Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haymarket2008

No, not necessarily.

You know, I just can't get past the feeling I've been feeling recently that the Bob's want to "Universal-fy" the theme parks, in an off-shoot of Uni's "Ride the Movies" premise. It started with the changes to PotC to incorporate the movie into the ride that inspired the movie (Likely something Iger wanted when he took the reigns from ME). The changes to the Tower out in CA. You'll be piloting the Millennium Falcon on both coasts... some year in the future. Pandora. FEA. Continued rumblings about GotG going in somewhere at WDW. If I want to just "ride the movies", I'll go up I-4. I want original, classic, timeless rides and attractions like those that endeared WDW in the hearts and minds of millions. I don't want a bunch of "de-risked" attractions completely tied to various IP because that's the "safer" option. Sadly, I don't see any of that happening in today's TWDC, at least not while the Bob's and their MBA ilk are in charge, pushing synergy and BRAND at every opportunity in their never-ending quest to satiate Wall St. ANALysts while treating guests like walking ATM's.

I'm with you there, wholeheartedly. The best Disney has to offer, in my tastes at least, comes from wholly original experiences. Let's hope there is a resurgence of those times in the not too distant future. Everything comes in waves.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So does that mean GotG is the reason behind this permit filing?

That's the question of the day!! Hopefully someone can clue us in. Very interesting permit :)

This is a permit to prepare the area for building work. A month ago I'd have said it's for the Guardians addition to the Energy pavilion.

Now I'll say it's for a proposed addition to the Energy pavilion.

lazyboy97o

It seems like this project is full steam ahead once again. Personally I don't buy the idea that they are preparing construction but haven't decided on a proposal.
If you've paid for the engineering work on adjusting/increasing your impermeable space, why would you delay moving forward? This isn't a permit for a building or even part of a building. It is a water management permit and they can proceed everything from a new sidewalk to an entire new park.

Bacon

Looks like we might have the first permit for this project. A permit was filed with the South Florida Water Management District today to re-route the canal behind Energy and create two new retention ponds (POND-20 and POND-21). The permit provides the reason for this work as:

"The applicant wishes to reconfigure the existing canal to provide a more-contiguous area for possible future changes to parking capacity and back of house areas. A spur of the existing canal is proposed to be filled so that a more developable area is provided."

It also says:

"The possible future impervious areas were estimated based on manual take-offs of the input received by the applicant. The area where the construction laydown is to be located is assumed to have paved roadways into the area, a number of construction trailers as impervious, and the remainder of area to be gravel."

View attachment 205123
It just misses WOL
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

jbolen2

Yes. For now.

Always strikes me lazy to see these buildings empty at Epcot, i remember being a child and seeing it all in its glory.

This is a permit to prepare the area for building work. A month ago I'd have said it's for the Guardians addition to the Energy pavilion.

Any insight in to the sudden change of heart they had?

Mike S

If you've paid for the engineering work on adjusting/increasing your impermeable space, why would you delay moving forward? This isn't a permit for a building or even part of a building. It is a water management permit and they can proceed everything from a new sidewalk to an entire new park.
5th gate confirmed, Sidewalkland!!!

Next up, Escalatorland!!!

HMF

I will stand by cautious optimism in that case.

aladdin2007

Maybe someone in WDI realized that it wouldn't fit Epcot or is that too much to hope for?

I imagine (or hope anyway) some of them still get Epcot and want things that would fit well, but its chapek thats the problem or the "bobs". At the same time though todays imagineers are no tony baxters, unfortunately.

Reactions: HMF

Goob

Instead of doing all this work, why don't they just demolish that building that's on the water next to Test Track and build something there? Every time I go to Epcot I wonder what the plan is for that very big eyesore.

Stripes

Are we getting something better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom