Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earl Sweatpants

So fix it properly. Not with the quick and easy MK2.0 route.

Not that I'm being dragged into an armchair imagineering debate.
Yes. We already have one MK, we don't want another. At the very least, Epcot needs to retain its status as unique among the rest of the parks. IP inclusion can and will work there, so long as its done properly and befitting the larger overall theme (aka NOT Fro-strom).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Disney doesn't have the IPs that 'work' in "Future World", well, then, it should buy them!

Remember WDW bought access to Star Wars for Star Tours long before they bought LucasFilm, and they're buying into Avatar without outright buying the IP from Cameron.

So, if Disney has a dearth of IPs that work for Future World, what IPs could they license or outright buy in order to make the magical synergy work?

• There's Star Trek. The ST Experience in Las Vegas failed and so, there's a property available for a theme park, and there's a new TV series coming out.
  • The Martian: maybe they can make some deal with Fox to pick this up and get the Fantastic 4 back at the same time. Imagine an immersive Martian biodome that leads to a simulator ride on the surface of Mars.
  • Men in Black... er.. no. Water World... er.. no. Jurassic World.. no. Back to the Fut... no.

OK, then, WALL*E and Tron it is.

Earl Sweatpants

If Disney doesn't have the IPs that 'work' in "Future World", well, then, it should buy them!

Remember WDW bought access to Star Wars for Star Tours long before they bought LucasFilm, and they're buying into Avatar without outright buying the IP from Cameron.

So, if Disney has a dearth of IPs that work for Future World, what IPs could they license or outright buy in order to make the magical synergy work?

• There's Star Trek. The ST Experience in Las Vegas failed and so, there's a property available for a theme park, and there's a new TV series coming out.
  • The Martian: maybe they can make some deal with Fox to pick this up and get the Fantastic 4 back at the same time. Imagine an immersive Martian biodome that leads to a simulator ride on the surface of Mars.
  • Men in Black... er.. no. Water World... er.. no. Jurassic World.. no. Back to the Fut... no.
....or it could just create something new....?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
....or it could just create something new....?

Yes, they can. They can do the Martian biodome without any IP tie in.

However, it seems they've given themselves the self-imposed restraint of using their IPs (or maybe buying more). So, given that restraint, we're supposing what they could possibly do.

Maybe an IP focus will lead to individual attractions that have an excellent self-contained theming even if it doesn't mesh with a whole "World" theme. Because, remember, for a few decades, Future World didn't have that IP restraint, and it has led to a mixed bag of pavilions, some of which don't even follow the theme of "Future World" (I'm looking at you, Soarin' and big ol' aquarium) nor have excellent self-contained theming (I'm looking at you, queues to Soarin' and to Spaceship Earth).

Mike S

Nope. Just fanboi wishing.
A very strange wish. The ride doesn't even seem all that impressive. If we got a clone from Shanghai I'd hope more for Pirates.

500x300x7.jpg.pagespeed.ic.loGwyYgSzG.jpg

Earl Sweatpants

Yes, they can. They can do the Martian biodome without any IP tie in.

However, it seems they've given themselves the self-imposed restraint of using their IPs (or maybe buying more). So, given that restraint, we're supposing what they could possibly do.

Maybe an IP focus will lead to individual attractions that have an excellent self-contained theming even if it doesn't mesh with a whole "World" theme. Because, remember, for a few decades, Future World didn't have that IP restraint, and it has led to a mixed bag of pavilions, some of which don't even follow the theme of "Future World" (I'm looking at you, Soarin' and big ol' aquarium) nor have excellent self-contained theming (I'm looking at you, queues to Soarin' and to Spaceship Earth).
That's Iger to Imagineering 101: Think outside of the box...so long as that ultimately fits inside this larger IP box we're giving you to play with.

Granted yes, not everything in Futureworld was explicitly "future" oriented...and I'd be all in favor of them changing FW into something more all-encompassing like Discoveryland or some such thing, where IP and original ideas can coexist in blissful harmony all with the centralized themes of pushing boundaries of discovery across our world. It would easily fit the mold of all the original pavilions: Space, Land, Seas, Imagination, Body, etc.

Cesar R M

Theres always Cosmos, both the new one and the Sagan's version..

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Seems like the simple solution for GotG is to shoehorn them into Mission:Space. That would take care of the "IP plus value imagineering" mandate. Energy pavilion BH6 or Wall-E. I have a feeling I'll be disapointed with whatever is planned especially if a coaster is already 100% confirmed. But I guess anything will be better than Ellen's Energy Adventure.

... a Cosmos attraction would be great#

Last edited:

doctornick

That's the way it was designed. Epcot was never meant to be MK jr.

Oh, I'm not saying Epcot should be converted into something similar to MK. Just that the oft repeated "we don't need a second MK" gripe doesn't make much sense. I'd love another park in Orlando with the scope of a castle park (as TDS is).

That being said, adding IPs to Epcot doesn't make it "another MK" -- if anything, breaking theme actually makes it less like MK.

Earl Sweatpants

Oh, I'm not saying Epcot should be converted into something similar to MK. Just that the oft repeated "we don't need a second MK" gripe doesn't make much sense. I'd love another park in Orlando with the scope of a castle park (as TDS is).

That being said, adding IPs to Epcot doesn't make it "another MK" -- if anything, breaking theme actually makes it less like MK.
IMO it has already started with the inclusion of Frozen (a ride that truly belongs in Fantasyland). The more IP that gets retrofitted in, unless it aims to serve the purpose of its new destination, it will grow more into an MK type experience.

The Empress Lilly

EPCOT is an IP, the greatest TWDC has ever developed. Why lessen it with inferior IP's.

EPCOT's theme is an overarching one. It buttresses the entire park, makes the total more than the sum of its parts, and makes the total give the parts added meaning in return.

I'd love a second MK. I think that a great solution to many of WDWs ills.

But we don't need EPCOT as second MK.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Seems like the simple solution for GotG is to shoehorn them into Mission:Space. That would take care of the "IP plus value imagineering" mandate. Energy pavilion BH6 or Wall-E.

GotG is too Fantasy for Epcot, IMO. And if you do use fantasy, it should be at the service of edutainment in Epcot. So, to sort the IPs...

DHS
GotG > RnRC
Dr. Strange > ToT
Incredibles and Inhumans > on the ashes of the BatB theater

MK Tomorrowland
WiR Candy Rush > Stitch
Cars > Speedway
A good Stitch ride > expanded pad next to Space Mt.
Tron > expanded pad next to Space Mt.

Epcot
BH6 coaster > On the ashes of Ellen's Energy
WALL*E > On the ashes of the Body Pavilion
Inside Out + Figment > Imagination Pavilion
COSMOS / super planetarium > on the ashes of Innovention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom