Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeriofTerror

No, this forum only supports negativity.
"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up."
If we are going to generalize about the opinions on this forum, I think I can do a far better job. I think many will agree with the statements below:
1. DHS would be a much better location for Guardians than Epcot.
2. We would much rather see a redo of the Energy pavilion than ToT.
3. Is #2 enough to outweigh #1? That's where you're doing to see some dissenting opinions. Future World really needs some love and attention. Most of us would prefer that would come without IPs attached (no matter how fond we are of those particular IPs) and that it would stay true to Epcot's intended vision, but we also realize that we are a small (although extremely vocal) minority.
Do y'all think this is a fair summation?

Donaldfan1934

Getting very tired of people desperate for a new ride will take anything anywhere. The theming of lands, feeling like you were absorbed in the experience of the new attraction, where it belonged is what I miss most. I give up. Put anything anywhere. The people will love it.
Amen. While there were always oddball placements (Tomorrowland attractions like Submarine Voayage, Autopia/Speedway, and America Sings spring to mind), they were few and far between since placement was something previous corporate administrations had at least an inkling of respect for, even in the latter half of Eisner's tenure. If you look at the plans for what is being built or rumored to be built under the Iger administration, at least half of them have no place going into where they are. Its clear that they have zero concern for the THEME part of theme parks and will put an attraction anywhere as long as there's a dime to be made off of an IP. Even if better management comes in in two years and turns the ship around, they'll never be able to undo the damage SWL will do to DL. That decision alone is enough for me to never forgive Iger.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

If we are going to generalize about the opinions on this forum, I think I can do a far better job. I think many will agree with the statements below:
3. Is #2 enough to outweigh #1? That's where you're doing to see some dissenting opinions. Future World really needs some love and attention. Most of us would prefer that would come without IPs attached (no matter how fond we are of those particular IPs) and that it would stay true to Epcot's intended vision, but we also realize that we are a small (although extremely vocal) minority.

Sounds fair to me!

Rodan75

I'm always fascinated by how much passion there is for the original EPCOT Center. FW needs an update and if that means changing the Theme, I'm good with that. What I'm not okay with is a mishmash of lost -lands.

The only reason I am optimistic about this, is that they seemed to do a good job merging the IP of Frozen into Norway. Disney has always been persistent that their inspiration for Frozen has always been Norway (even if that was only a publicity angle to generate ABD & Disney Cruises to Norway). But my point is they said something, they held to it, and they integrated the Frozen IP into the Norway Pavilion without making it Arendelle. (Objections to the ride and capacity are fair game)

So I have at least some hope that they will either integrate this GoTG mini-land into the Future World theme or they will update the 'story' and Theme of FW to accommodate adding GoTG.

Now everyone has their right to gnash their teeth at any changes to the FW theme... but I'm going to remain hopeful.

doctornick

The one thing needs to be considered is that GotG in EPCOT Center makes no sense, but by 2020 or whenever when the new pavilion opens, who knows what the actual "theme" (or name) of Future World will be. Though I'm skeptical, I'd like to think that WDI is working to come up with an all encompassing concept to tie in the disparate attractions in that half of the park.

I greatly loved (well, most of) EPCOT Center myself. It probably is what made my dad a hardcore Disney Parks fan. I'd love to have seen a return to those ideals, but recognize it isn't going to happen. That doesn't mean that Epcot of today has to be judged only on the rigors of what would fit into EPCOT 1982 -- it's allowed to evolve and change and hopefully what the do end up with is an improvement over the last 10-15 years.

Donaldfan1934

You summed this thread up perfectly. Although, I do want to elaborate on why we as fans should be listened to despite being a minority. No matter what fandom you are a part of, the general public, or filthy casuals as fans like to call them, will almost always outnumber the true hardcore fans unless said fandom is more of a cult following. However, its been shown in the past that when you alienate your core fanbase, it becomes increasingly evident that you can't rely on the casuals alone. Relating things to Disney specifically, many here have said that while the one and dones are a big part of Disney's revenue, there isn't an endless supply of them that can be relied on forever. Basically what I'm saying is the more devoted fans Disney alienates, the less devoted fans there will be to be gained in the future. If Disney continues with these consistently controversial decisions beyond Iger's tenure, it may not be a matter of if something will give, but when.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
While I realize Epcot isn't going back to what it was in 1990 or so, I'm disturbed at the loss of coherence. Even the character invasion doesn't have to lose the coherence of theme. Characters in World Showcase, used correctly, enhance the understand of the nations depicted by reminding us of the stories that come from those countries. Disney, of course, hasn't always used characters correctly to that end (Morocco is not in Arabia, so is Aladdin doing there, for example), but it can be done. Even adding Nemo to Seas, IMHO, worked fine. Finding Nemo was set in the real world, and the characters provide a nice way of bringing kids into the pavilion.

Frozen in Norway, of course, stretched the limits of any coherent theme. But GotG in Epcot seems to break not just the theme of Future World (which I always thought of showing how learning about our world and our past leads us into the future), but the entire theme of Epcot as a park grounded in the real world.

MK is the world of Fantasy and Adventure (Hall of President's doesn't belong, but I digress); DHS is the world of entertainment; Animal Kingdom is the world of animals and nature; and Epcot is our world -- the world of people.

Ok, rant over.

If the attractions are good, I'll go on them repeatedly and enjoy them, as I suspect I will with FEA. But I think it's highly unlikely that I'll ever be content or satisfied with their placement in Future World. Perhaps Disney will find a way to integrate them that I like. But I doubt it.

clemmo

The one thing needs to be considered is that GotG in EPCOT Center makes no sense, but by 2020 or whenever when the new pavilion opens, who knows what the actual "theme" (or name) of Future World will be. Though I'm skeptical, I'd like to think that WDI is working to come up with an all encompassing concept to tie in the disparate attractions in that half of the park.

I greatly loved (well, most of) EPCOT Center myself. It probably is what made my dad a hardcore Disney Parks fan. I'd love to have seen a return to those ideals, but recognize it isn't going to happen. That doesn't mean that Epcot of today has to be judged only on the rigors of what would fit into EPCOT 1982 -- it's allowed to evolve and change and hopefully what the do end up with is an improvement over the last 10-15 years.
Do you think there are plans currently in the works for new FW attractions not relating to the GOTG ip? It really seems as if that whole side will now just be space theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom