Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

Well, the original concept was to brainwash the public into believing that Exxon is a responsible company with impeccable environmental scruples.
Absolutely, and the ironic thing was that when Exxon was attempting to sell us this garbage was during the time of the Valdez incident. Timing is everything, however, it seems that all has been forgiven now.

P.S. Even before the Valdez this show was nothing more then a 40 minute infomercial for Exxon. Left me shaking my head the very first time I saw it. It wasn't a terribly produced show, but, it was obviously a public relations film from the get go. In other words, I never found it "edutaining".

montyz81

Well, the original concept was to brainwash the public into believing that Exxon is a responsible company with impeccable environmental scruples.
As does General Motors now try to convince you that their cars are the best designed in the world with Test Track (which is laughable), as well as GE trying to convince you that only their appliances are the best ones to buy as you spun around the Carousel of Progress. Every sponsored ride/pavilion had a commercial associated with it. As a Disney fan, I have very much learned to take those commercials for what they are and focus on the fun and edutainment that some of these rides provide. Some of the education in UoE was sometimes actually fact and not an Exxon spin.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

As does General Motors now try to convince you that their cars are the best designed in the world in Test Track (which is laughable), as well as GE trying convince you that only their appliances are the best ones to by as you spun around the Carousel of Progress. Every sponsored ride/pavilion had a commercial associated with it. As a Disney fan, I have very much learned to take those commercials for what they are and focus on the fun and edutainment that some of these rides used to provide. Some of the education wasn't actually through the lens of Exxon.

Yeah, well, GE and General Motors didn't cover up evidence of global warming in the 80s.

Phil12

Again, isn't that sort of what the Carousel of Progress used to do with GE? It was an infomercial throughout. Test Track does the same thing today.
Companies such as United Technologies, AT&T, General Electric, General Motors, Exxon and others paid huge amounts to Disney for public relations. The attractions were designed to make those companies look good in the eyes of the consumer. The attractions were not designed to educate people. There was nothing wrong in what they did. It was just a different form of advertising. But make no mistake it's all propaganda pure and simple.

And let's be honest and practical here. The companies have a target audience which includes children. If the big companies can convince young children that they (the companies) make the best products in the world, that kind of advertising has a very powerful effect that could last for a child's entire life. I wonder how many people buy products because they are associated with Disney?

Some of you may recall that years ago all TV's and monitors in WDW were produced by Sony. The TV's in the resort rooms were Sony and the TV's in the attraction queues were also Sony. I used to hear people comment that since Disney used Sony TV sets, they must be superior to other sets. The power of such advertising is immense.

Last edited:

halltd

I found the original version exciting and inspiring. Far better than the wasted pavilion of the Ellen show.

Who knew oil shale was the rock that burns?
The pre-show technology was also awesome. And the catchy theme song? OMG, that still gets stuck in my head every time I go to Epcot! LOVE IT!

Feel the flow.....Here we go!.....Through the Universeeeeee of Enerrrgyyyyy

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20161014_203149.jpg
20161014_203130.jpg
With all of this change coming, I do appreciate these moments when the area around the pavilion is empty. It gives me a chance to sit here and just admire the greatness and splendor of what was once EPCOT Center

Edit 10/14/16: I should've tried to fit in the WOL pavilion since it's open at the moment. Sorry!

Last edited:

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Companies such as United Technologies, AT&T, General Electric, General Motors, Exxon and others paid huge amounts to Disney for public relations. The attractions were designed to make those companies look good in the eyes of the consumer. The attractions were not designed to educate people. There was nothing wrong in what they did. It was just a different form of advertising. But make no mistake it's all propaganda pure and simple.

And let's be honest and practical here. The companies have a target audience which includes children. If the big companies can convince young children that they (the companies) make the best products in the world, that kind of advertising has a very powerful effect that could last for a child's entire life. I wonder how many people buy products because they are associated with Disney?

Some of you may recall that years ago all TV's and monitors in WDW were produced by Sony. The TV's in the resort rooms were Sony and the TV's in the attraction queues were also Sony. I used to hear people comment that since Disney used Sony TV sets, they must be superior to other sets. The power of such advertising is immense.

Would you be in the camp that would accept a claim of inspiration, if not education?

My experiences with Epcot Center in my youth lit fires of curiosity within me regarding transportation, the sea, energy, and the concepts of communication, and I believe others would claim a similar experience. While the information I was exposed to in the various pavilions was by no means a complete breadth of knowledge, or complete education, it was nonetheless information that in many cases was new to me.

In this scenario, I feel it's fair to say I was both educated and encouraged to learn more.

Even if that was a marketing mistake, it occurred.

matt9112

And for those of us who might actually ENJOY a GotG attraction, well who cares about us, right?

I could say the same thing about people who dont care and dont enjoy it? I take no issue with GOTG i enjoyed the movie. I take issue with the parks being forced more or less to have all these IPs thrown in. I mean you cant argue this they where ok with killing arguably one of the best rides on property to do it. Thats my issue its not the IP its not the use of IPs in the parks its the blatant disregard for anything except (put this in the parks now)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As does General Motors now try to convince you that their cars are the best designed in the world with Test Track (which is laughable), as well as GE trying to convince you that only their appliances are the best ones to buy as you spun around the Carousel of Progress. Every sponsored ride/pavilion had a commercial associated with it. As a Disney fan, I have very much learned to take those commercials for what they are and focus on the fun and edutainment that some of these rides provide. Some of the education in UoE was sometimes actually fact and not an Exxon spin.

At least back in the CoP day the appliances were actually MADE by GE, Not whichever chinese or mexican factory bid highest this week to slap the GE logo on the product.... Yes sadly GE appliances these days are made under 'license'.

The Empress Lilly

If you're not returning for a year and want to see the sorry state of the pavilion I'd do it now.
Just to be safe rather than sorry, I rode it twice in a row this month. Then hung around all around the entire pavilion, having a good last look everywhere. Then the ride CM's called security on me. (Well who would sit through Jeopardy twice!) =D

Even in its current state, the ride is powerful and majestic. Nowadays one wouldn't want to touch the word 'energy' or 'resource' with a ten foot pole anywhere near the current slobs who infest the park and who are even more allergic to the word 'informative' than their kids are to the latest fashionable food allergy, but yet there it is, a remnant of classic EPCOT, product of an era when a complicated subject meant not you ignored it but took your time for it. And what a time, 45 minutes that left you uplifted, spirited, energised. This pavilion just needs to be upgraded, not idiotified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom