Goodbye, monorail drivers.......? Sorry if already posted.

Monorail_Red

Seems odd they are going with a Thales automation vs Bombardier CityFLO 650. Since the Mark VI trains were made by Bombardier and their automation for the MVI has been perfected on the Las Vegas Monorail it would seem wiser to go that way and avoid potential problems + $$$.
I know that when the Mark VI's came into the picture, somebody didn't get the memo about major electrical upgrades the existing beamway needed to accomodate the new trains. There was a lawsuit, and I guess the relationship with Bombardier and WDW has been bitter ever since. But I guess that tends to happen when it comes to lawsuits!

Sorry but it is. I spent more than ten years there as a driver I saw it everyday.
I was only in the department for about 8 months, and I < 60 second station times happen quite often. You need the right combo of pilots, platform workers, and crowd load.

Tom

Beta Return
I was only in the department for about 8 months, and I < 60 second station times happen quite often. You need the right combo of pilots, platform workers, and crowd load.

...and guest intelligence. I know not everyone lives in a city where mass train transportation is available (heck, I don't, but I know how it works), but the lack of common sense is amazing. How hard is it to just board a dang monorail?

So many people hop between packed cars, or run up and down the platform, looking for a car with a seat (while there aren't any) - so they can sit for 1 or 2 stops.

But, I have also seen far too many times where a train is sitting in the station and they just leave the gates and doors open so stragglers at the bottom of the ramp can board...while those stragglers do nothing to hustle. Just send the train already - they can wait for the next one just like I did. Caveat: I'm referring to the times when the train isn't waiting on block clearance.

articos

I know that when the Mark VI's came into the picture, somebody didn't get the memo about major electrical upgrades the existing beamway needed to accomodate the new trains. There was a lawsuit, and I guess the relationship with Bombardier and WDW has been bitter ever since. But I guess that tends to happen when it comes to lawsuits!

A lot of people, including in the dept., make a big deal out of the lawsuit, but when it comes down to it, it's water under the bridge now. Several WDW execs have since gone to work with Bombardier, and if there's a need to work together, there's nothing stopping them. The execs within Disney who would make the decision have no problem with Bombardier, if what they are providing is right and the price is right. They'll just add a few more caveats to the contract from past mistakes. Thales was chosen for the automation project because of prior experience, including working with Bombardier rolling stock, an existing relationship with Disney and price.

G00fyDad

...and guest intelligence. I know not everyone lives in a city where mass train transportation is available (heck, I don't, but I know how it works), but the lack of common sense is amazing. How hard is it to just board a dang monorail?

So many people hop between packed cars, or run up and down the platform, looking for a car with a seat (while there aren't any) - so they can sit for 1 or 2 stops.

But, I have also seen far too many times where a train is sitting in the station and they just leave the gates and doors open so stragglers at the bottom of the ramp can board...while those stragglers do nothing to hustle. Just send the train already - they can wait for the next one just like I did. Caveat: I'm referring to the times when the train isn't waiting on block clearance.

^^^ Holy crap. Right there with ya. ;) I cannot stand this.

The Mom

Premium Member
When Disney automates all of their monorails, the squirrels will be "beam kill"...lol

6. Do not bump threads unless you have something else to add to the discussion. Additionally, replying to discussions which have been inactive for several months or longer should be avoided unless you have something of value to add.

This is in the terms of use, which you should have read before posting. Please do not do this again.

I have also deleted responses to your posts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom