Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Norrie

I actually don't mind IP's being placed in Epcot, as long as it isn't a blatant Merchandising scheme (Cough... Frozenstrom... Cough)...
If it fits the intent of Epcot, I can see it being useful. Let's not forget: Figment (who is almost universally loved on this board from what I can see), is an IP, although purpose-created for Imagination. Remember that Epcot Center was all about Edutainment? You can't have that without the entertainment portion, and IP's can help to bridge that gap. As I said though, as long as it fits (I don't see the value in placing IP's in World Showcase, let the cultures be the selling point there)...

Earl Sweatpants

I actually don't mind IP's being placed in Epcot, as long as it isn't a blatant Merchandising scheme (Cough... Frozenstrom... Cough)...
If it fits the intent of Epcot, I can see it being useful. Let's not forget: Figment (who is almost universally loved on this board from what I can see), is an IP, although purpose-created for Imagination. Remember that Epcot Center was all about Edutainment? You can't have that without the entertainment portion, and IP's can help to bridge that gap. As I said though, as long as it fits (I don't see the value in placing IP's in World Showcase, let the cultures be the selling point there)...
I'd much rather see more purpose-built IPs like Figment being created for Epcot than trying to shoehorn ones from their back catalogue.

ParentsOf4

Not really. Years of underinvestment are now clearly showing in guest surveys and their opinion.
Don't forget that Iger always had an excuse to delay traditional theme park investments at WDW:
  • after watching Eisner's last few theme park ventures crash-and-burn (OK, overstatement - "underperform" is more accurate), theme park novice Bob Iger was in no mood to spend money at Parks & Resorts upon assuming the mantle of Disney CEO,
  • then the Great Recession hit - another reason to delay WDW investments,
  • 2 new cruise ships were Parks & Resorts next priority - poof, there goes another $1.8B that could have made its way to Orlando,
  • and Disney's California Adventure (a priority for West Coast Disney executives) finally got the TLC it needed - another billion not spent at WDW,
  • during this time someone had the "great" idea that My Disney Experience represented the future of theme parks, :rolleyes:
  • finally Shanghai became Iger's "legacy" pet project - there goes a couple billion more not spent at WDW.
It's just WDW's time. WDW is way overdue for some serious lovin'. :)

Last edited:

Mike S

Don't forget that Iger always had an excuse to delay traditional theme park investments at WDW:
  • after watching Eisner's last few theme park ventures crash-and-burn (OK, overstatement - "underperform" is more accurate), theme park novice Bob Iger was in no mood to spend money at Parks & Resorts upon assuming the mantle of CEO,
  • then the Great Recession hit - another reason to delay WDW investments,
  • 2 new cruise ships were Parks & Resorts next priority - poof, there goes another $1.8B that could have made its way to Orlando,
  • and Disney's California Adventure (a priority for those Disney executives living on the West Coast) finally got the TLC it needed; another billion spent not at WDW,
  • during this someone had the "great" idea that My Disney Experience represented the future of theme parks, :rolleyes:
  • finally Shanghai became Iger's "legacy" - there goes a couple billion more not spent at WDW.
It's just WDW's time. WDW is way overdue for some serious lovin'. :)
#1 could look iffy when you look at the fact that some of Eisner's last additions to WDW went on to be extremely popular like Soarin' and Everest. Although it didn't open until 2008, I think I remember @WDW1974 saying that TSMM was actually approved under Eisner. Depending on perspective it could've shown that continued investment in WDW was a correct move.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There is a win-win in this scenario of rebuilding Epcot. Since Disney wants IP/character based attractions, why not build attractions featuring their very own new and unique characters? They could sell merch based off the new character and attractions while not not having to dive into their own assortment of pre-existing characters.

If executed properly, they could even spin the attractions into movies or Disney XD shows. (think POTC or HM) while allowing Epcot to somewhat keep its dignity of not being 100% fantasy based.

NearTheEars

They did. Imagination. Cranium Command. And more.

There's as much overlay proposed as new build. And no new specifically designed for the park IP.

Going forward they will no longer design any attractions featuring new characters. The board/CEO knows they are sitting on tons of IP that can be shaped into a lot of things, so the easy decision for them is to use it. They see it as a win-win. And I honestly see no problem with that if it's a new build, or if the overlay is done extremely well.
But those are two big ifs...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

There's as much overlay proposed as new build. And no new specifically designed for the park IP.
Ya, Imagination and Cranium Command were actually the two that had me thinking "why not give it another shot", only with a new "2017" twist. So are you saying there are actually a no new ideas involving new attraction based characters?

HauntedMansionFLA

Is the old World of Life pavilion being worked into the plans? Work could be done there without causing any disruption to guest experience at the park along side the rebuild of Ellen's energy. We actually went on the ride early this month and enjoyed it. All it really needs is a nice update . It's a shame.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Going forward they will no longer design any attractions featuring new characters. The board/CEO knows they are sitting on tons of IP that can be shaped into a lot of things, so the easy decision for them is to use it. They see it as a win-win. And I honestly see no problem with that if it's a new build, or if the overlay is done extremely well.
But those are two big ifs...
Exactly.

It's a huge problem if it's in the wrong park. Or we get the MK2.0 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom