Good God, can't they do this AFTER park hours?!!

Goofyernmost

I'm all for refurbishment work, but I still think it's very strange that they decided to do this with cranes and boom lifts, rather than scaffolding. Instead of being hidden behind a scrim (either printed to look like the castle or decorated in some other way, like the cards from Alice before DL's 50th), they're just putting all the work out there for everybody to see. It's just a very odd approach to me

And didn't they just have scaffolding up around the lower 1/3-1/2 of the castle about 4 years ago? Why does it already need repainting? It seems like nothing else gets repainted that often (DL's last castle paint job was in late 2004)
Would it be better if people had to climb up 187 feet of scaffolding, in the dark, carrying gallons of paint and equipment instead of just being lifted up into place by cranes?

You stand out in the Florida sunshine everyday and see how often you might need repainting. Besides there is about 90 feet of difference between half way up and the top. It's a theme park, not a killing field.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Another example of Efficiency coming coming in above Show.
During the day, I can deal with. During DAWM, though?!?

EOD K9

I wonder if they had to reserve those pickers 180 days in advance?
Most of us want our FP+ the earlier the better. The painting crew prefers it at night. As usual, because of a glitch in the system, and those workers not staying on site, they only got "day of" and those are the times MDE popped out.

Cesar R M

Nope. It needs daylight to be done properly.
Any idea why? To see the colors? quality?
They cant use super strong lamps to illuminate the castle at night as they work?

Or management counting pennies again by only working at day because working at night would cost too much?

Definitely not. Any time you paint something, you want to paint it under the same lighting that will be there when it's finished (whenever possible). Those high-output metal halide bulbs put out a very unnatural light. It would never look right.

and this answers my question as I pressed the POST REPLY button lol.

ParkMan73

All in all, I'm ok with this. Would I love to never see workers - sure. I'd like it to always be show time.

However, if they were doing some kind of precision painting, then OK. I'm surprised that no one has ever invented a lightsource close enough to daylight that you could use at night for these kinds of cases - but I'll accept it just doesn't exist.

I'm also ok they did this rather than put up scaffolding. I'd rather see a few cherry pickers and workers than have a majority of the castle covered for a month or two.

stalkingmickey

crane was up when we went middle of January :cry: :mad: only reason i dealt was knowing I would be back in Sept but if its still up what are they using crane for that is taking months?:confused:

Victor Kelly

Lighting is extremely important to paint and photography. Ever wonder why there is something called white balance on cameras and video cameras? Or even on your tv adjustments?

Chef Mickey

I'm all for refurbishment work, but I still think it's very strange that they decided to do this with cranes and boom lifts, rather than scaffolding. Instead of being hidden behind a scrim (either printed to look like the castle or decorated in some other way, like the cards from Alice before DL's 50th), they're just putting all the work out there for everybody to see. It's just a very odd approach to me

And didn't they just have scaffolding up around the lower 1/3-1/2 of the castle about 4 years ago? Why does it already need repainting? It seems like nothing else gets repainted that often (DL's last castle paint job was in late 2004)
Unfortunately, yet another cost cutting measure.

Man, who approves this stuff? I know it's not a huge deal, but it's very unmagical for the guests paying their hard earned money to be there. I'm sure that's not in the marketing collateral.

"Sorry, the castle will be adorned with fat construction guys removing our lights we are too cheap to integrate into the castle walls."

Chef Mickey

I usually am the type that says, "No big deal. They have to do it sometime."

I just think this is unacceptable and a slap in the face to guests paying money to see the parks. I get it. It's not like it can just be done magically, but come on...during a show? And not even behind a curtain.

This honestly upsets me.

Goofyernmost

Unfortunately, yet another cost cutting measure.

Man, who approves this stuff? I know it's not a huge deal, but it's very unmagical for the guests paying their hard earned money to be there. I'm sure that's not in the marketing collateral.

"Sorry, the castle will be adorned with fat construction guys removing our lights we are too cheap to integrate into the castle walls."
The lights have been gone since January. My goodness do you have any idea what kind of production would be involved with integrating the seasonal lights into the walls? How would you make them invisible the other 9 months of the year?

This is a refurbishment of the castle itself. Sorry, that it kills your buzz but, magic only exists in the minds of people. If you had looked around over the years you would have seen many times that workers have been working during show hours especially in detail paint work when the proper lighting is required.

I'd rather see stuff like that then paint peeling off the walls, so I guess we have to choose our evils. I would also bet that those "fat construction guys" could turn you into a pile of rubble fairly quickly.

Magenta Panther

That is appalling.

The least TDO could do is put up some kind of wall to hide that stuff.

I actually worked at a Six Flags-type park as a teen, and even the management THERE did ALL maintenance after hours - and why? It was following the Disney model!

If I'd been there and seen that, I would have raised holy hell. I would have called management. I would not have asked for a refund or freebie or anything of the sort. I would have simply ripped TDO a new one because it freaking deserved it!

Magenta Panther

The lights have been gone since January. My goodness do you have any idea what kind of production would be involved with integrating the seasonal lights into the walls? How would you make them invisible the other 9 months of the year?

This is a refurbishment of the castle itself. Sorry, that it kills your buzz but, magic only exists in the minds of people. If you had looked around over the years you would have seen many times that workers have been working during show hours especially in detail paint work when the proper lighting is required.

I'd rather see stuff like that then paint peeling off the walls, so I guess we have to choose our evils. I would also bet that those "fat construction guys" could turn you into a pile of rubble fairly quickly.

Look, Walt made the parks install underground walkways so that people wouldn't be running into Captain Hook in Tomorrowland. He thought it was worth the extra expense and effort to hide the mechanics of Disney magic. TDO has NO excuse for this. If it had the brains and was willing to make the effort, it could have prevented such a cynical flagrant show of disregard for the park guests and the Disney legacy of quality - what's left of it.

Shameful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom