Goodbye, monorail drivers.......? Sorry if already posted.

Monorail_Red

When I left in 2010 I think they were experimenting with GPS units for tracking purposes. Parking would have to be a track sensor, because I don't think that a GPS can be accurate within a few feet or even a few inches. Regardless of the beamway, the station approach speed is 15mph. With the current computer systems on the trains, the trains know exactly where they are based on reference points on the beamway. They are the large white squares that can be found on the beamway.

Monorail_Red

Below is picture of a Bombardier MK VI monorail in a Las Vegas station. Their automation has been aligning to automated station doors since 2004. It looks like the engineers even allowed for one foot or so misalignment.
LVM%2520Station%2520doors.JPG
The station alignments have to be much more precise for WDW's trains. The Poly is just long enough to accomodate a Mark VI train. The resort side of the platform had to be extended to make that happen. Being a foot off at the Poly means that there is a door at the front or that back that leads to a 30ft drop. But that's something that would have to be taken into consideration for WDW's automation.

PhilharMagician

When I left in 2010 I think they were experimenting with GPS units for tracking purposes. Parking would have to be a track sensor, because I don't think that a GPS can be accurate within a few feet or even a few inches. Regardless of the beamway, the station approach speed is 15mph. With the current computer systems on the trains, the trains know exactly where they are based on reference points on the beamway. They are the large white squares that can be found on the beamway.

Parking would absolutely have to be sensors. Probably a series of sensors to slow and finally stop the train. I cannot see why they couldn't get the trains within +/- 2 inches repeatedly.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Parking would absolutely have to be sensors. Probably a series of sensors to slow and finally stop the train. I cannot see why they couldn't get the trains within +/- 2 inches repeatedly.

They could put it on a dime if they wanted to. We can land flying jets at 150mph on a moving aircraft carrier automatically. I'm sure the control system can be designed relatively simply that can control a direct contact electrically driven train to stop on a mark :) The electric motors make it pretty easy to make fine movements compared to clutched combustion engines.

Monorail_Red

another challenge would be that every train has its own personality, and each operating cab of the trains tend to have a bit of a different behavior. So we are talking about 24 different personalties for parking. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Timon

The station alignments have to be much more precise for WDW's trains. The Poly is just long enough to accomodate a Mark VI train. The resort side of the platform had to be extended to make that happen. Being a foot off at the Poly means that there is a door at the front or that back that leads to a 30ft drop. But that's something that would have to be taken into consideration for WDW's automation.

No doubt there would have to be changes to WDW's 40 year old system. The stations probably need a full overhaul, too, not just the automation. Frankly I'm amazed they never had a real control room, the control booth in the TTC Epcot station is a joke. It sounds like the new up grades will solve that.

Here's LVM's control booth (under construction). This is what WDW needs to track every train and cameras everywhere.
  • LVM%2520Control%2520Room%2520Pre-Opening.jpg
Have you been following the big Bombardier monorail project in Sao Paulo? Wow!

(Begin drooling now)
Sao%2520Paulo%2520L%25232%2520Bombardier%2520Track%252002%2520Construction.jpg

The Shop! 54 7-car trains, totally automated, 90 second leadway.
Sao%2520Paulo%2520L%25232%2520Bombardier%2520Shop%252001.jpg

Walk-thru design. Too bad they're too big for WDW system.
Bombardier%2520Innovia%2520300%252003%2520-%2520Interior%2520%2520Sao%2520Paulo.jpg

Look what's on the nose! A coupling! Train pulling train or tractor, gotta be faster than the ol' towbar.
Bombardier%2520Innovia%2520300%252001%2520-%2520Sao%2520Paulo.jpg

s8film40

I can assure you the LV monorail station stops are far more accurate than the pilot stops at WDW.

Here is some station video of the LV monorail system.

thomas998

its still great to get to ride up front with the driver and in the back in DL. Had the chance to do both this past June. The kids loved it. Guess that might never come back to WDW.

And I'm not sure but I think the front is air conditioned... I know the rest of the train isn't but every time we've ridden in the front it never seemed to be hot as it was in the main part.

Tom

Beta Return
How do the terminal trams work at MCO? Those trains line up perfectly with the station doors every time.

Stopping a train exactly on a mark is the easiest part of the project.

lens300

Did you see how fast that switch was and the trains didnt have to stop. Ive been on LV monorail and it a unique system as it has some interesting curves and grade changes to get past some of the buildings. It really makes WDW's look simple. I dont understand why they havent implemented some of the automation that Vegas has already.

s8film40

Nice speed zone maps! The lagoon beam map seems to be missing a couple though. CO to TTC is 40MPH and Poly to just past the curve is 30MPH.

WDW1974

No doubt there would have to be changes to WDW's 40 year old system. The stations probably need a full overhaul, too, not just the automation. Frankly I'm amazed they never had a real control room, the control booth in the TTC Epcot station is a joke. It sounds like the new up grades will solve that.

Here's LVM's control booth (under construction). This is what WDW needs to track every train and cameras everywhere.
  • LVM%2520Control%2520Room%2520Pre-Opening.jpg
Have you been following the big Bombardier monorail project in Sao Paulo? Wow!

(Begin drooling now)
Sao%2520Paulo%2520L%25232%2520Bombardier%2520Track%252002%2520Construction.jpg

The Shop! 54 7-car trains, totally automated, 90 second leadway.
Sao%2520Paulo%2520L%25232%2520Bombardier%2520Shop%252001.jpg

Walk-thru design. Too bad they're too big for WDW system.
Bombardier%2520Innovia%2520300%252003%2520-%2520Interior%2520%2520Sao%2520Paulo.jpg

Look what's on the nose! A coupling! Train pulling train or tractor, gotta be faster than the ol' towbar.
Bombardier%2520Innovia%2520300%252001%2520-%2520Sao%2520Paulo.jpg

Just amazing what other countries create while our infrastructure crumbles and so many Americans seem to believe that taxes is a dirty word and no one (least of all the richest amongst us) should ever have to pay for anything!

And, yes, THAT is why we in the USA can't have nice things.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Walt Disney World Exterior Beam Speed Zones:
monorailsoprewrittenuns.jpg

Walt Disney World Lagoon Beam Speed Zones:
Epcot Beam Speed Zone Diagrams:
Source: Walt Disney World Monorail Standard Operational
Procedure Guide 'Study Guide' of August, 1995.
Nice speed zone maps! The lagoon beam map seems to be missing a couple though. CO to TTC is 40MPH and Poly to just past the curve is 30MPH.
Forgive my ignorance, but why don't both beams have the same speed limits in the same areas?

s8film40

Because on a turn.. the radi of the turns are different. The beam on the inside of the curve is making a 'sharper' turn.
The differences on the turns is negligible on the two beams. In general a Straightaway is 40MPH a banked curve is 30MPH an unbanked curve or an aligned switch is 20 MPH an unused station is 25 MPH a station in use is 15MPH. There is no difference between the two beams, in fact if you look at the maps above the speeds are the same on both with the only real exception being the resort stations since the lagoon beam is on the operational side of the station.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The differences on the turns is negligible on the two beams. In general a Straightaway is 40MPH a banked curve is 30MPH an unbanked curve or an aligned switch is 20 MPH an unused station is 25 MPH a station in use is 15MPH. There is no difference between the two beams, in fact if you look at the maps above the speeds are the same on both with the only real exception being the resort stations since the lagoon beam is on the operational side of the station.
OK...see I forgot about the switches and that is where I was seeing speed differences. Thanks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Cool - I was only speculating about the turns. The outside ones are still longer tho :) much like taking the inside lane vs the outside lane on a road. Same turn but one accelerates more than the other.

But why the 20mph zone between contemp and mk on the lagoon beam?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom