Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

This is going to end up like Frozen Ever After, people thought it was going to be terrible. Then they blew us away with a highly advanced and themed ride.

I thought the location and capacity would be terrible. It ranges from 900-1000/hr, so you're looking in the range of 12,000 guests/day or so.

Thats less than 1/3rd of Epcot's average daily attendance from last year.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
So, Guardians of the Galaxy is present day. Much of the rest of Future World has nothing to do with our future....Sometimes pavilions aren't even coherent. Maybe it should be re-organized into smaller sub-sections? I've just finished mourning the EPCOT of my youth and have now moved onto trying to think of a way these things could be made thematically tenable. Never mind. If they don't give a , I don't either. This is great!

A really cool update to the energy pavilion wouldn't be that hard. I think they know that. I suppose the concern is that the consumer would only come check it out if it was tied into something popular, something of the moment. *sigh* I'm with @sshindel - done thinking about this place. Y'all can have the thread.

WDW862

I thought the location and capacity would be terrible. It ranges from 900-1000/hr, so you're looking in the range of 12,000 guests/day or so.

Thats less than 1/3rd of Epcot's average daily attendance from last year.

There's no denying that it has some huge capacity issues.

If they do Gotg right, it will fit the theme of Epcot.

The Universe of Energy building is big enough to have a decent capacity.After what just happened with Frozen, I'm going to trust Disney on this one.

FigmentForver96

I could be wrong but I don't forsee Future World being the focus of the park if some of these changes taking place. It almost seems they are going for "wonder" and "discovery" to describe a new Epcot rather then "advancement" and "creativity". I doubt their plans is to just drop a few news thing into the park and call it quits. This could be the start of a new direction for the park and just changing things overall.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Frozen was done pretty well for the area it was in. I think its a good fit, where else would they put it? Fantasy land just had a huge expansion. Maelstrom was awesome, and ill miss it, but it was really outdated and needed a replacement.

It's a fictional story, that takes place in an imaginary land, made up by an American company shoehorned into a pavilion about a real country. For me that sets a sad precedence for what will happen to World Showcase, but there have already been 100's of pages of discussion on this point so I don't wish to belabor it.

WDW1974

Epcot is doomed. World Showcase will be tooned and now future world will be reduced to IP land. Very sad. If only youngins could go back and feel the genuine wonder and sense of inspiration Epcot once gave us.

They wouldn't appreciate it. If it doesn't have a kewl movie tie-in, then they don't care.

Walt's park is being partially destroyed to shove Star Wars into it. It doesn't get any worse than that.

WDW1974

This is going to end up like Frozen Ever After, people thought it was going to be terrible. Then they blew us away with a highly advanced and themed ride.

That belongs in the MK in a massive show building and with twice the capacity. In other words, not the half-arsed shove it in (no fanboi-Imagineer jokes please) anywhere, anyway deal that has it in EPCOT.

WDW862

You guys also have to realize that what people find entertaining has changed. Disney has to adapt or die. Gotg will bring in more money than Universe of Energy, An updated, modern Misson Space could bring more money than Horizons did.

Disney is a publicly traded company and their 1# goal is about making money.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
You guys also have to realize that what people find entertaining has changed. Disney has to adapt or die. Gotg will bring in more money than Universe of Energy, An updated, modern Misson Space could bring more money than Horizons did.

Wait. Did you guys realize Disney is a business? I had never thought of it like that!!!

WDW1974

There's no denying that it has some huge capacity issues.

If they do Gotg right, it will fit the theme of Epcot.

The Universe of Energy building is big enough to have a decent capacity.After what just happened with Frozen, I'm going to trust Disney on this one.

No, by its very nature that is impossible. But thanks for playing "I don't know theme park design, sense of place and basic theming." You get a year's supply of dishwashing detergent.

davis_unoxx

Original Poster
How big is the Energy Pavilion show building compared to other rides? Like Pirates or Haunted Mansion?

WDW862

Wait. Did you guys realize Disney is a business? I had never thought of it like that!!!
You guys are acting like Disney owes you something. The only group of people they do owe are the shareholders.

Last edited:

Clamman73

So, Guardians of the Galaxy is present day. Much of the rest of Future World has nothing to do with our future....Sometimes pavilions aren't even coherent. Maybe it should be re-organized into smaller sub-sections? I've just finished mourning the EPCOT of my youth and have now moved onto trying to think of a way these things could be made thematically tenable. Never mind. If they don't give a ****, I don't either. This is great!

A really cool update to the energy pavilion wouldn't be that hard. I think they know that. I suppose the concern is that the consumer would only come check it out if it was tied into something popular, something of the moment. *sigh* I'm with @sshindel - done thinking about this place. Y'all can have the thread.
I think today I've finally hit stage five of EPCOT Center grief...
image.jpeg

orky8

It was publicly traded under Walt. It was publicly traded under Walker. It was publicly traded under Eisner. And yet during that time it established the theme park experience and set the bar for quality and affordability that was unmatched.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Making money, and provide a high quality, well though out, and cohesively themed environment are not mutually exclusive. Disney didn't get where they are today by catering to every whim of the public, the did it by providing experiences that went beyong what the public ever imagined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom