Interesting.

Can you provide a quote regarding the 3-5 billion number?

Kman101

Interesting.

Can you provide a quote regarding the 3-5 billion number?

It's bizarre how he throws out 'facts' like this. But I do agree it appears they run the parks like they're going out of business, when in reality we know they aren't (why do they need to cut some character meet and greets to add others, I get budgets and all but we know they often cut things - this is just an example of why I feel like they run things like they're broke). But the hyperbole is real with his post ... it's a shame any bit of a solid point gets lost because of the hyperbole.

Castle Cake Apologist

It's bizarre how he throws out 'facts' like this. But I do agree it appears they run the parks like they're going out of business, when in reality we know they aren't (why do they need to cut some character meet and greets to add others, I get budgets and all but we know they often cut things - this is just an example of why I feel like they run things like they're broke). But the hyperbole is real with his post ... it's a shame any bit of a solid point gets lost because of the hyperbole.

That's always been my biggest issue with his posts. He occasionally manages to make a valid point, but it's too lost in a sea of hyperbole and conspiracy.

But watch him turn out to be right, and TWDC goes out of business in five years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom