Grand Avenue and Baseline Tap House

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are people actually saying that they shouldn't have a bar in DHS?

No.

Just that it should be more clearly labeled as a bar since that's basically all it is. The festival booths at Epcot or the restaurants that serve alcohol don't have the 'bar vibe.' The lounges attached to restaurants, which are, in effect, bars, pretty much look like bars and are either far enough off the beaten path or are open enough to their respective restaurants that families aren't generally hanging out in a bar.

But Baseline is a pure standalone bar with an inviting frontage to a well-traveled path surrounded by family-friendly venues. It's going to wind up drawing in families with children and then you're getting children hanging out and running around a bar. If it more clearly labeled itself as a 'bar', then families can make the best decisions for themselves whether to saunter in.

I can guarantee that if you sit in there, you'll see large families pile in. Stare at the menu in disbelief that this isn't a QS but just a bar and then pile on out of there, "C'mon kids, we'll find someplace else to get something to drink."

It's not a huge deal. Just something that should be tweaked.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
No.

Just that it should be more clearly labeled as a bar since that's basically all it is. The festival booths at Epcot or the restaurants that serve alcohol don't have the 'bar vibe.' The lounges attached to restaurants, which are, in effect, bars, pretty much look like bars and are either far enough off the beaten path or are open enough to their respective restaurants that families aren't generally hanging out in a bar.

But Baseline is a pure standalone bar with an inviting frontage to a well-traveled path surrounded by family-friendly venues. It's going to wind up drawing in families with children and then you're getting children hanging out and running around a bar. If it more clearly labeled itself as a 'bar', then families can make the best decisions for themselves whether to saunter in.

I can guarantee that if you sit in there, you'll see large families pile in. Stare at the menu in disbelief that this isn't a QS but just a bar and then pile on out of there, "C'mon kids, we'll find someplace else to get something to drink."

It's not a huge deal. Just something that should be tweaked.
It is family friendly though, no problem sitting with kids on the patio. Doubt they will be inside, because seating is so limited.

There are small plate and non-aclohlic speciality drinks.

I don't see an issue.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It is family friendly though, no problem sitting with kids on the patio. Doubt they will be inside, because seating is so limited.

There are small plate and non-aclohlic speciality drinks.

I don't see an issue.

I wouldn't call their three snacks 'small plates' nor kid-friendly: hot spiced nuts; specialty cheeses; beer infused pretzel dip. :)

Like I said, not a big deal. Any bar would have soft drinks and snacks. Doesn't make a bar kid-friendly. It's just kinda odd for such a standalone bar 'bar' to be in the park without it being more actually family friendly or the bar-aspect being downplayed.

wannabeBelle

A lot of people complaining here should never take their kids to europe....i hear over there parents when let their kids under 21 have a drink!
I don't think that is the issue here, at least not for me. I don't have a problem with kids in the area, or even inside the fenced off area for this bar. The problem I would have is if the kids are being disruptive. If the kids are OK with just sitting down for a bit and relaxing while Mom and Dad have a drink, that is fine by me. Also if Mom and Dad don't want their kids exposed to people who are having alcohol, this is not the location for them. I do think this is a nice addition to the park, but it just may not be for every guest, and that is OK too. Marie

Pleakley

Kinda disappointed there aren't more food options, that would be the difference in making it more of a "destination" for me. It's similar to Abracadabar in that respect. I know it makes it cheaper to operate and better curates the crowd, but still. Maybe if the drink menu was bigger it would compute better for me.

As for kids in bars, I practically grew up in the Disney bars and lounges. Now I don't drink at all except for very occasionally, like I'll get a grapefruit beer in Epcot. It just made alcohol not a big deal and not that interesting. Supervised exposure made me informed, if anything. I agree with the problem being obnoxious adults and/or their bratty, unwatched children. But I always go back to the idea that Disney wouldn't have to ban kids in bars if they kept them opem later, at least at the resorts. The Boardwalk becomes a ghost town by 11, meanwhile the Swan is still hopping, and a good 90% of little kids are in bed.

Goofyernmost

how come we don't just stop children at the international gateway than? is it not a giant outdoor bar?
What are you talking about? I'm talking to the people that don't want kids in those kinda, sorta bars. If you don't want them there don't bring them, I'm not talking about stopping children from going anyplace. That is a parents job, not anyone elses.

matt9112

What are you talking about? I'm talking to the people that don't want kids in those kinda, sorta bars. If you don't want them there don't bring them, I'm not talking about stopping children from going anyplace. That is a parents job, not anyone elses.

was referring to penguin.....

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20171008_185331.jpg
20171008_184706.jpg
20171008_184700.jpg
20171008_183929.jpg
20171008_183443.jpg
20171008_183413.jpg
Took a trip over here tonight. I like this place. Good music. Great beer selection.

Last edited:

Prototype82

I love all the little classic shop windows: Apparel, deli, flowershop, but I would love to see one extra detail to make it seem like modern California; A skate shop window contrasting with the clothier would be amazing and would romanticize the west coast thing perfectly...but I love it. I love the printing process on the Fantasyland prints in the bar too.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Can you tell me what kind of music they are playing now?? Hopefully they got rid of what was on when I was there, Marie
It's just both Guardians of the Galaxy soundtracks on an endless loop.

Imagine that? Ok enough bad jokes. It was just lounge type music covers sung by a female vocalist. A lot of "hey I know that song" songs being played but quite couldn't put my finger on the songs. It fit the atmosphere imo and set a nice relaxing mood. Then again, it was also 7:30 on a rainy Sunday night at DHS.

wannabeBelle

I think I would have preferred the GOTG soundtracks honestly. I found the music pretty awful as I didnt care for the elevator type renditions. I would have liked something a little more lively, I think. Thanks for the feedback!! Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom