Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

Seems like Disney read my March 23 post when @WDW1974 reported that DHS's Tower Of Terror was the target of a potential GotG overlay. :D

Quoting part of it:

Seems to me that a better home for this is Epcot's Future World. The Wonders of Life Pavilion sits empty most days. Why not use it? (Can anyone say "Guardians of the Galaxy Pavilion"?) After all, once Pandora and the DHS redo are complete, Epcot is the theme park that will need the most TLC.

After all, doesn't Xandar kinda remind you of Future World:​

gotg fountain water.jpg

I almost never delve into creative matters at WDW. However, it's nice to know Disney listens to me when I do. ;)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
While I'm worried about the loss of theme coherency by shoehorning GOTG into Epcot, I'm also worried that you may also compromise the essence of GOTG by shoehorning Epcot into GOTG. While I believe most would think the former is worse, the latter could really limit the potential of GOTG Land.

Groot doesn't like being chopped up and burned for warmth. Starlord will now show us more efficient ways to make energy. Once WoL is demoed he will show us more efficient ways to make babies.

I dunno. Seems likes a perfect fit.

Donaldfan1934

Seems like Disney read my March 23 post when @WDW1974 reported that DHS's Tower Of Terror was the target of a potential GotG overlay. :D

Quoting part of it:

Seems to me that a better home for this is Epcot's Future World. The Wonders of Life Pavilion sits empty most days. Why not use it? (Can anyone say "Guardians of the Galaxy Pavilion"?) After all, once Pandora and the DHS redo are complete, Epcot is the theme park that will need the most TLC.

View attachment 148800

I almost never delve into creative matters at WDW. However, it's nice to know Disney listens to me when I do. ;)
I think @WDW1974 was being sarcastic. Its something he's very well-known to be.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Trying to find the bright side here, as this news had a serious negative impact on my day today.

1) at least Soarin won't be the worst thematic incongruity in Future World anymore.
2) I can stop thinking about legit ways Disney can revitalize Future World so it has the same impact it once did
3) frees up a day on my future trips to be able to give Universal at least a day for each of their parks.

Filby61

So I know this movie made a lot of money, but I saw it and wasn't blown away. What did I miss?

The spectacle of Chappie's DCP brigade drooling over the opportunity to impress Burbank with cheap ways to jam Marvel into the U.S. parks.

Mike S

EPCOT Center -> Epcot -> Ipcot

Oh how the mighty have fallen. There's really no stopping it. I've wanted a GotG E Ticket ever since I saw the movie. I guess I got my wish... :(
You summed this thread up perfectly. Although, I do want to elaborate on why we as fans should be listened to despite being a minority. No matter what fandom you are a part of, the general public, or filthy casuals as fans like to call them, will almost always outnumber the true hardcore fans unless said fandom is more of a cult following. However, its been shown in the past that when you alienate your core fanbase, it becomes increasingly evident that you can't rely on the casuals alone. Relating things to Disney specifically, many here have said that while the one and dones are a big part of Disney's revenue, there isn't an endless supply of them that can be relied on forever. Basically what I'm saying is the more devoted fans Disney alienates, the less devoted fans there will be to be gained in the future. If Disney continues with these consistently controversial decisions beyond Iger's tenure, it may not be a matter of if something will give, but when.
Case and point: Nintendo and the Wii. Look where relying on casuals and alienating their core fans led them.

Last edited:

WDW862

Trying to find the bright side here, as this news had a serious negative impact on my day today.

1) at least Soarin won't be the worst thematic incongruity in Future World anymore.
2) I can stop thinking about legit ways Disney can revitalize Future World so it has the same impact it once did
3) frees up a day on my future trips to be able to give Universal at least a day for each of their parks.

This is going to end up like Frozen Ever After, people thought it was going to be terrible. Then they blew us away with a highly advanced and themed ride.

WDW1974

Quoting part of it:

View attachment 148800

I doubt they are taking creative advice from you any more than they are moi. But I am SURE they are reading your posts as religiously as they do mine. Why they won't simply slide those contracts our way is another matter, certainly personal in my situation as you can never underestimate the depths of pettiness and insecurity Disney execs have.

That said, and this whole story sorta bothers me for many reasons (the stupidity of it and the complete destruction of EPCOT would be part, but I am talking of my sabbatical from the site that was going to start today!)

Now, despite the breathless notes I've been receiving, no one has told me exactly who 'placed' this information out to start with (no, not talking about me back when ToT was targeted). It almost seems like a UNI move with info leaked with intent ... since it was already sorta out ... to get people to stop talking about killer gators eating kids at the Grand Flo, terrorists attacking O-Town and George K going down for Disney's reactions/responses/behavior.

So ... where exactly did this come from?

Donaldfan1934

Four parks four separate themes. Now it is AK, World showcase and everything else is MK. How is DHS different from MK once the Studio theme has gone?
It'll still have the Hollywood theming upfront and will continue specifically celebrate the world of cinema. Do you honestly think that SWL would be a good fit for MK? I can assure you that the park will carry out a similar mission statement, but in the form of a full on theme park rather than that of a half theme park/half long dead working studio.

Last edited:

WDW862

Most of the criticisms of the Frozen ride were that it was not in an appropriate location, and that it would have poor capacity, both of which are true.

Frozen was done pretty well for the area it was in. I think its a good fit, where else would they put it? Fantasy land just had a huge expansion. Maelstrom was awesome, and ill miss it, but it was really outdated and needed a replacement.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
This is going to end up like Frozen Ever After, people thought it was going to be terrible. Then they blew us away with a highly advanced and themed ride.
Most of the criticisms of the Frozen ride were that it was not in an appropriate location, and that it would have poor capacity, both of which are true.

This.

I don't care how great the ride is. If it doesn't fit where it is located, I cannot enjoy it.
Ask anyone, like @MichWolv or @George how much I hated Soarin over California.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom