Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkidkaz

But the question is, how much of that was mis-information, and how much was information that was correct at the moment, but changed.

I just can't buy that ALL this stuff is so in flux ALL the time. I feel like people get information about ideas and thoughts, but post them as fact. With the level of thought and detail that Disney puts into this stuff, not to mention all the work that would go into figuring out plumbing, sight lines and everything else that they would go from say Cars Land, to Monstropolis, to now Star Wars Land all taking over that same spot.

I'm not saying anyone's a liar, I just think they are so eager to "get the scoop" that they push this hear say stuff out as fact and then come back and say "oh Disney changed their mind".

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just can't buy that ALL this stuff is so in flux ALL the time. I feel like people get information about ideas and thoughts, but post them as fact. With the level of thought and detail that Disney puts into this stuff, not to mention all the work that would go into figuring out plumbing, sight lines and everything else that they would go from say Cars Land, to Monstropolis, to now Star Wars Land all taking over that same spot.

I'm not saying anyone's a liar, I just think they are so eager to "get the scoop" that they push this hear say stuff out as fact and then come back and say "oh Disney changed their mind".

I guess it really depends on what you define as "fact". If it's being seriously considered then at that moment it is a fact despite that fact that it changes later. I would agree that some of this probably didn't get past basic concepts and maybe some early design work. Some of it might have gone much further into design, only to find that costs were a concern. Finally, we know from Hyperion Wharf that somethings go VERY far before plans change.

Daveeeeed

The best pavilion? Please.

And ToT is now supposed to be a "classic". How standards have fallen. Good to know new management has plans. The more the better.
God:banghead: Do you seriously not freakin' understand???? The Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of The Caribbean, and Space Mountain are not only classics but iconic. Horizons was a classic, and so is Peter Pan's Flight & The Great Movie Ride, but Tower, Hm, Potc, and Sm are the ones basically anyone knows. Those four I mentioned first basically anyone will know just by looking at the building from the outside what it is. Those are iconic. Spaceship Earth is iconic. The Tower of Terror is iconic. Those are classics also. It would be killing two birds with one evil stone.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

While Guardians of the Galaxy is one of my favorite movies because it was so amazingly funny and unique. I was less than excited to hear rumors that the ride could take the place of one of my favorite rides. Which is Universe of Energy because it is something I grew up with and has always been one of my favorite attractions. But I do agree that it has needed an update for a while now and have always wanted it to get one. Although there has been a lot of back and forth as to where the attraction may go I still believe it is a good fit for Epcot. I just don't think it should go where Universe of Energy because it would feel to forced. Like they are trying to put another space IP even though Mission: Space is already there.
So I feel that Mission: Space is the best spot because of a few reasons. Most Epcot fans don't like Mission: Space to much because it replaced Horizons. So I feel as if they could apply a Gaurdians of the Galaxy theme to Mission: Space it would be a good fit in Future World. Not only because it is a space themed IP but because people have really connected with these characters and they are now being used to inspire others. Such as Groot and Rocket Raccoon are being put on the official emblem for astronauts going to the International space station. And also are going to be used to promote STEM projects in schools. There were some rumors saying that Mission: Space would be getting an update. But I believe that the money would be better spent on something that has to do the respective pavilion and could give Epcot a prearranged good attendance spike. I know that some of you guys aren't over the moon with IP in Future World. But I think could be a great improvement over what is there and add something cool an amazing park.View attachment 171888And here's a link to the video for the project:

I dont mind the patches/promotions as long they give money to the ISS and other NASA projects.
They are.. imho.. hurting despite their innovations and discoveries.

Cesar R M

I know. But they could shutdown, update and reopen the pallivions at a decent pace. Also, they could do something with WOL and wouldn't bother guests with downtime because it isn't being used except for F&W.
Considering the slow building of Disney.. that is "fast" by disney execs.. I wonder what "decent pace" would be for them.. 10 years?

Cesar R M

Yeah the misinformation here is just awful sometimes. In the last couple years CarsLand was coming, Star Wars land was taking over Indy, Studios was being renamed to Hollywood Adventure, Monstropolis, GotG was replacing Ellen, Frontierland was getting a huge makeover and the list goes on and on. The majority of major announcements is never even mentioned here or it ends up being stuff that is so vague or obvious. Star Wars Lamd comes to mind, I think it was a given everyone knew that would be coming. Pixar Land was another one that was mentioned here, but I don't ever recall anyone saying Toy Story Land until it was actually announced, everyone assumed it would be numerous Pixar IP's. Then you have stuff like the new water ride at Typhoon that was never even mentioned here. I personally think what @danlb_2000 does here is the best part of this site because it's based on facts.
Imho, most of the misinformation are by people who claimed to be insiders but never were. Others were speculating.
I think if we stay with the well known and well connected members of wdwmagic.. the percentage of guessed right would be way higher (like Marni, wdw1974 and a few others, like the one whos very well connected to the avatar project)

jt04

God:banghead: Do you seriously not freakin' understand???? The Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of The Caribbean, and Space Mountain are not only classics but iconic. Horizons was a classic, and so is Peter Pan's Flight & The Great Movie Ride, but Tower, Hm, Potc, and Sm are the ones basically anyone knows. Those four I mentioned first basically anyone will know just by looking at the building from the outside what it is. Those are iconic.

Nope. Sorry. 75% is classic caliber. The other 25% makes it unworthy of the honor.

Daveeeeed

Nope. Sorry. 75% is classic caliber. The other 25% makes it unworthy of the honor.
How???? What 5 rides in Orlando are better than it. I guarantee you can't do it. What is the 25%? I understand if you don't think it is as classic as the haunted mansion, but that doesn't make it right to retheme it, and it is also very very iconic.

Last edited:

clemmo

Wow so I've been off the blogs for a few days and I miss that GOTG has move once again from Energy to TOT? I'd take GOTG in energy over the best version of TOT in a Disney theme park. Any ideas as to what will happen with the pavilion? I feel like this whole Epcot revamp is now going to lose a lot of steam.

djkidkaz

Imho, most of the misinformation are by people who claimed to be insiders but never were. Others were speculating.
I think if we stay with the well known and well connected members of wdwmagic.. the percentage of guessed right would be way higher (like Marni, wdw1974 and a few others, like the one whos very well connected to the avatar project)

As you mentioned, we occasionally get the random one off person who is actually working on the project and able to give details which is great. Those are the people I stick with and the permit guys.

But I look at WDW74 and he went from Tower in Florida is doomed, to Tower in Florida is safe, to Tower in Florida is doomed in 2 years. Really? 2 years? Why even report something like that when he himself states how quickly decisions change at the company? Your just doing it to get attention and a rise out of people.

SoManyWasps

As you mentioned, we occasionally get the random one off person who is actually working on the project and able to give details which is great. Those are the people I stick with and the permit guys.

But I look at WDW74 and he went from Tower in Florida is doomed, to Tower in Florida is safe, to Tower in Florida is doomed in 2 years. Really? 2 years? Why even report something like that when he himself states how quickly decisions change at the company? Your just doing it to get attention and a rise out of people.

I think it would be disingenuous for WDW74 to not post updates to the story as they become somewhat verifiable at this point. The constant flip/flop/flip/flop might come off as sensationalist, but I think is indicative of some greater trends going on within the company, which could inform the discussion of many other long term issues going on with the parks.

Cmdr_Crimson

@Cmdr_Crimson time to post your EPCOT meme again. ;)

Ha! My pleasure...
3814986.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

You could always ignore news and rumour and stay in general discussion.

jt04

How???? What 5 rides in Orlando are better than it. I guarantee you can't do it. What is the 25%? I understand if you don't think it is as classic as the haunted mansion, but that doesn't make it right to retheme it, and it is also very very iconic.

It can become more iconic with a retheme.

What holds it back is that you are jolted from the twilight zone to a view of the headwaters of the everglades mixed with the ride mechanics of a typical drop tower. Now this might have worked if it was incorporated into the storyline but it isn't. At least in any clear way.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the view and the drops but the ride narrative continuity is sorely lacking. Original Tiki Room outshines it for checking all the boxes of a classic Disney attraction. There are many other examples. Almost all involved Walt Disney. Imagineering seems to be working to bring back those original principles. So a ToT overlay should be a step in that direction.

Matt_Black

It can become more iconic with a retheme.

What holds it back is that you are jolted from the twilight zone to a view of the headwaters of the everglades mixed with the ride mechanics of a typical drop tower. Now this might have worked if it was incorporated into the storyline but it isn't. At least in any clear way.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the view and the drops but the ride narrative continuity is sorely lacking. Original Tiki Room outshines it for checking all the boxes of a classic Disney attraction. There are many other examples. Almost all involved Walt Disney. Imagineering seems to be working to bring back those original principles. So a ToT overlay should be a step in that direction.

... Man, what? I think your standards are far too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom