Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorterRedkey

Guardians beat a non IP overhaul so they do have other ideas.

...but those non-IP ideas were beaten out by a Marvel property. I am glad they have other ideas, but what good are they if the IP rides win out? Is there still a chance that the non-IP idea could win? Or is this just hope that future additions to Epcot will be non-IP based?

clemmo

At least it's better than GOTG on TOT. Still not ideal though. I'm more excited for what could hopefully happen to WS. I'd love for some new shows and attractions there maybe even a new pavilion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I just don't understand what the "theme" of any of these parks are anymore. Random IP everywhere. Some IP used in multiple parks.

That's because DHS stopped being an active studio for movies, TV, and animation that you could tour, just like the studio lots in Hollywood and Burbank. So, no more behind the scenes, it's only living in the scenes, which encompasses a wide range of possible IPs.

Then, MK has a problem with Tomorrowland in that they don't have enough Fantasy Science IPs to make rides out of. So, do you just put in a basic ride and slap a spacey theme on it like the Astral Orbiter and call it a day?

Or, in the case of not only Tomorrow Land but also Future World in Epcot, their non-IP "here's the future" pavilions/rides quickly become outdated and need continual revitalization. Technological showcase pavilions at actual World's Fairs get torn down after a year and brand new ones are made a decade later at the next World's Fair. They don't become stale that way. The pavilions at Future World continually became stale. Not to mention there's nothing "Future" about a lot of the pavilions they put in there: An aquarium, a hang gliding tour of the world, a car testing track, the current state of energy... not "The Future!".

Rodan75

The only time his dead eyes light up is whenever he talks about how much he "appreciates" the Star Wars fans. I don't believe for a second that he cares about the Star Wars IP for anything other than a money printing machine. In fact, I don't believe that he cares about any Disney owned IP, especially if it's not an unlimited withdrawal ATM. He simply uses the mostly popular ones to make as much money as possible in every square inch of the park. He doesn't care about creative or pushing innovative ideas. Why should he when all he has to do is throw in a popular IP and watch the money flow? Shareholders pat him on the head and say good boy.

How can we have faith in the company when it's being run by someone with that mindset? It gives me little hope for the future of Epcot and the rest of the P&R.

I think he is genuinely a fan. You don't see him talk about Marvel or Pixar with the same light he talks about SW.

Luxe

That's because DHS stopped being an active studio for movies, TV, and animation that you could tour, just like the studio lots in Hollywood and Burbank. So, no more behind the scenes, it's only living in the scenes, which encompasses a wide range of possible IPs.

Then, MK has a problem with Tomorrowland in that they don't have enough Fantasy Science IPs to make rides out of. So, do you just put in a basic ride and slap a spacey theme on it like the Astral Orbiter and call it a day?

Or, in the case of not only Tomorrow Land but also Future World in Epcot, their non-IP "here's the future" pavilions/rides quickly become outdated and need continual revitalization. Technological showcase pavilions at actual World's Fairs get torn down after a year and brand new ones are made a decade later at the next World's Fair. They don't become stale that way. The pavilions at Future World continually became stale. Not to mention there's nothing "Future" about a lot of the pavilions they put in there: An aquarium, a hang gliding tour of the world, a car testing track, the current state of energy... not "The Future!".
I'm going to post a quote from @RSoxNo1 because he painted a fantastic picture of some changes to the parks. To me, this would fix many issues with cohesion and identity in the parks.

"What needs to happen is a clear definition of Future World, World Showcase, and Epcot as a whole. As part of this, they can also define Tomorrowland.

Personally, I would like to see Future World gravitate towards the realistic, grounded in science, non-IP vision of the Future and/or Discovery. I'd like to see Tomorrowland be the futuristic representation as explained in Disney movies. This would allow for things like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Tron and even Wreck it Ralph.

I've also suggested moving not just a re-done Carousel of Progress to Future World but also a re-done Space Mountain. Aside from the exterior building, Space Mountain needs a full tear down and while it's not tied to a movie, it is a pseudo franchise in itself and could be Epcot's first true coaster.

My re-done Future World would have the two Tomorrowland transplants as well as "it's a small world" bridging the gap between Future World and World Showcase as a perfect transition between the two areas.

For pseudo original ideas, I'd like to see Neil degrasse Tyson represented somehow in Epcot, perhaps in a Cosmos based attraction or for a more out there idea - a replacement for Dreamfinder. Sticking with the former (Cosmos based attraction), add in a redone Imagination, the 3 Magic Kingdom transplants and you've got a Future World that should intrigue both the fanbois as well as the casual visitor.

Since I'm throwing out hairbrain ideas, why not continue with Horizons Century 3 and evicting Nemo from The Seas (or potentially closing the Seas entirely). The last thing that I'd really like to see would be a PeopleMover in Future World.

As for World Showcase, I've been a vocal critic of Frozen, but I think characters in World Showcase are unavoidable. So if they can help do it in a way where the characters are addressing culturally relevant things like Ratatouille or Coco I can get on board a bit more than Frozen Ever After.

Sorry for the brain dump." - @RSoxNo1

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Then, MK has a problem with Tomorrowland in that they don't have enough Fantasy Science IPs to make rides out of. So, do you just put in a basic ride and slap a spacey theme on it like the Astral Orbiter and call it a day?.

So do something original. Shock horror. CoP, Space Mountain, Timekpeeper, Alien Encounter. Even Dreamflight.

And Astral Orbiter??

FigmentJedi

For pseudo original ideas, I'd like to see Neil degrasse Tyson represented somehow in Epcot, perhaps in a Cosmos based attraction or for a more out there idea - a replacement for Dreamfinder. Sticking with the former (Cosmos based attraction), add in a redone Imagination, the 3 Magic Kingdom transplants and you've got a Future World that should intrigue both the fanbois as well as the casual visitor.
Much as I like Neil, he's too much of a buzzkill about scientific accuracy to be a new Dreamfinder. Like he's made so many tweets correcting inaccurate science in fantasy/sci-fi or common phrases that it's become a meme.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So do something original. Shock horror. CoP, Space Mountain, Timekpeeper, Alien Encounter. Even Dreamflight.

Well, yeah, there's always that. I'm talking about what WDW might do given the current self-imposed restriction to add more IPs. Under their own restrictions, it is difficult to add to or retheme what's currently in Tomorrowland. Using their own IP restrictions, we could triple the size of Fantasyland, but Tomorrowland and Future World IPs are sparse and most of the ones that exist aren't that popular.

And Astral Orbiter??

Yeah, I... umm... was... suggesting that become a Doctor Strange ride through the Astral Plane. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Cesar R M

So it's an interview where a guy agrees with his boss while his boss says what a good boss he is?

Now I'm extra glad I didn't watch it.
Exactly what I was thinking lol, that video sounds and looks like a total circle j...k.

Oh, that is such a totally unbiased take on the interview. Thank-you for it!
As opposed to the CEO of a company being interviewed about how much he likes a product by one of the directors and employees of said product?
Lmao...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Cesar R M

I honestly believe that some IP can age badly.
Who knows how this version of GOTG will fare. GOTG has been reshaped a tons of times already in the few years it has been popular (since the overhaul during the War of Kings and Annihilation saga).

I think he is genuinely a fan. You don't see him talk about Marvel or Pixar with the same light he talks about SW.

If every product of your company made 2+billion per issue. I would be a "fan" too :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom