Going to Orlando without going to WDW?!?!?

hwdelien

Original Poster
So not exactly like spending the day in the park but, we made reservations for Chef Mickey's for breakfast on 5/5/2009. It's only a teaser, but at least I'll get a little of the magic.

lilclerk

I'm all for spending a day or two at other parks, but I could so not do 7 days of just Universal no matter how cheap the tickets are. I'd get bored =\ And I like the Universal parks. Maybe reserve a couple days for Uni/Sea World without taking away too much from WDW?
On our next trip I'd like to take out 2 days of Disney and go to IOA (for Harry Potter) and Sea World (because I haven't been since I was 6.)

LSonDubz

every yr we take a trip up to horror nights and they keep most of the rides open, this is my once a yr trip to universal. allthough disney doesn't update much, it just seems to never get old whereas universal just seems like the same thing over and over.

i usually spend only 1 day at a theme park anyways so it's fine for me.

Susan Savia

I could not come all that way to Orlando and NOT do Disney World. In all the years we've been coming down, we have never gone to the Other parks...Although we have visited other places around Kissimmee for dining and shopping.

hwdelien

Original Poster
In, yet another, moment of good fortune my DW said to me tonight, "Why don't we go to WDW for Thanksgiving or Christmas?" Hmmm...

Maybe Universal in May isn't so bad. I've done WDW for Thanksgiving but never for Christmas/New Years.

I still see, at least, a one day park hopper for our trip to Orlando in May. At least, I'm gonna push for it. We can, at least, see our favorites.

wedway71

When I was in Management with Coca Cola a few years back I had to go to a Meeting in Orlando. I had 3 other managers with me in my car.

On the way back,driving on I-4 ,I made a detour through Downtown Disney. I told them too bad,soo sad I was at least going to drive by some part of Disney before going home to SW Fla.

I got teased alot after that but did not care.:D

Ilovewishes

Maybe it's different for us coming all the way from the UK, but we usually take time out to do the "other things". We've done US and IOA quite alot by now so we know which bits we like and which we don't so we usually manage to squeeze both parks into one day and then head back to WDW for tea and to catch the parades/fireworks. Busch Gardens takes us a whole day and we could go again and spend another whole day there. I just love it but I am an animal and rollercoaster nut so it's very much up my street. And Seaworld is my dream job so I could just spend a full day stroking and feeding the dolphins without doing anything else.

Oh, and Hulk (US) and Kraken (Sea World) are my two fave rollercoasters in all of Orlando!

But Disney are always my number 1 and I couldn't do Florida without going there too. It's killing me that DH wants to go to Vegas next year...there's no Disneyland in Vegas!!!:mad: :cry:

pilka214

now i'm fairly local (lakeland, FL) so a vacation to orlando is very common. and on occasion we have stayed at Universal studios (portifino and royal carribean)

and in my opinion they make a great vacation, a lot of fun and plenty of stuff to do for a long weekend.

but of course it doesnt have the magic that Disney world has to offer.

and the rest of orlando has tons to offer, good dinner shows, lots of restaurants, and shopping.

but my advice... stop a day in WDW at least at DTD i always feel a vacation is lacking unless i stop there. lol.

WhatJaneSays

I've done it plenty of times. I do normally try to at least make it to Downtown Disney or the Outlet if I don't go into the parks. I like Universal and Islands of Adventure, I just don't get over there very often. Some of my Orlando trips are for conventions like MegaCon and I don't even try to add a theme park trip in with that because I'm just way to tired. If it's like a 1 day convention I'll hit Universal or Disney for sure.

I rarely go to Sea World, I'm more of an actual aquarium person.

Little attractions and places like Ripley's and Old Town have made up entire week long trips. I really enjoy my non-Disney trips because Orlando is just a fun area to get lost in but you can only really do that if you live within a few hours of Orlando or you're taking a month long "Super Trip" to the area.

Edeyore

I'm so disappointed. Every year we go to WDW and at the end of the trip my DW makes the statement that next year we should try some of the other (shudder) amusements that Orlando has to offer. Usually after a few months, though, she gets the bug and we're planning our next trip to WDW. Our next trip is planned for May 2, 2009, but she sticking to wanting to go to Universal and Sea World (cough). I've never been to either and if I had my way I'd keep it that way. Not that those places don't sound like fun, I just don't want to do them at the expense of missing WDW. All kidding aside, 1 week is not enough time to do both. When we go to the parks we go open to close and you can't do more than 2 days in a row without approaching complete exhaustion. She pointed out to me that Universal has a $99 ticket that allows unlimited usage for up to 7 consecutive days. Ugh! I need a dose of THE Magic. I know I was just there in April, but that was almost 7 months ago.

Sorry about the rant, but I wanted to talk to some sympathetic (mouse) ears about this.

Blasphemy!!! Heretic!!! Away Satan!!! I cover my mouse ears and ignore your rant. :lol:

CartersMom

Please......i couldn't even go to miami for a few days without taking a day and driving up to the Magic Kingdom!! I thought my husband was going to strangle me!! It was pouring during the entire drive, as well as much of the time we were in the park....but i got to go!!

Symantha

hwdelien

Original Poster
Uncover your ears Edeyore, :p it isn't over until we head for home. Like I said breakfast at Chef Mickey's reservations are already made purposely early in the trip. We'll arrive on Saturday go to Universal Sunday and Monday, then Tuesday, breakfast at Chef Mickeys. We'll already have done everything at Universal, then I'll start turning the screws for visiting MK, I'm sure the kids'll back me up 100%. How can we drive through the gates at WDW to go to that breakfast and not immediately be overwhelmed by how close we are and what we are missing.

If not, it does appear that we'll be there Dec 25th, so 2009 will not go down as the year we went to Orlando and didn't visit WDW.

Todd L

I can tell you that I have spent my last 3 Orlando Vacations at US. Ive spent a full week at all 3 of the Universal hotels and they are all alot of fun and just amazing. The staff cant do enough for you. Big fan of City walk . We usally go to the Parks open-Close walk across the bridge get a Margarita from Margaritaville then head off to dinner. I also usally go to a dinner show off grounds like Pirates. The food is okay but we really get into it and have a great time. Go with the flow and have a blast.

burninup4nick

Aww...I know what you mean...I have only been to Universal 3 times (once when I was 2 because my parents took me to go see Barney who I was in love with, once when I was 5 because my dad got free tickets through work, and once in may for my best friends birthday) but I dont ever really want to go. Same with IOA.

I used to go to Sea World ALL THE TIME when I was in like 1st grade (but we lived 45 minutes away from Orlando and had annual passes to WDW and Sea World) but I went back in may for my best friends birthday and it was REALLY LAME! like I could have had more fun sitting at home watching tv....(i mean i was with my 2 best friends so it wasnt a miserable experience but the park was boring)

So I totally feel your pain...

baby1disney

Ok, we're doing that this trip. Going to IOA and US in one day!!! I told them that it would be impossible to do that, but they said that we could. I might just end up being in IOA by myself because I'm the only one who likes, LOVES, roller coasters!!!! Then doing the rest ast Disney!! I'm almost tempted to say let's skip it this year and plan for a longer vacation next time.:veryconfu We'll see........

Jeff456

Not sure how busy May is but I know that even during Presidents week(not sure on exact date) I have managed to do US/IOA in one day, probably not go on every single attraction but you could probably do it. Sea World is probably a day at most also. Worst case scenario your probably looking at 3 days for those 3 parks so you could probably squeeze a little of the world in if your persuasive enough :animwink:.

smk

:eek::eek::eek::eek: I have never gone to Florida without going to WDW , and we have been all over the state over the years. I could not be in Orlando and not go, ever, never. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

glendroid

I'm not going to lie. i love disney to death, but i have to hand the best attraction in florida to spider-man at IOA. Simply mind blasting!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom