Goodbye Poachers?

jakeman

Well then. A random blog says Disney isn't about stories.

That should do it. Lock this threads up mods!

Because really, a blog that describes Toy Story Mania as...
Toy Story (Midway) Mania! is overwhelming, mean-spirited, thematically undercooked, philosophically offensive, over-produced, Darwinian, and encourages guests to shoot the heroes from Toy Story.

And for the record, the gun is triggered via pull-chord, and firing it requires a distinctly [use your imagination] gesture.
...is grounded squarely in reality.

Like it or not, people associate Disney and Disney park attractions with story telling and a singular post on what on the surface appears to be a typical fanboy blog isn't going to change that.

Spike-in-Berlin

"Think about some of the classic Disneyland attractions--Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn Bobsleds and “it’s a small world.” How would they fare against the story litmus test?"

He really should read Surrels books about PotC and HM because then he wouldn't write such a rubbish. Especially in the HM and PotC EVERYTHING was about story.
Story is the key to imagineering.

SleepingMonk

The original storyline, which i believe was dropped between Cast Member previews and the Grand Opening also included the visible corpse of Big Red.

:lol:

"And here we find the bloated corpse of mother elephant, look closely and you can see the singing maggots and cute blowflies completing the circle of life theme song!"

Mukta

I enjoy the storyline in KS. Disney has a way of incorporating themes into their rides that is truly unique. I feel that the storyline in KS adds to the Disney feeling that I am looking for.
It is true that I don't need a storyline to enjoy the safari. I do feel that the storyline adds to the theme. I'm sure there are safari rides in other amusement parks. I want the Disney version to be better themed, cleaner and more interesting than the other versions.
Poachers are still an issue and raising consciousness on that issue is not a bad thing.

Animaniac93-98

Looking at the OP it says the "poacher" storyline would be removed, not all "storytelling" elements. Drew, do you know what attraction story elements would remain/be added in its place?

I don't mind the Safari having backstory, but the fake poacher drama got old real fast, so I would be glad to see it go.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The only thing wrong with the poacher story was the cost cutting and Disney obsession of lets not upset the kids. Odd given the companies history of dealing with nature.

HMF

"Think about some of the classic Disneyland attractions--Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn Bobsleds and “it’s a small world.” How would they fare against the story litmus test?"

He really should read Surrels books about PotC and HM because then he wouldn't write such a rubbish. Especially in the HM and PotC EVERYTHING was about story.
Story is the key to imagineering.

That is not the case. The POTC book is full of half truths and flat out lies. The best Disney Rides are a series of experiences building to a climax. "Experience" not "Story" The "Story" mantra is revisionist history.

Actual Quotes from Marc Davis

Marc Davis: “Walt agreed and I certainly agreed that this type of show (Pirates of the Caribbean ride attraction) is not a story-telling medium.” (1997 - Scott Wolf: Mouseclubhouse.com)

Marc Davis: “He (Walt Disney) didn’t like the idea of telling stories in this medium (ride attractions). It’s not a story telling medium. But it does give you experiences. You experience the idea of pirates. You don’t see a story that starts at the beginning and then ends up with, ‘by golly, they got the dirty dog.’ It wasn’t that way.” (2005 & 2006 - Pirates of the Caribbean book page 30 - which is taken from - Disney News)

Marc Davis: “...All of these attractions is that they are a series of experiences. You aren’t telling a story in the Haunted Mansion anymore than you are trying to tell a story in the Pirates of the Caribbean. You’re showing some pirates in a lot of interesting situations, but you don’t really have a beginning or an ending. They’re a series of situations, not a story.” (1989: E-Ticket issue 7 - pages 9 - 10 or in archived PDF file it’s on pages 11-12)

Victor Kelly

Good, remove the half hearted non-sense. I dislike being rushed off to see non-existant poachers, I'd rather have more time to just enjoy the animals without distractions.

jakeman

That is not the case. The POTC book is full of half truths and flat out lies. The best Disney Rides are a series of experiences building to a climax. "Experience" not "Story" The "Story" mantra is revisionist history.
Because we all know that stories aren't a series of experiences that build to a climax...

Mimi

I preferred the older version of the ride to the current. I think if you're going to go with a storyline like that you need to really go for it. The live CM's and gunfire made it exciting. Now it just seems like a half-hearted attempt to force a political statement on a captive audience. At least it was entertaining before. Now I bet some people don't even know why the jeep is racing.

Ultimately I would prefer a simple storyline. Let the fact that we're on safari be the story. Catching a glimpse of a lion basking in the morning sun or waiting for giraffes to cross the road before you can pass... I think that's all the drama the ride needs.

Spike-in-Berlin

Actual Quotes from Marc Davis

Marc Davis: “Walt agreed and I certainly agreed that this type of show (Pirates of the Caribbean ride attraction) is not a story-telling medium.” (1997 - Scott Wolf: Mouseclubhouse.com)

Marc Davis: “He (Walt Disney) didn’t like the idea of telling stories in this medium (ride attractions). It’s not a story telling medium. But it does give you experiences. You experience the idea of pirates. You don’t see a story that starts at the beginning and then ends up with, ‘by golly, they got the dirty dog.’ It wasn’t that way.” (2005 & 2006 - Pirates of the Caribbean book page 30 - which is taken from - Disney News)

Marc Davis: “...All of these attractions is that they are a series of experiences. You aren’t telling a story in the Haunted Mansion anymore than you are trying to tell a story in the Pirates of the Caribbean. You’re showing some pirates in a lot of interesting situations, but you don’t really have a beginning or an ending. They’re a series of situations, not a story.” (1989: E-Ticket issue 7 - pages 9 - 10 or in archived PDF file it’s on pages 11-12)

Sorry, I prefer to believe John Hench.

KevinYee

I'm with HMF on this one. Especially at Disneyland, very few of the early rides told a 'story'. They were experiences moving through an environment (usually a simulated environment). POTC is much closer to Rainbow Ridge Mine Trains (no real story) than it is to Mission Space. Everything you see at PoTC that looks like a story came long after Walt was gone.

Post-Walt, the rush for story became central. If I recall correctly, this is one of main things Tony Baxter (who is pro-story) and Marc Davis feuded about. Marc wanted vignettes, not story.

celluloid

I'm with HMF on this one. Especially at Disneyland, very few of the early rides told a 'story'. They were experiences moving through an environment (usually a simulated environment). POTC is much closer to Rainbow Ridge Mine Trains (no real story) than it is to Mission Space. Everything you see at PoTC that looks like a story came long after Walt was gone.

Post-Walt, the rush for story became central. If I recall correctly, this is one of main things Tony Baxter (who is pro-story) and Marc Davis feuded about. Marc wanted vignettes, not story.

Splitting hairs there though.

Sure at a time they COULDN'T tell elaborate emotional stories in the attractions, but the rides near the end of Walt's life in design definitely had an idea or simple story to flow them.

It is funny you bring up Mission Space, that actually has less of a story than Trip to the Moon or Rocket to the Moon...

Disney attractions have always had to have themes either based on a story people knew, retelling iconic moments of those stories or telling completely original story with attractions only found at the parks. Nothing has changed except their ability to do so. Walt would of surely of put more story elements into them when they could because in his life they were plussing them into the attractions they had and building new more elaborate ones.

baymenxpac

Why does it need "saving" from such an attraction, as if that would make it somehow deficient?

no, i just think it gives guests another aspect of the attraction to enjoy. i think it adds an element to it, which makes it much more enjoyable for me. just my humble opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom