Goodbye Poachers?

WDWFanatic

I wont miss the storyline either, but i did like that burst of acceleration in that truck bouncing all over the place when we were going after the poachers. It made us laugh so much as we bounced into eachother.:ROFLOL:

I remember the airplane being sold at mousesurplus some time ago. I only remember seeing the poacher jeep run twice in all the times i went. I hate when effects are not kept up.

RSoxNo1

Take it with a grain of salt-

There are rumors that the entire "poachers" storyline could go away at Kilimanjaro Safaris. As a result the poacher area at the end of the safari would be made into a new animal habitat.

Zebras were mentioned as a possible addition.

Giving them their own enclosure would make sense. Especially since they like to trample other baby animals.

Looking at the maps from a slightly different angle, a small area looks like it could be clear fairly easily north of the geysers fairly easy.

Again though, it would look like a savannah extension rather than a "new" habitat would be more logistically feasible.

I think they could put in a habitat, but I doubt there is any room to build ancillary animal care support structures in that area.

This would make the most sense, however I'm not sure how accessible the area is to the zebra's current backstage area.

So it is a zoo

It's nahtazu!

DAK's biggest change since E:E/Nemo? Bittersweet.

Well many on here have asked for the closure of Primeval Whirl. I'd say it's been closed 20% of the time since EE opened... that's addition by subtraction.

In other news, this park needs 2-3 more rides and it needs them 3-5 years ago.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:Can someone fill me in on this original story line? As another poster said, it seems quite morbid for a non-thrill Disney ride....Anyways, I hope they add another story instead of just dropping the story and turning it into a generic safari ride.

The original story line prior to park opening was that poachers killed the Matriach of the elephant herd (Big Red), but her baby (Little Red) survived.

By opening day, this story line had been modified with both elephants surviving. Slight changes to the ending saw a cast member waving by a plane saying that the elephants were ok, this shifted to Little Red in the back of a jeep and confirmation over the speaker from Warden Wilson Mateau (spelling?) that the elephants were ok.

The Warden and Miss Jobson dialogue was removed a few years ago, but I believe both are still featured in the queue video.

baymenxpac

this kind of bums me out. i thought the storyline saved it from being a "oh, boy! let's go see animals" attraction, even though that's essentially what it is. it just gave a nice little twist to it.

i just hope they don't kill the radio/musical interlude part. that's my favorite :)

jakeman

This would make the most sense, however I'm not sure how accessible the area is to the zebra's current backstage area.
If they make it a direct extension of the savannah they wouldn't be any further off than they are now. It would just be a little extra room for them to wander (and by extension any other animals in that part of the savannah).

If it's a completely new habitat, as I said, there doesn't seem to be much room there for support structures.

RSoxNo1

If they make it a direct extension of the savannah they wouldn't be any further off than they are now. It would just be a little extra room for them to wander (and by extension any other animals in that part of the savannah).

If it's a completely new habitat, as I said, there doesn't seem to be much room there for support structures.

My understanding is that the Zebras get violent with the babies of other species (as was mentioned earlier) so they would probably have to be separate from the other species.

Captain Neo

Strange I thought this already happened a few years ago?

They should probably leave the geysers and waterfalls and just change the look of the area if possible.

Slowjack

Actually, I enjoyed the ORIGINAL storyline, complete with gunfire, a speeding jeep, and a live CM. I only experienced it a couple of times though.

However, regarding the heavily diluted version we have today: I think I would just as well see it go as have it continue in that state. If you're going to do it, do it well, and full out. Don't do it half way. "Try? Try not. Do or do not. There is no try!"
I agree completely. The jeep and live CM were pretty cool, although I enjoyed one trip in which we caught the CM tying his shoe. As it stands, it's sort of like someone telling you something cool is going on behind a curtain but not opening it.

I think the storyline was put in place mainly as a back-up for when there are few animals out, but the thing is, I've ridden when that happens, and it's still dull even with the story.

Master Gracey

The original storyline, which i believe was dropped between Cast Member previews and the Grand Opening also included the visible corpse of Big Red.

In fact, the corpse also included a bird feeder just out of view of the guests so it looked like birds were picking at the corpse. SO MUCH BETTER THAN WHAT WE NOW HAVE!

So it is a zoo

Yes Pumbas Nakasak, as story fades farther and farther away, Animal Kingdom will become just what everyone initially though it was, just another zoo. This is just sad.

wizards8507

Yes Pumbas Nakasak, as story fades farther and farther away, Animal Kingdom will become just what everyone initially though it was, just another zoo. This is just sad.

You're right. After ending the story on Kilimanjaro Safari they're going to start ripping down all of the rides, shows, and eateries.

Captain Hank

...I like the poacher storyline. :lookaroun Not to say that I'm a fan of the current iteration of the story/script, but I don't want to see the storyline chucked completely. For one, it provides filler in non-animal areas and in some cases where animals could be present but aren't visible. It *shouldn't* intrude on the animal viewing, unless there happens to be an animal right near the smashed gates--which there rarely is. Second, it does present a real conservation issue. While poaching isn't quite as big of a problem as it once was, it's still very much present.

It makes the experience more than just riding on a jeep and seeing animals. If delivered right, it puts Guests in the middle of an unexpected adventure. It does depend a lot on the driver, however, especially in the current version. Lots of Guests, especially younger Guests, really respond to the poacher storyline.

Finally, I just don't see the logistics working out on this one. It would take a lot of work (and money) to make the poacher scene into a habitable area. Plus, there would have to be a long full ride closure as there's no alternate way to get to the unload area. Kilimanjaro Safaris is already very, very highly rated by Guests. I just don't think that the Company would want to make such an investment for not much of a gain.

duran385

Oh please let this be true!

:sohappy:

The poachers really impact the ride's re-rideability for me. I just can't stand having that storyline crammed down my throat every time. The animals are the attraction. The fake drama isn't needed.

Totally agree

Skip

Someone's gotta have a pic of Big Red - been searching for one for ages. What was the reaction of the driver to seeing the poor corpse?

Indifferent on the complete removal of the storyline. The original version with the actors and all of the effects functioning was excellent, but the newer incarnation is so watered down that I don't think I'd miss it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom