Gran Fiesta debacle...

jakeman

I'm going to have to side with merf on this one. Not really on instensity but on principal.

If an attraction had been publically announced that it would open on a certain day then any delays in that deadline should be announced at a minimum through the same medium.

This isn't about armchair park management. This is a simple case of a failure to take the appropriate action.

If I tell my boss a report will be in on a certain day, I would be repremained for not only not delivering the report, but moreso for not showing up at all for work that day. That seems to parallel the situation here.

Is this a huge deal? No. Is it a failure of the Disney company to appropriately dissiminate information regarding the lack of a product on the day it was promised to be delivered? Yes.

Magicot

I talked to Epcot Guest Relations yesterday, April 2nd, and they expect Gran Fiesta to open this Easter Sunday or possibly Monday. If you go to the entrance of the ride and look close enough, you can actually make out the new 'Gran Fiesta' entrance marquee covered up in some type of burlap material.

WDWFREAK53

I'm going to have to side with merf on this one. Not really on instensity but on principal.

If an attraction had been publically announced that it would open on a certain day then any delays in that deadline should be announced at a minimum through the same medium.

This isn't about armchair park management. This is a simple case of a failure to take the appropriate action.

If I tell my boss a report will be in on a certain day, I would be repremained for not only not delivering the report, but moreso for not showing up at all for work that day. That seems to parallel the situation here.

Is this a huge deal? No. Is it a failure of the Disney company to appropriately dissiminate information regarding the lack of a product on the day it was promised to be delivered? Yes.

No...it's not like that.

It's like this.

If your boss comes to you and tells you he's going to come in for a meeting at 8AM and misses it without a call. What can you do about it? Nothing...he had a reason and he doesn't have to answer to you about it. Granted, he could apologize for missing it...but he doesn't necessarily HAVE to.

jakeman

No...it's not like that.

It's like this.

If your boss comes to you and tells you he's going to come in for a meeting at 8AM and misses it without a call. What can you do about it? Nothing...he had a reason and he doesn't have to answer to you about it. Granted, he could apologize for missing it...but he doesn't necessarily HAVE to.
I understand your point. However, if my boss missed a meeting that he said he would be there for and didn't show, therefore decreasing my productivity, then that is poor management. If the action was repeated, he would eventually be held accountable to his superior.

I fully agree with other posters that Disney is well within their right to conduct business as they see fit. However, in my opinion this was a poor business decision not to communicate with the consumer why a portion of their promised product was not delivered on the date that had been previously specified.

WDWFREAK53

I understand your point. However, if my boss missed a meeting that he said he would be there for and didn't show, therefore decreasing my productivity, then that is poor management. If the action was repeated, he would eventually be held accountable to his superior.

Who is the superior in this case? Pretty much...if you don't like the way it's run...don't work here. If you don't like the way Disney management handles things...don't go. :lol:

How is it decreasing productivity in this case? Ok, so people trek across to Epcot (cha-ching) and then go into the Mexico Pavilion...Oh...the ride's not open. Wow, look at this sombrero! (cha-ching).

More time not on rides = more time to spend money in the giftshop :lol:

k.hunter30

Agreed. Also keep in mind that updating the website is not a simple task. If it is anything like other major companies, it has to pass through several departments before it can be changed/corrected.
It doesn't take long to update a Web site at all - as long as it's just updating copy. Once information is released (meaning it has already been approved) it should be easy to update specific information. Even adding new links wouldn't take that long. I do it all the time for the major hospital I work for...:shrug:

jakeman

Who is the superior in this case? Pretty much...if you don't like the way it's run...don't work here. If you don't like the way Disney management handles things...don't go. :lol:

How is it decreasing productivity in this case? Ok, so people trek across to Epcot (cha-ching) and then go into the Mexico Pavilion...Oh...the ride's not open. Wow, look at this sombrero! (cha-ching).

More time not on rides = more time to spend money in the giftshop :lol:
:lol: I believe we are getting bogged down in the analogy and side stepping the point which to me is:

...a portion of their promised product was not delivered on the date that had been previously specified.

Also like I said previously:

It was a poor decision not to have information available regarding the delay opening. That's all in my opinion. Am I going to cry in the bathtub while I gnaw the ear off my Pal Mickey? Probably not. Will it stop me from going to Disney? Nope.

However, this is a Disney message board where the details of the company are gone over with a fine-tooth comb and non-issues such as this one spells doom for the parks and the company.

WDWFREAK53

:lol: I believe we are getting bogged down in the analogy and side stepping the point which to me is:

However, this is a Disney message board where the details of the company are gone over with a fine-tooth comb and non-issues such as this one spells doom for the parks and the company.

Yes, I believe we were! Umm...is this thread about the monorail expansion? :lookaroun *ducks*

Ok, so the website wasn't updated...how many people, prior to going to Epcot yesterday...went online to see if the ride was open? Not many...I'm sure. So, even if they had updated it that morning prior to the park opening, not many people would've been informed. I'm sure the time board said, "El Rio De Tiempo CLOSED." If that Time board said, "NOW OPEN!" and it wasn't...I could see the problem.

We are REALLY digging deep to find things to nitpick about.

Glasgow

Also like I said previously:

It was a poor decision not to have information available regarding the delay opening. That's all in my opinion. Am I going to cry in the bathtub while I gnaw the ear off my Pal Mickey? Probably not. Will it stop me from going to Disney? Nope.

Jake - I agree 100% with your opinion. No one here is saying that Disney isn't within their rights to not update an attraction opening date (or making any informational updates, for that matter). It just would have been nice to see a pro-active update, that's all. It may be nit-picking but I think we all want Disney to perform at it's best as often as possible.

DigitalDisney

No...it's not like that.

It's like this.

Except you're not paying your boss to work for you

With this move, Disney is basically ignoring its most loyal of fans. El Rio was a cult classic due to its cheesiness and its virtually unchanged state. For many of us, it was a reminder of what Epcot used to be.

While the reason for the delayed opening is probably beyond their control, to not have a greeter standing outside is downright rude, and a poor gesture to the most loyal of customers.

That is all.

On a side note, I thought someone mentioned that the walls by the restaurant were down. Are there any pictures of this? Are there any pictures of the covered up signage?

PKD

It doesn't take long to update a Web site at all - as long as it's just updating copy. Once information is released (meaning it has already been approved) it should be easy to update specific information. Even adding new links wouldn't take that long. I do it all the time for the major hospital I work for...:shrug:

You are correct, the act of updating the site/links doesn't take long at all. I was speaking more about the "signing off on" the updates or having the left hand tell the right hand that said change needs to take place. I'm willing to bet that the IT department that handles that area of the site doesn't always know of a delay or schedule change on all projects.

Over all, I don't think it's a huge deal, however Merf did make one good point. If they advertised it to be open on April 2nd and it wasn't, then a sign at the VERY least should have been posted. Again, all entertainment is subject to change and we all know that tech issues or more can cause the delay.

pheneix

The refurb calendar that is posted for cast members stated that it would be open on the 2nd. Are you trying to say that they did not even have cast members scheduled there until the 7th?

kennygman

Perhaps it was all just one huge April fools joke and they are really installing a new Taco Bell? LOL.

I'm sure they ran into some problems and will have it up and running soon. Monster's Inc delayed opening too.

GymLeaderPhil

The boss analogy is flawed. We are consumers, Disney is not the superior in this situation. We have a right as consumers to question why they did not properly announce the opening date for the attraction or provide a greeter at the closed attraction as a result of such misinformation.

While Disney reserves the right to change the opening date without notice or liability, they are comitting an act of disservice to their consumers in the process. Instead of stepping on their guests toes they could have prevented this from occuring by

1) Not posting the opening date publically. How many times has this been a problem for this company?

2) Releasing a press release explaining the delayed opening.

3) At the very least throw a greeter at the attraction to explain the delayed opening.

I would be quite mad if I decided to make the hour drive down to see the attraction that day.

Wilt Dasney

1) Not posting the opening date publically.

I would be quite mad if I decided to make the hour drive down to see the attraction that day.

Doesn't the first thing indicate that the second would have been your problem, not Disney's? If they never announced an official opening date to begin with, then what do they owe people who showed up expecting it to be open? Not much, in my opinion. :shrug:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think there are more important things to worry about like why Disney is not offering Cherry Coke Zero in its refreshment carts....thats the real travisty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom