Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

roj2323

I see it more of a coaster capable of a range of speeds and different seating orientation. It only really evokes Horizons because of the way the vehicles are positioned. But it's clearly intended for faster motion and different angles than the side orientation, it even seems to have launch coaster like functionality.

And IF Disney were using this ride system for a GotG ride, I would not expect them to waste these innovations. If they were just making a slow moving ride, they could just replicate an old Horizons or omnimover ride system, which would be far cheaper and more familiar to them. There would be little reason to use this (no doubt expensive) type of ride system if they didn't plan on even utilizing the speed.

By the way, @Carousel Of Progress Love has been tweeting that the GOTG project was moved back over to DHS currently (NOT as a Tower of Terror replacement though). I don't know if THIS information is correct or up to date, but he has been very good about accurately reporting the recent Tomorrowland plussing going on.

That's a fan created animation and not reflective of the motor design and speed the motors are capable of.

lazyboy97o

If that's a rollercoaster so is every Omnimover. The only difference here is the riders back is to the track instead of their feet and instead of the ride vehicle being continuous it's in a long segment. Additionally for a ride to be a roller "coaster" the ride vehicle has to coast unassisted along a track. The length of this train in the video is too long to allow for coasting because as soon as it is at the top of the "lift hill" there's more drive motors in the track that control the train and there's magnetic brakes installed on the train to control the decent as well. This test assembly is likely to test the effectiveness of the magnetic brake setup on the train in controlling and maintaining a consistent safe speed going downhill. I will however admit that this is a hybrid rollercoaster / omnimover and it's never been seen before. The potential for an immersive omnimover with a thrill aspect is quite cool to consider.

Here's a backstage shot of Horizons track.
orlando2007_139.jpg

Spaceship earth - notice the rollercoaster type wheel setup and track.

spearth-rideveh.jpg
This prototype is testing one specific, unique functionality. It is a roller coaster.

ToTBellHop

If that's a rollercoaster so is every Omnimover. The only difference here is the riders back is to the track instead of their feet and instead of the ride vehicle being continuous it's in a long segment. Additionally for a ride to be a roller "coaster" the ride vehicle has to coast unassisted along a track. The length of this train in the video is too long to allow for coasting because as soon as it is at the top of the "lift hill" there's more drive motors in the track that control the train and there's magnetic brakes installed on the train to control the decent as well. This test assembly is likely to test the effectiveness of the magnetic brake setup on the train in controlling and maintaining a consistent safe speed going downhill. I will however admit that this is a hybrid rollercoaster / omnimover and it's never been seen before. The potential for an immersive omnimover with a thrill aspect is quite cool to consider.

Here's a backstage shot of Horizons track.
orlando2007_139.jpg

Spaceship earth - notice the rollercoaster type wheel setup and track.

spearth-rideveh.jpg
Yes, SSE and Figment are powered roller coasters.

Cesar R M

I see it more of a coaster capable of a range of speeds and different seating orientation. It only really evokes Horizons because of the way the vehicles are positioned. But it's clearly intended for faster motion and different angles than the side orientation, it even seems to have launch coaster like functionality.

And IF Disney were using this ride system for a GotG ride, I would not expect them to waste these innovations. If they were just making a slow moving ride, they could just replicate an old Horizons or omnimover ride system, which would be far cheaper and more familiar to them. There would be little reason to use this (no doubt expensive) type of ride system if they didn't plan on even utilizing the speed.

By the way, @Carousel Of Progress Love has been tweeting that the GOTG project was moved back over to DHS currently (NOT as a Tower of Terror replacement though). I don't know if THIS information is correct or up to date, but he has been very good about accurately reporting the recent Tomorrowland plussing going on.

is it going to be a mechanical or a magnetic launch style ?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yeah, I like the Monsters show, but it really doesn't belong in Tomorrowland.

This is slightly off topic, but has there EVER been a version of Tomorrowland in any Disney park that has exclusively "futuristic" content? I'm looking at the Indy/Tomorrowland Speedway, If you had wings/dreamflight/buzz, the America 360 movie....I think there's always been "today" things in Tomorrowland just because they didn't really fit anywhere else.

Anyway, back on topic, I really hope if they do convert UoE that they don't go out of their way to make the building hideous

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
But Vekoma are in the mix.

Shouldn't come as a big surprise considering just about every coaster Disney has built in the past 30 years has been at least partially built by Vekoma... Rock N' Rollercoaster (DHS & DSP), Seven Dwarfs (SDL and WDW), Expedition Everest, Tron, Barnstormer, Grizzly Mountain, Thunder Mountain (DLP for sure.. possibly others).. only major exceptions (that I can think of) would be Intamin building California Screamin and the RC Racer halfpipe rides as well as the smaller wild mouse type coasters (both spinning and non-spinning) around the globe.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Any news from any other sources regarding the Energy replacement? Is it actually dead as the Carousel of Progress account reports?

I'm pretty sure this isn't dead. That's just going off what I've read on here. Maybe @marni1971 can shed some light on it though.

As far as I know it's still happening. Anything DHS related I don't know about.

NothingRhymeswithOrange

They have not even made an announcement and we know they move slower than Molasses in January... I think there is plenty of time to get your last ride in...lol
We probably have another year before this ride is actually closed. The way Disney conducts their new construction projects, my thinking is next September or October this ride will actually close. Though I wouldn't be surprised by a May closing date either, if Pandora is actually open at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom