Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

The history of our planet is very much open to interpretation. Too controversial for Disney. But I like where your head is at.
Root it in generally accepted science and you'll be safe. Sure we may uncover inaccuracies, but that's inevitable. They already have to deal with dinosaur species being declassified/reclassified, controversial discussions on energy, and a history report in SSE. This isn't new territory.

V_L_Raptor

Planetariums. You could do Cosmos. You could do shows featuring IPs (Miles, GotG, Pigs in Space) or not. Change the shows regularly. Buy already created planetarium shows. Produce their own planetarium shows and after a period of exclusivity, sell them to other planetariums. Plus the planetarium experience with 4D elements (smells, wind, fog, reclining and moving chairs). It's basically a theater on the ceiling. Put in four theaters for high throughput. Make the queue an event unto itself. Set up the theaters for conferencing and lectures (or parties or 'events') after hours. You can have one person making a presentation that all four theaters can see. Become the yearly destination of astronomy conventions. What better fits sitting in between Spaceship Earth and Mission: Space?

A Cosmos-based planetarium show could also be presented at Dr. Tyson's home institution, where a rather well built planetarium is literally the center of the Rose Center for Earth and Space. Planetaria in general, though, aren't anywhere near the elaborate presentation spaces Epcot calls for. It's a screen on a dome, and in a pinch, it's a screen on the underside of a tarp when the outreach department at [insert museum here] does a remote presentation at a school or community event. Change the seating arrangement, and some institutions do the same shows using an OMNIMAX dome (I think Orlando Science Center does this). Historically, Disney's involvement hasn't been necessary to get some fairly well done shows into circulation.

Epcot isn't just another natural history museum or science center.

Last edited:

V_L_Raptor

In 1940, Disney made a segment in Fantasia about evolving from single cell animals. In Dinosaur, you learn that dinosaur are from a time more than 5,000 years ago. Disney has shown in many ways that they don't cater to a religious right-wing Christian fundamentalism (and many Christians and Christian denominations, such as Catholicism don't have a problem with evolution).

So, I don't think a scientific history of Earth is off the table.

@marni1971 , you may have better information than I do (I'm fairly sure you do), but wasn't there some pushback for The Sea back in the day because of its deep planetary time implications and statements? I seem to remember hearing that a while ago.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 , you may have better information than I do (I'm fairly sure you do), but wasn't there some pushback for The Sea back in the day because of its deep planetary time implications and statements? I seem to remember hearing that a while ago.
I never heard that one. I do know the Seas went through two re designs as the scale and story changed when United Tech came on board. I've got the date at home when it was put "on hold" circa 83-4.

There was a curious hybrid version part Seas, part Living Seas too during this time period.

But there again, Energy and Motion (and Imag) had radical changes due to various reasons during development. The Land possibly had the biggest. I wouldn't put any down to any religious or controversial reasons.

Last edited:

V_L_Raptor

I never heard that one. I do know the Seas went through two re designs as the scale and story changed when United Tech came on board. I've got the date at home when it was put "on hold" circa 83-4.

There was a curious hybrid version part Seas, part Living Seas too during this time period.

But there again, Energy and Motion (and Imag) had radical changes due to various reasons during development. The Land possibly had the biggest. I wouldn't put any down to any religious or controversial reasons.

The pavilion, absolutely, but what about that movie? (That's what I was wondering about, because it seems like a smaller piece that's easier to snag on someone's sensibilities.) That said, if they could show a film on Martin Short covering the birds and the bees...

Cesar R M

I know the Catholic Church accepts scientific theories. Heck, the guy who came up with the big bang theory was a priest.
Most modern Catholics you mean. Back in the old times.. out of nowhere.. with no explanation...
iaD6fTJ.jpg

clemmo

So i've been off the forums recently but decided to start catching up, still rather confused does anyone know what's up with this project? Last I checked in it was back to TOT but then that leaves Energy with nothing.

Monoblanco13

So i've been off the forums recently but decided to start catching up, still rather confused does anyone know what's up with this project? Last I checked in it was back to TOT but then that leaves Energy with nothing.
BOTH are in the air, no confirmations, we are still waiting for news

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

At a D23 event it was announced that GotG was definitely not coming to DHS. But we haven't seen the exact wording or a video of it to see if there was wriggle room for something else other than GotG, such as Doctor Strange. Plus, corporate execs come and go...

The source of the GotG rumors at Ellen's left us with "still planned but not budgeted", which means pretty much anything can happen. The other big source says GotG is out of the running for Ellen's, but not totally out of contention for somewhere else and more than likely Ellen's will be bulldozed as part of a revision of Future World. But again, things are up in the air and other stuff dealing with the central hub around Innoventions is likely to happen first. But, without a budget, there's nothing firm yet.

tl;dr - Disney still doesn't know what they want to do for sure.

Monoblanco13

Better than TOT, but still should have it's own attraction, not shoehorned into an existing one. :banghead:
Considering how dated UoE is I am totally OK with them replacing the attraction. Considering most people including me skip the attraction on the norm, I need to force my fiance to go on it and she usually just falls asleep. My mother on the other hand says its a great ride .......to sleep. That said I really hope Disney does something with this space that is not a M&G or restaurant.

Princess Leia

Considering how dated UoE is I am totally OK with them replacing the attraction. Considering most people including me skip the attraction on the norm, I need to force my fiance to go on it and she usually just falls asleep. My mother on the other hand says its a great ride .......to sleep. That said I really hope Disney does something with this space that is not a M&G or restaurant.
To be honest... I don't think I've ever ridden UoE. I've been to Disney 5 times, and while it could have happened on that first trip, I don't remember being on it. While I've heard that it's extremely dated (and have seen picture evidence), there's no excuse for Disney leaving it to rot. It could be updated (and shortened a bit), and it'd be fine. Ellen, Bill Nye, and Jeopardy are all still popular. It just needs fixing up.
I love Guardians of the Galaxy, and I'm looking forward to the sequel. However, I don't think that sticking it in Energy is the solution. GOTG and Energy both deserve better.

Monoblanco13

To be honest... I don't think I've ever ridden UoE. I've been to Disney 5 times, and while it could have happened on that first trip, I don't remember being on it. While I've heard that it's extremely dated (and have seen picture evidence), there's no excuse for Disney leaving it to rot. It could be updated (and shortened a bit), and it'd be fine. Ellen, Bill Nye, and Jeopardy are all still popular. It just needs fixing up.
I love Guardians of the Galaxy, and I'm looking forward to the sequel. However, I don't think that sticking it in Energy is the solution. GOTG and Energy both deserve better.
If you ever get the chance try to ride it for yourself, it was a good ride, and there are parts that still shine. Unfortunately it seems like Disney could care less what we would like. I do hope in the future the Wonders of Life pavilion is doing something other than being the Festival Center for most of the year and storage for the rest, UoE and Imagination need lots of love as well. I want to be optimistic and believe Disney will address these plus other issues but so far it seems like we may just get more cupcake and dessert parties. Fingers crossed good things are to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom