Good God, can't they do this AFTER park hours?!!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Not sure what you refer to specifically, but show used to be second only to safety. And courtesy came above efficiency.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. In the past have they put work on hold during show times? I'm assuming they still painted during the day.

copcarguyp71

It really isn't four months out of the year. At most it is usually just two and most of the time except for seeing the crane sit there, the work is done at night, this time they are doing work on the castle itself and the lights have been gone for at least two months, there were finished with that the last week in January.

Still at two months...after all the years they have been doing the lights on the castle there really does have to be a cheaper (long term) and more visually pleasing way to do this.

For the first couple of years I can buy that they were finding their pace or looking for an alternative but truthfully I would rather see no lights on the castle than a crane 2-3 months out of the year. We usually go in Sept or Oct and every one of our last four trips there is a crane in the photos. I just do not find that the effect of the lights overrides the detraction of the crane and plywood walls so much of the year. Panting (as they are doing now) is great and there is no other alternative than just to go ahead and do it so do not misunderstand I am reasonable in my expectations that there are some times and some refurbishments that need to go on. Lighting the castle is not a refurb nor is it necessary IMO if it means the crane over the castle every darn year.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Still at two months...after all the years they have been doing the lights on the castle there really does have to be a cheaper (long term) and more visually pleasing way to do this.

Embed them in the structure. They've developed the means to do it. They just need to take the plunge and install it.

There again, if they can't even replace the broken strobes or clean the ones that still work...

copcarguyp71

Embed them in the structure. They've developed the means to do it. They just need to take the plunge and install it.

There again, if they can't even replace the broken strobes or clean the ones that still work...

I cannot fathom for the life of me how the bean counters OK renting a crane (zero equity) for months instead of LED embedding (excellent equity) that would be the best long term investment they could possibly make. Just another case of MK being a ship without a captain IMO...

Goofyernmost

I cannot fathom for the life of me how the bean counters OK renting a crane (zero equity) for months instead of LED embedding (excellent equity) that would be the best long term investment they could possibly make. Just another case of MK being a ship without a captain IMO...
Please try and remember that the current "crane" situation has absolutely nothing to do with the lights. I was there the last week of January and there were no lights left on the Castle at all. They are repainting the castle. You could put LED's up until the cows come home, the thing would still have to be periodically cleaned and painted. I suppose they could spray paint it and be done quickly, but, I don't think that is the result we want. For anyone thinking that a building shaped like that, 187 feet high and as huge as it is, is a small job should volunteer to work on it.

It still amazes me that no one recognizes the visible construction going on around the whole area, show or no show, but have focused in on the Castle like it's a sin against humanity. This 'workers never seen' syndrome is a total and complete fallacy. Point a camera with magnifying lens and it appears that the workers are literally hanging over the top of the show. Is that really what your eye would see?

Think for a minute... You want the job done so the cranes will be gone, why not stop them every few minutes so that the public won't have to see them working. Make 3 months into five months. It's time to think with our brains and not our idealistic emotions.

fractal

Please try and remember that the current "crane" situation has absolutely nothing to do with the lights. I was there the last week of January and there were no lights left on the Castle at all. They are repainting the castle. You could put LED's up until the cows come home, the thing would still have to be periodically cleaned and painted. I suppose they could spray paint it and be done quickly, but, I don't think that is the result we want. For anyone thinking that a building shaped like that, 187 feet high and as huge as it is, is a small job should volunteer to work on it.

It still amazes me that no one recognizes the visible construction going on around the whole area, show or no show, but have focused in on the Castle like it's a sin against humanity. This 'workers never seen' syndrome is a total and complete fallacy. Point a camera with magnifying lens and it appears that the workers are literally hanging over the top of the show. Is that really what your eye would see?

Think for a minute... You want the job done so the cranes will be gone, why not stop them every few minutes so that the public won't have to see them working. Make 3 months into five months. It's time to think with our brains and not our idealistic emotions.

I completely agree. People have their panties all in a knot over TDO giving the biggest icon some TLC.

FerretAfros

Are we sure that they're renting the crane? If they know that they must use it twice each year, perhaps they've taken the plunge and purchased it for perpetuity. I know that DLR has a bunch of boom lifts, similar to those currently in use by the painters, that are permanently stationed backstage (including one that's forever trapped in the TSMM show building courtyard beneath the Screamin' loop); it seems safe to assume that WDW also owns some of the equipment that they use frequently, especially since they have a lot more (and taller) building under their jurisdiction

JoeT63

It seems to me that in the "Good Ol' Days" (isn't it amazing how so many of the Ol' days were good?) the MK wasn't often open until midnight or later. Now, in prime refurb months, the durn place hardly closes at all! Could another factor simply be that there aren't enough dark hours left to do these kinds of jobs?

Bairstow

It seems to me that in the "Good Ol' Days" (isn't it amazing how so many of the Ol' days were good?) the MK wasn't often open until midnight or later. Now, in prime refurb months, the durn place hardly closes at all! Could another factor simply be that there aren't enough dark hours left to do these kinds of jobs?

This specific job (painting the castle and its turrets with multiple coats of reflective/tinted paint) just can't be done properly during nighttime hours.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Are we sure that they're renting the crane? If they know that they must use it twice each year, perhaps they've taken the plunge and purchased it for perpetuity. I know that DLR has a bunch of boom lifts, similar to those currently in use by the painters, that are permanently stationed backstage (including one that's forever trapped in the TSMM show building courtyard beneath the Screamin' loop); it seems safe to assume that WDW also owns some of the equipment that they use frequently, especially since they have a lot more (and taller) building under their jurisdiction
Possibly, but not likely. Cranes of that type go well into 6-7 figures even on the used market and maintenance is quite expensive as well. About the only way buying one makes financial sense is if you are using it 24/7/365.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In the "good ole days" all parks were open later more regularly.

copcarguyp71

What was a good discussion just turned the corner into inflammatory "idealistic emotions" comments. Just because my opinions differ from yours does not give you the right to make such claims...done with you on this, I do not see the point in this with you any longer if heated remarks are all you are looking for. Look elsewhere my friend!

Goofyernmost

What was a good discussion just turned the corner into inflammatory "idealistic emotions" comments. Just because my opinions differ from yours does not give you the right to make such claims...done with you on this, I do not see the point in this with you any longer if heated remarks are all you are looking for. Look elsewhere my friend!
Sorry, I didn't realize that there was anything inflammatory about having "idealistic emotions". I believe I meant it was not realistic.

Robin Of Loxley

I personally enjoy the cranes and wish they were present more often. It is a wise move on Disney's part, as it shows the public that they DO invest in renovation & upkeep. After awhile, you begin to get used to the cranes as being "part" of the castle's signature feature. It's really no big deal, and like other people have said, the painters could even get involved with Dream Along by dancing, waving, etc during the performance.

stalkingmickey

Crane was up Sept 2012 when I went. They were putting up the Dreamlights....

I was there Sept 2013 and no crane but we did not do photopass so I really did not think of taking to many photos. I however did but the memory maker in January an was very displeased to see crane up. I was looking forward to lots of pictures with both if us in them and the castle. I did not take one photo of us together in front of castle in January. I got a few angles with my own camera without being able to see the crane

PolynesianPrincess

I was there Sept 2013 and no crane but we did not do photopass so I really did not think of taking to many photos. I however did but the memory maker in January an was very displeased to see crane up. I was looking forward to lots of pictures with both if us in them and the castle. I did not take one photo of us together in front of castle in January. I got a few angles with my own camera without being able to see the crane

We were there in late September. When we went in early-mid Sept last year, the crane was not up (I totally forgot about that trip lol) So they must start mid-late September? Anytime without the crane in the background is great though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom