Good fx news for a change

The Empress Lilly

Isn't it funny that so much is broken that we could speculate for page after page what they are going to fix? :cool:

Here's a great thread that deserves constant reminding, broken water effects: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=604258&highlight=fountains+adventureland

Wow hit my pet peeve on the head...heres what I have to share.

Then & Now
picture.php

Then & Now
picture.php

Now & Then
picture.php

And these two - bye-bye
picture.php

Quick list of outdoor general water features in the MK
(I'm quite sure I missed a few, feel free to add any I missed)

Fountains with plants -
1. Outside near Adventureland Veranda
2. Between Jungle Cruise and PoC
3. PoC queue courtyard
4. PoC store courtyard
5. Left of Capt Jack's stage
6. El Pirata y el Perico courtyard under stairs - overlooked again in a major remodel
7. Pecos Bill fountain - Night time dining room

Removed park water features -
1. Small fountain outside PoC bathroom, now Family restroom. (No they didn't put a door on the fountain, people!)

Reduced water feature -
1. Tiki Room waterfalls and pond greatly reduced for Alladin
2. Spitting Camels - the head on the outer camel used to turn, does the other camel still spit at the flyers.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Isn't it funny that so much is broken that we could speculate for page after page what they are going to fix? :cool:

Here's a great thread that deserves constant reminding, broken water effects: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=604258&highlight=fountains+adventureland
If I am not mistaken they are not broken but turned off. Florida has had drought or near drought conditions for quite some time. Water conservation is pretty much mandatory. Up here in Jacksonville we have been limited to watering only 2 days per week from 4pm to 6AM. It is a $250 fine if you do otherwise.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
If I am not mistaken they are not broken but turned off. Florida has had drought or near drought conditions for quite some time. Water conservation is pretty much mandatory. Up here in Jacksonville we have been limited to watering only 2 days per week from 4pm to 6AM. It is a $250 fine if you do otherwise.

Most of those water features were turned off around 2001... so 10 year drought?

yoyoflamingo

Most of those water features were turned off around 2001... so 10 year drought?

I do remember signs in the fountains, particularly in Caribbean Plaza stating they were turned off due to drought conditions.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if those conditions were lifted and no one bothered to switch them back on, or even knew they were fountains to begin with!

I miss the water features in WDW. It added so much to the atmosphere of the parks.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I do remember signs in the fountains, particularly in Caribbean Plaza stating they were turned off due to drought conditions.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if those conditions were lifted and no one bothered to switch them back on, or even knew they were fountains to begin with!

I miss the water features in WDW. It added so much to the atmosphere of the parks.

I remember them being on in 2000. Then in the Fall of 2001 all of them were off... I also recall seeing the drought signs in 2001. But yeah, they haven't been turned on since :(

I'm not one to whine or gripe a lot about the small things at wdw... but yeah.. this one irks me as well. Hey.. I liked the water features. :shrug: :lol:

scpergj

Unless you are lucky like we are and have a sprinkler system that uses non-potable water...we actually got a letter telling us we can still water as much as our lawn needs. They started doing this in some of the newer Clay county subdivisions about 10 years ago...

SeaCastle

I remember them being on in 2000. Then in the Fall of 2001 all of them were off... I also recall seeing the drought signs in 2001. But yeah, they haven't been turned on since :(

I'm not one to whine or gripe a lot about the small things at wdw... but yeah.. this one irks me as well. Hey.. I liked the water features. :shrug: :lol:

According to FoxxFurr over on DK, the fountains were shut off during the drought, but sometime during the drought season, new rules were created concerning water quality in public fountains. The Caribbean Plaza fountains are of different design than the rest of the ones in EPCOT and the Magic Kingdom, and due to a lack of a filtration system in the Caribbean Plaza fountains, they remained shuttered. Now, I understand there are plans to fix the fountains, but I'm not sure how close they are to being implemented.

boufa

According to FoxxFurr over on DK, the fountains were shut off during the drought, but sometime during the drought season, new rules were created concerning water quality in public fountains. The Caribbean Plaza fountains are of different design than the rest of the ones in EPCOT and the Magic Kingdom, and due to a lack of a filtration system in the Caribbean Plaza fountains, they remained shuttered. Now, I understand there are plans to fix the fountains, but I'm not sure how close they are to being implemented.

I know that its a rich company, with a huge backlog of little things that need fixin, but remember, water features are very expensive to fix. At least compared to other things. Also remember that water fixtures ON THE SECOND FLOOR are even worse since leaks and uncontrolled run off can get down in the utilidors.

SeaCastle

I know that its a rich company, with a huge backlog of little things that need fixin, but remember, water features are very expensive to fix. At least compared to other things. Also remember that water fixtures ON THE SECOND FLOOR are even worse since leaks and uncontrolled run off can get down in the utilidors.

Caribbean Plaza was built in 1973 (two years after the park opened), so there wouldn't be any Utilidors under it.

Neverland

Caribbean Plaza was built in 1973 (two years after the park opened), so there wouldn't be any Utilidors under it.

There isn't a utilidor that runs right under Caribbean Plaza, but parts of the utilidors were built long after '71. They weren't even a complete ring until I think the 80s.

tirian

replacement of the swiss family treehouse?

The Treehouse has been getting some quiet show refurbs; all the water features are working and everything except some of the books looks new. Even the infamous electrical tape light has been replaced.

Caribbean Plaza is scheduled to regain one of its best placemaking features. Marni and I will remain vague so we don't jinx it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom