Goodbye Poachers?

Hot4Hudgens

Honestly, I even forget that the attraction has a storyline in the first place. Never really thought it was necessary, so I'd be all for it if it's true.

Kamikaze

The original storyline, which i believe was dropped between Cast Member previews and the Grand Opening also included the visible corpse of Big Red.

I was there during soft opening week (first day of guests on KS and ITTBAB) and I vaguely remember that. I 100% remember two live CMs with guns at a Jeep, with the AA 'Little Red' in the back of the truck. My uncle joked to the CM to shoot the poacher, and got a laugh out of him.

thelookingglass

I fully support this if it's true. They'll need to find a way to re-work the story though to give a reason to cut your "two week safari" short.

I guess they could just stop calling it a two week safari.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I fully support this if it's true. They'll need to find a way to re-work the story though to give a reason to cut your "two week safari" short.

I guess they could just stop calling it a two week safari.

Even with the poachers I think it's not a very good explaination for cutting a 2 week safari short.

If I paid to go on a 2 week safari, and 15 minutes after we started we chased down and succesfully stopped some poaching, I'd expect that I'm still owed my 1 week, 6 days, 23 hours and 45 minutes left of my original safari that I paid for...

I think that the poaching story should go as well though... Just not compelling enough IMHO.

JIMINYCR

Sorry to see it go. I liked the poachers story line and "hit the gas lets get em" end of the ride piece. It gave some excitement and gave us a glimpse of the reality of whats happening around the world by poachers. I think it also gives more credibility to Disneys looking for help with the conservation donations. I think Eisner was right to cut out Little Reds mothers carcass being seen in the safari. Part of the exhibition is to have a teaching moment about life on the safari and I think it's valuable to let people at least for the moment to realize poaching goes on and needs to be addressed.

Yay! So excited to hear this news!!! Kilamanjaro Safari is one of my favorite rides! Now we will finally be able to focus on the beauty of the animals and the landscape and not some loud, annoying, and cheesy storyline that everyone tries to block out anyway!

The original storyline, which i believe was dropped between Cast Member previews and the Grand Opening also included the visible corpse of Big Red.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:Can someone fill me in on this original story line? As another poster said, it seems quite morbid for a non-thrill Disney ride....Anyways, I hope they add another story instead of just dropping the story and turning it into a generic safari ride.

I think it would be great if DAK had KS as it is with a storyline and then another more sedate safari style ride.
It seems that there's a strong contingency for both a themed and non-themed safari.

Spike-in-Berlin

A new storyline would be an improvement but I don't think that it would change the major problem with this ride, plain boring if you don't have luck with animal sightings. It would need a really interesting story to compensate that.

That's a very good point, there are times where people miss out on seeing a lot of the animals, there does need to be something going on to make it worthwhile.

I enjoyed the story the way it used to be: with gunfire and a jeep and the Professor lady and more Warden. Since they watered it down so much, its lost all allure. I spend the time ticking down until they will speed me away from the animals. So, the story doesn't do much for me right now.

BUT

I don't want the ride to have NO story. They should keep up the reserve talk and everything. And how will they explain our "two week" safari getting cut short? Imagineering will probably come up with something good IF this occurs, but they should not rip out the story completely. After all, isn't that what we all love about Disney attractions?

MKeeler

Count me among those hoping for no story. The backdrop of being on a safari in Africa is really all the story you need.

I, for one, hope they go with the original Jungle Cruise approach from here on- your driver will identify the animals you are seeing and provide bits of information about them, perhaps with a conservatory message in keeping with the general theme/purpose of DAK, but not much more.

thelookingglass

It can still have a story without having the drama element. The story could simply be that you're taking a safari you booked through the fictional Kilimanjaro Safari Tours company through the fictional Harambe wildlife reserve.

This is the rare instance where more story actually hurts the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom