Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW862

Making money, and provide a high quality, well though out, and cohesively themed environment are not mutually exclusive. Disney didn't get where they are today by catering to every whim of the public, the did it by providing experiences that went beyong what the public ever imagined.

Who said GOTG won't be high quality? Frozen is great quality and will for sure make Epcot tons of money.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Who said GOTG won't be high quality? Frozen is great quality and will for sure make Epcot tons of money.

But randomly throwing attractions into a park without consideration to an overall theme huts the quality of the product, maybe not in the short term, but longer term it could do major damage. Yes, we don't know how GoTG will turn out, if it even happens, but Frozen doesn't give me reason to be skeptical.

ToTBellHop

You guys also have to realize that what people find entertaining has changed. Disney has to adapt or die. Gotg will bring in more money than Universe of Energy, An updated, modern Misson Space could bring more money than Horizons did.

Disney is a publicly traded company and their 1# goal is about making money.
Thank goodness Disney has finally learned how to make money with fine additions like FEA. Their first 55 years or so in the theme park business were really rough with empty parks. No one was interested in garbage like Jungle Cruise, small world, the mountains, etc.

WDW862

But randomly throwing attractions into a park without consideration to an overall theme huts the quality of the product, maybe not in the short term, but longer term it could do major damage. Yes, we don't know how GoTG will turn out, if it even happens, but Frozen doesn't give me reason to be skeptical.

If its done at Frozen quality, it will be very great for the park, if its a cheap overlay, Epcot will be hurting.

Unplugged

You guys also have to realize that what people find entertaining has changed. Disney has to adapt or die. Gotg will bring in more money than Universe of Energy, An updated, modern Misson Space could bring more money than Horizons did.

Disney is a publicly traded company and their 1# goal is about making money.
Unfortunately that's true. I say unfortunately as it is leaning towards the "Ignorance is bliss" side as opposed to the "World's Fair theme". I've always wondered (or at least since their Avatar deal), why they didn't get the rights to The Matrix so they could simply switch everything over to VR, plug guests in to their IP Moustrix ala special Mouse Ears, and power the parks at the same time.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
You guys are acting like Disney owes you something. The only group of people they owe is the shareholders.
1) I am a shareholder
2) I am a consumer of their product
3) I am a fanatic, a consumer of their product for the whole of my lifetime, and so far the whole of my children's lifetime. I am the kind of person they should want to have visit their parks. Someone who not only consumes the product, but one who shares my enjoyment with others, someone who thinks about their products when I'm nowhere near them. Someone who respects what they did to create this lifetime love for their park. Someone who will be their biggest cheerleader when they get things right. Who will think about it, talk about it, write about it with the world.
Of course, when they do something wrong. When they make a poor decision, I will also do so.
Disney once built a park that touched me on such a personal level that I honestly believe it became a part of who I am today. It sparked something in me that still resonates today, a decade and a half after they began reducing it to the lowest common denominator of entertainment.
No, Disney doesn't owe me anything. They gave me something great once. They've systematically ruined that, and now I cannot share that same thing with my children. I have to look elsewhere for the inspiration that once came from something that was more than a theme park. Will this affect them, or me in the long run? Probably not. I'll find those ways to inspire them. I just can't do that at Epcot anymore.

WDW862

Unfortunately that's true. I say unfortunately as it is leaning towards the "Ignorance is bliss" side as opposed to the "World's Fair theme". I've always wondered (or at least since their Avatar deal), why they didn't get the rights to The Matrix so they could simply switch everything over to VR, plug guests in to their IP Moustrix ala special Mouse Ears, and power the parks at the same time.

Explain why I should spend $1000s on a vacation to see VR if I could buy the HTC Vive for $800?

The old EPCOT Center was awesome, but now its time to let it go.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
1) I am a shareholder
3) I am a fanatic, a consumer of their product for the whole of my lifetime, and so far the whole of my children's lifetime. I am the kind of person they should want to have visit their parks. Someone who not only consumes the product, but one who shares my enjoyment with others, someone who thinks about their products when I'm nowhere near them. Someone who respects what they did to create this lifetime love for their park. Someone who will be their biggest cheerleader when they get things right. Who will think about it, talk about it, write about it with the world.
Of course, when they do something wrong. When they make a poor decision, I will also do so.
Disney once built a park that touched me on such a personal level that I honestly believe it became a part of who I am today. It sparked something in me that still resonates today, a decade and a half after they began reducing it to the lowest common denominator of entertainment.
No, Disney doesn't owe me anything. They gave me something great once. They've systematically ruined that, and now I cannot share that same thing with my children. I have to look elsewhere for the inspiration that once came from something that was more than a theme park. Will this affect them, or me in the long run? Probably not. I'll find those ways to inspire them. I just can't do that at Epcot anymore.

untitled.png

WDW862

1) I am a shareholder

Disney doesn't care about you on the personal level.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. I'm planing on buying passes again soon, as DHS and Epcot and AK are getting pretty awesome additions and maker overs.

zooey

Okay, many of us have always taken theme park design seriously as an artistic medium. Like ANY art form there is a heavily confluence of art and commerce. That doesn't mean "anything goes if it makes money." Things can be done satisfactory or they can be done ingeniously. Epcot used to be a (funny enough) Marvel of a themed environment. It had subtle but effective place making that transformed the visitor. It had genuine moments of education that could not be experienced in any other way. The experience of FW and WS as an unexpectedly apt and perfect gestalt cannot be overstated. These types of things have not changed about theme park design! Art shifts and progresses and moves and provokes, yes, but It cannot and never will be derived from the lazy visions of uninspired money men. You all know this is a bad idea because it betrays the understanding of genuine good design that has accumulated within your subconscious over time. It's the difference you feel walking into a house by Frank Lloyd Wright and a single story bungalow. Disney is effectively deciding to shrug their shoulders and build bungalows when they used to build Taliesins.

Animaniac93-98

"Someone challenges my opinion, they must be some kid who just got out of school!"

I dont think you're a school kid, or a troll, or a paid Disney blogger.

I just think you're opinions on this subject are worthless and should be ignored completely.

Stating the obvious (Disney is a business) and admitting to having not seen the movie on which this concept is based doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom