Great Movie Ride Effects Watch

Slipknot

I'm ashamed to say that I close my eyes through the Alien section because when I was little, it gave me nightmares, and I still haven't quite gotten over it...so I have no clue what the alien even looks like.

The opposite happened for me. I was 8 and wanted to see the movie so bad. Ironically, when I got home after the trip, Aliens was on tv.

Magenta Panther

The Great Movie Ride deserves a refurb for sure. And wouldn't it be great if the originally-planned tornado scene was someday actually installed? The Fantasia scene is pretty damn weak anyway. A well-done tornado scene would add a bit of thrill that the ride needs. And IMO, the Alien scene needs to be replaced. It has never seemed scary to me. Just lame. I'd put a Star Wars scene in there instead.

Anyway, it's terrific that the GMR is getting a face-lift. It's way overdue.

BryceM

I'm ashamed to say that I close my eyes through the Alien section because when I was little, it gave me nightmares, and I still haven't quite gotten over it...so I have no clue what the alien even looks like.
I am RIGHT there with you. I have a horrible fear of aliens, and the portion of the ride traumatized me as a child, as well as the old Alien Encounter. The movie Signs also really messed me up. But yeah, I have vivid memories from when I was like 5 of riding The Great Movie Ride and seeing that thing come down from the ceiling and from the side. I also have a faint memory of it once spitting, but the past 6 or so times I've ridden it i haven't seen one of the aliens spit.

Bairstow

I also have a faint memory of it once spitting, but the past 6 or so times I've ridden it i haven't seen one of the aliens spit.

Neither of the aliens have ever spit, though imagineers have spit and acid on your mind through the combination of the "dripping" chains in the entrance and the dripping effect where you can see the spot where the facehugger's blood melted through the bulkhead.
The lunging aliens both make "spitting" sound effects which also adds to the experience.

I was also totally freaked out by the alien sequence as a young kid, though I was also totally interested in the alien creature as a result. My dad bought me an expensive "Giger's Alien" artbook in the giftshop, though I wouldn't actually see Alien itself until many years later.

If they ever did remove the Alien sequence from the Great Movie Ride, I would be heartbroken, but on the bright side an Alien-themed darkride would be such an awesome addition to the Studios if they still retained the license... just so long as they don't include anything from that hackjob Prometheus.

StarWarsGirl

The opposite happened for me. I was 8 and wanted to see the movie so bad. Ironically, when I got home after the trip, Aliens was on tv.
I did that with Singing in the Rain, Footlight Parade, Casablanca, Fantasia, and the Searchers. However, I refuse to see Alien. The nightmares I had when I was four...won't allow me to do so.

Bairstow

I did that with Singing in the Rain, Footlight Parade, Casablanca, Fantasia, and the Searchers. However, I refuse to see Alien. The nightmares I had when I was four...won't allow me to do so.

I don't want to encourage you to traumatize yourself or anything but it's a really good movie, though every bit as scary as you think.

StarWarsGirl

I don't want to encourage you to traumatize yourself or anything but it's a really good movie, though every bit as scary as you think.
I don't like horror movies. I thought Darth Vader was scary when I was little (and that one time when I was eating breakfast in Disneyland and turned around and Darth Vader was over on the stage for the show). And there are certain episodes of Star Trek that I refuse to watch before going to bed. Namely any involving the Borg. I like Captain EO, but that's about as scary as I go...I never rode Alien Encounter when it was open either. I even refuse to watch Jaws even though my screenwriting teacher kept insisting that it was a classic. I still need to watch the Tarzan movies and the Public Enemy. If I knew Alien ended well, maybe I would watch it, but the woman gets bitten by the alien and becomes half alien...no thanks.

To me, if they're going to get rid of a scene (not saying they should) it should be the Tarzan one. I find that whole scene highly obnoxious, probably mainly because my ride vehicle got stuck in there for a while one time, and I kept hearing Jane's annoying voice go "Ungala Tarzan!!!" for a good 5 minutes. I think they could replace it with a movie that's more current, since the ride's most current movie is Indiana Jones, which came out in the '80s. Just a thought.

MarkTwain

The Great Movie Ride deserves a refurb for sure. And wouldn't it be great if the originally-planned tornado scene was someday actually installed? The Fantasia scene is pretty damn weak anyway. A well-done tornado scene would add a bit of thrill that the ride needs. And IMO, the Alien scene needs to be replaced. It has never seemed scary to me. Just lame. I'd put a Star Wars scene in there instead.

Anyway, it's terrific that the GMR is getting a face-lift. It's way overdue.

It needs a flying cow.

MarkTwain

Same here. The Great Movie Ride directly inspired me to watch the Searchers, Casablanca, and Singin' in the Rain. (I'd already seen Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz, and Raiders). Disney edutainment at its finest.

Slipknot

Same here. The Great Movie Ride directly inspired me to watch the Searchers, Casablanca, and Singin' in the Rain. (I'd already seen Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz, and Raiders). Disney edutainment at its finest.

As of a few years ago, the only movie I have yet to see that is in The Great Movie Ride as a show scene is Footlight Parade. Just to be sure, I've seen almost every live Tarzan movie made, seeing as how the Disney version was around 10 years after GMR opened.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Besides the ending scene is there any additional space for future additions? I doubt it but perhaps someone may know?

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
They'd have to remove stuff to add more.

Figured as much... Wasn't sure if they had a little extra space. At least enough that if some things were slightly repositioned they can get another scene in without removing scenes.

How about we debate which scenes we wouldn't mind seeing replaced? It could be good discussion.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Figured as much... Wasn't sure if they had a little extra space. At least enough that if some things were slightly repositioned they can get another scene in without removing scenes.

How about we debate which scenes we wouldn't mind seeing replaced? It could be good discussion.

It's a popular topic, but I'd prefer discussion be kept to effects and updates about effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom