Got Your Insider Updates Right Here

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Yes, the wand is coming down and now its public. However, I told it to you several weeks prior to it becoming common knowledge. As I said before, you will know whether I am legit or not by the accuracy of my statements.

Now... on to our next update:

- Star Tours refurbishment technical info:
** Each simulator equipped with 5 rear-projected Disney Digital 3-D screens with one screen in the front and two smaller screens on both the left and right sides of the simulator.
** Simulators feature a hydraulic lift at the center-rear area of the simulator, which allow much of the upper portion of the simulator to be swung upwards for specific ride events.
** Polarized glasses (3-D glasses) will be themed and necessary for proper viewing of the ride.
** Front-projected modified (for polarization) IMAX HD DOME projectors facing upwards will be used during the ride and will be totally external of the simulators.
** DTS-HD Master Audio system is featured in every simulator, along with a DTS-HD Master Audio external system which is used when simulator hatches are in the open position, are opening, or are closing.
** Three remote controlled AAs are used in the ride, with two of the same type simulating walking, but only featuring upper torsos and a third which does not move from its permanent location, but can be "puppeted" both in motions and statements, or can run in a generic mode.

- The Typhoon Lagoon expansion will also be featuring two volleball courts, additional seating, a shaved ice restaurant, and of course, more tropical plants.

- The ride vehicles for Spaceship Earth are being totally removed during the refurbishment. The new vehicles will feature a much smoother experience, and will be outfitted with 16:9 ratio LCD touch screens.

Enjoy the updates and don't forget the sodium.

ddank

with what Disney and Lucas are both trying to accomplish with digital 3-D projection this makes ALOT of sense. Think im a believer in this guy now. Question does this mean the actual track will be replaced on SE? Is the track to blame for the bumpy ride or is it the way the vehicles are attached to the track that is the cause? Thanks! Love having you here. Also LOVE that Disney is embracing the DTS HD codec.

WDWFREAK53

Not at this time.

Ok, thanks anyways. Keep the updates coming...I really enjoy reading them :D

(Hehe, I don't care if you're legit or giving us a boatload of crap...I just really like reading what you have to say...but I think you're the real deal...so...if you're not...You duped me :) )

miles1

This sounds like it will turn Star Tours into a major E-Ticket experience. I just hope that those of us with weaker stomachs will still be able to ride.

KevinPage

- Star Tours refurbishment technical info:
** Each simulator equipped with 5 rear-projected Disney Digital 3-D screens with one screen in the front and two smaller screens on both the left and right sides of the simulator.
** Simulators feature a hydraulic lift at the center-rear area of the simulator, which allow much of the upper portion of the simulator to be swung upwards for specific ride events.
** Polarized glasses (3-D glasses) will be themed and necessary for proper viewing of the ride.
** Front-projected modified (for polarization) IMAX HD DOME projectors facing upwards will be used during the ride and will be totally external of the simulators.
** DTS-HD Master Audio system is featured in every simulator, along with a DTS-HD Master Audio external system which is used when simulator hatches are in the open position, are opening, or are closing.
** Three remote controlled AAs are used in the ride, with two of the same type simulating walking, but only featuring upper torsos and a third which does not move from its permanent location, but can be "puppeted" both in motions and statements, or can run in a generic mode.

That's all well and good, but it's still a stinkin' simulator when you get right down to it. Give me a moving ride vehicle through set pieces anyday over something that just sits there and moves back & forth. But it's hard to complain if it turns out to be good. No idea how these AA's will work or be implemented, I just can't get my mind wrapped around it.

When the heck are they just going to do a whole Star Wars section of the park? It's long overdo. And that's coming from someone who's burnt out on the whole SW thing after the last 3 movies and could care less about SW weekends or collecting any of the toys anymore.

MGM needs a Pixar area, Star Wars to make it worth housing ToT & RnRC. Too much stuff that is not repeatable: B&B stage show, Stunt Show (both) & Fantasmic (due to queuing up so far ahead). Now that I mention it, I still haven't seen that Motors Stunt Show and probably never will. Such a shame that this area of the park will be wasted with that thing for the next many years as I can't see them getting rid of something they just built.

dave2822

The day that the morning rope is dropped at MGM and everyone isn't running in the same direction will be the day that the park is more than just a half-day park for me (besides for coming back to catch Fantasmic of course)

PigletIsMyCat

That's all well and good, but it's still a stinkin' simulator when you get right down to it. Give me a moving ride vehicle through set pieces anyday over something that just sits there and moves back & forth. But it's hard to complain if it turns out to be good. No idea how these AA's will work or be implemented, I just can't get my mind wrapped around it.

When the heck are they just going to do a whole Star Wars section of the park? It's long overdo. And that's coming from someone who's burnt out on the whole SW thing after the last 3 movies and could care less about SW weekends or collecting any of the toys anymore.

MGM needs a Pixar area, Star Wars to make it worth housing ToT & RnRC. Too much stuff that is not repeatable: B&B stage show, Stunt Show (both) & Fantasmic (due to queuing up so far ahead). Now that I mention it, I still haven't seen that Motors Stunt Show and probably never will. Such a shame that this area of the park will be wasted with that thing for the next many years as I can't see them getting rid of something they just built.

Totally agreed. I really am no fan of Star Wars (I like the first one, which I guess is now Episode 4, and have never seen the three newest ones) but it would make perfect sense to have more distinct 'lands' in MGM. Making a Star Wars section and a Pixar section would be a nod in the right direction. But, of course, what 'section' would ToT and RnRC fit into? A general Music and Movies section? It's a very interesting idea...

EdandAmy

One question though, why DTS instead of the Lucas ran THX ?? I can't see George pushing or not having a say in avoiding the support of Dolby over THX. Or am I just crazy here??

KevinPage

Totally agreed. I really am no fan of Star Wars (I like the first one, which I guess is now Episode 4, and have never seen the three newest ones) but it would make perfect sense to have more distinct 'lands' in MGM. Making a Star Wars section and a Pixar section would be a nod in the right direction. But, of course, what 'section' would ToT and RnRC fit into? A general Music and Movies section? It's a very interesting idea...

Pixar area is suppoedly already taking over the whole section of Mickey Ave, past VOTLM all the way through the Bakclot Tour & maybe even the HISTA playground.

Give Star Wars the whole general area around it, including food venues (but keep Sci Fi in place). Keep the Muppers and give that a mini land/area. Heck even if you don't get a new Muppets attraction. Make more fun stuff in the Mupper area just to walk through or interact with. It doesn't have to be anything nearly as grand as SW or Pixar lands, but it would still be nice.

Let the rest of the park deal with the whole music/movie angle.

Epcot82Guy

I guess this goes back to the Pirateland thing. Why do we need/want lands tied to specific franchises. That is HUGELY risky. It puts a lot of stock and takes HUGE $$$ to redo if it dies.

I would sooner see MGM turn into specific "Streets" as the land, each of which has a feeling. We have Animation Court (which Pixar is a natural extension of), City Street, Action Way, Sunset Blvd., Hollywood Blvd., and something around the lake. Under umbrellas like this, you can transition things in and out without having to completely rebrand the land. It's cheaper in the long run and allows for minilands without explicitly stating such (think the Pixar section of Animation Ct. or Star Wars area of Action Way).

Just my $0.02, but Disney is not a merchandising business model. Attractions and experiences are not like toys and clothing that go on unbranded shelves. It needs much greater longevity in the creation process, but it can still serve the same goal.

And, of course, thanks for the info. I am still on my 50-50 with current trends (half seem great, half seem very poorly decided), but I appreciate being able to read this information.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Upward facing IMAX HD? With the cabins having new projectors this would mean either an opening -or lack of- ceiling, just like the new Kennedy Shuttle sim. Or a transparent one....

I can`t figure out DTS over Dolby either; but remember THX is a standard, not a format. In theory it could be applied to DTS as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom