Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

EPCOT was virtually IP-less. Any that were there were created for the park. Not shoved in for corporate synergy.

Absolutely. But "adding IP" doesn't make a park "like MK". The castle parks have always had a healthy mix of established IPs and new park specific concepts and have well established cohesive themed lands. Haphazardly adding IPs to Epcot does not make it "like MK".

It would be more correct to complaint about the addition of IP to Epcot as making the park "a second DHS".

Earl Sweatpants

Absolutely. But "adding IP" doesn't make a park "like MK". The castle parks have always had a healthy mix of established IPs and new park specific concepts and have well established cohesive themed lands. Haphazardly adding IPs to Epcot does not make it "like MK".

It would be more correct to complaint about the addition of IP to Epcot as making the park "a second DHS".
It depends on the IP. Where Epcot starts to become MK (to me at least) is with the inclusion of Princesses. Princesses belong in Magic Kingdom. The ONLY hold-out would be including Mulan in China due to her rich storied heritage. Its the same reason why Little Mermaid feels SO out of place at DCA.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Adding more IP would further dilute Epcot (not EPCOT Center) and make it more of a generic theme park than the unique place it once was. Better? :)

Right now I know of potentially 15-ish IPs being considered for Epcot.

lazyboy97o

Oh, I'm not saying Epcot should be converted into something similar to MK. Just that the oft repeated "we don't need a second MK" gripe doesn't make much sense. I'd love another park in Orlando with the scope of a castle park (as TDS is).

That being said, adding IPs to Epcot doesn't make it "another MK" -- if anything, breaking theme actually makes it less like MK.
Agreed. A park built around franchises isn't Magic Kingdom 2, it's Islands of Adventure 3.

The_Jobu

Dr. Strange > ToT

58569113949023fc7f343e5597126d6ef01615fa208605df3d4413cc57db6279.jpg

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Thinking more Tomorrow Land with a hint of Adventure Land, but in reference to your point, in essence yes.

I love Epcot, but it does feels tired and is suffering from an identity crisis. Unless they really invest in ground breaking technology which they showcased in the 90's, the direction needs to change, in my humble opinion.
Inside Out, Tron would work in Future World, especially if they did something sensory for Inside Out, not necessarily a ride but something based on how the brain works or something along these lines.
I understand your point, and in many ways I agree as we have MK, HS and AK. Why do we need another park along the same lines? But I just feel Walt's original vision is not really respected by the new generation of theme park visitors (my children for example) and whilst I would love something for them which makes them think, I cant see Disney going for it.
Hence the recommendations, cant beat them join them :)
Your claiming that they should remedy Epcots identity crisis by giving it the identity of another park. You are right back to were you started. I do not believe there is anything such as a "new generation of theme park visitors". There is more of a new generation of "instant gratification, participation trophy, made up gluten allergy, live my life on Facebook generation" which consists both of children and adults alike.

I see mothers at the grocery store attempting to emulate their 15 year old daughter (sweat pants with a bedazzled "juicy" across the butt). These are the people that don't know what they want. Sadly, they make up the majority and will trust what the DPB and mommy bloggers vomit up.

doctornick

Right now I know of potentially 15-ish IPs being considered for Epcot.

I'm scratching my head at even what 15-ish different IPs could be under consideration and make sense. Then again, since GotG is one of them, anything is pretty much fair game. I hope at least stuff that does make sense (e.g. Big Hero 6 in Future World) is being considered not just weird fits like GotG or Frozen.

Kman101

Since there are a lot of upcharges and money grabbing going on, why haven't they re-opened Odyssey as a restaurant. They could even put character dining in there. Are they worried it would take away from the Princess breakfast? I know it's used for things but it's such a large space that often sits empty (at least some of the time). And didn't Odyssey once have that (character dining?) or am I dreaming that?

Kman101

I could get behind that particular idea haha

as well with the tony baxter mary poppins ride in the UK pavilion.

Since they're dropping IPs into Epcot, I'd be more than fine with Rat and Mary Poppins. Those would be great additions. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem like they want to develop non-IP attractions at this point so if we're getting rides, I'd be happy with those two. Poppins probably isn't a reality, but hey, if GMR goes down, they do have that portion they could bring over ;)

aladdin2007

Since there are a lot of upcharges and money grabbing going on, why haven't they re-opened Odyssey as a restaurant. They could even put character dining in there. Are they worried it would take away from the Princess breakfast? I know it's used for things but it's such a large space that often sits empty (at least some of the time). And didn't Odyssey once have that (character dining?) or am I dreaming that?

yes heaven forbid if they moved the princess breakfast there instead, which is where it really should be. this has been debated over nad over I know but they have way too much crammed into Norway ruining it, the two lines in the courtyard are a mess for frozen and akershus.

Last edited:

Earl Sweatpants

I'm scratching my head at even what 15-ish different IPs could be under consideration and make sense. Then again, since GotG is one of them, anything is pretty much fair game. I hope at least stuff that does make sense (e.g. Big Hero 6 in Future World) is being considered not just weird fits like GotG or Frozen.
Here's just a stab at speculations:
World Showcase:
-Ratatouille (France)
-Pinocchio (Italy)
-Big Hero 6 (either Japan or FW)
-Aladdin (Morrocco...it's a stretch)
-Coco (Mexico)
-Mulan (China)
-Mary Poppins or Alice (England)
Future World:
-GotG
-Dr Strange
-Tron
-Wall E
-BH6
-Inside Out

Dang...that's only 14 and some of those were really pushing it.

Haymarket2008

Here's just a stab at speculations:
World Showcase:
-Ratatouille (France)
-Pinocchio (Italy)
-Big Hero 6 (either Japan or FW)
-Aladdin (Morrocco...it's a stretch)
-Coco (Mexico)
-Mulan (China)
-Mary Poppins or Alice (England)
Future World:
-GotG
-Dr Strange
-Tron
-Wall E
-BH6
-Inside Out

Dang...that's only 14 and some of those were really pushing it.

Throw in Mr Toad's Wild Ride into the U.K. pavilion and all problems will be fixed. (Also Brother Bear in Canada?)
All kidding aside, that list seems to cover most of the presumed IP's....I seem to recall hearing @marni1971 saying Mulan wasn't a part of the plans. Which is a darn shame because if we're going to get the IP treatment, I'd have her top of the list to make her home at World Showcase.

Earl Sweatpants

Throw in Mr Toad's Wild Ride into the U.K. pavilion and all problems will be fixed. (Also Brother Bear in Canada?)
All kidding aside, that list seems to cover most of the presumed IP's....I seem to recall hearing @marni1971 saying Mulan wasn't a part of the plans. Which is a darn shame because if we're going to get the IP treatment, I'd have her top of the list to make her home at World Showcase.
Mulan would make the most logical sense to be incorporated into World Showcase...so naturally that would be the one they're NOT considering...:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom