Going the Distance... From Mile 1 to 26.2: A Marathon Weekend 2009 Trip Report

So it’s been four weeks since my boyfriend, Brett (27), and I (26) accomplished a goal we’d only dreamed about in the months leading up to our January 2009 trip… we finished the Walt Disney World Marathon :sohappy:!!!

For those of you who have read either of my first two (extremely long-winded) trip reports you are probably quite aware of Brett and I’s love for the Disney characters. And it might not shock you too much that our original motivation for tackling the miles was the thought of getting to meet all the rare characters found only on the race… that’s right, you read that correctly, we are two crazy people (non runners at that) who were willing to endure 26.2 miles of hell to meet a few characters. And since we’re talking about the underworld and all, I guess I should give Hades some credit as a motivator; he was our most sought after character (ever since we saw a picture of him high fiving finishers), especially for Brett!

To set the stage for this weekend, I should start at the beginning. A little over a year ago (December 2007), Brett and I set a goal to become more active, a new year’s resolution if you will, but we didn’t call it that. We started looking into Disney’s Endurance Series (because of the aforementioned characters) and decided that a half marathon (13.1 miles) was a manageable goal. February through May was spent teaching my body how to run, or rather jog. Seriously, in the beginning I couldn’t run one mile at a 12 minute pace without feeling like I was going to fall off the treadmill and die.

Once we made it over that hurdle we decided to go online and register for the event. Little did we know, the half marathon was already full and registration had closed! This was a huge dilemma. We had already set our sights on being a part of Marathon Weekend 2009 and we didn’t want to let it go. And that was when we started thinking marathon. I contacted my cousin for some advice. She and her husband are Ironman triathletes and she told me the distance was totally doable and she put together a marathon training schedule for us. For those of you unfamiliar with what an Ironman triathlon is, let me just tell you… it’s a beast. It consists of a 2.4 mile swim, followed by a 112 mile bike ride, and it wraps up with a 26.2 mile run. Crazy! Crazy! Crazy!

So we posted the run schedule and a copy of the course map on a bulletin board in the kitchen and began checking off the days. We also used a thumbtack to mark our journey along the map. I spent months visualizing this course, and during earlier WDW trips this past year in May, September, and December I thought about the miles we would cover while we were driving down the roads we would one day be traveling on foot.

We started out closely following the schedule until life and ITB knee pain got in the way. Okay, if I’m being honest some laziness and feelings of “I don’t want to run today, I’ll do it tomorrow” got in the way as well. Fast forward to the week before the marathon and our longest runs had only amounted to ten miles…. we were in trouble and very undertrained, but never did we consider backing out. Granted that might just show quite a bit of stupidity and stubbornness on our part :brick:!

And don't worry, the upcoming posts will include pictures!

joanna71985

I've been working on my trip report. When it's done it will be posted on my blog. http://runcourtrun.blogspot.com

Feel free to check it out. The men's race numbers only said their first name and left out princess. But you still have the chance of having a pink number. lol And of course you get a tiara medal. But hey a medal is a medal.

I love your TR blog! I really hope they bring this marathon back next year, because I would love to do it.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
In my opinion, not off topic at all, Joanna!!! In fact, very much on topic :sohappy:. I'm also interested to hear who all was out. I've seen pictures of some "royal court" types (Donald, Chip and Dale) and of course all the princesses.

I bet they're holding off registration for this one until after the Donald fills, (which is now at 70% capacity). I'm excited because we're still trying to decide between the half and full and this will give us another option.

courtfran

I think it doesn't open until May 1st just because that's when it opened last year and it is later than the half in January but who knows. Either way I think I'm signing up right on May 1st. lol

I'm trying to remember what characters I saw: Snow White and Prince Charming, Goofy dressed up in what looked like Mardi Gras gear, the wicked step sisters and stepmother, fairy godmother, peter pan, wendy, malificient, mickey and minnie by the castle dressed in royal clothes, and I'm sure there were others but I was at the back of the pack so some of the characters were gone already when I got to their spots.

I plan on posting some or all of my trip report today. Keep an eye out. :)

TakeMeThere81

Courtfran- I'm enjoying your trip report thoughts so far! Can't wait to hear all of your other details! I really hope I can do a race down there soon...I may still be here long enough to make the Tower of Terror 13K, that would be so fun!

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Holly I know at certain mile points you do at the marathon they give certain character medals. Do you know if they issue a Pluto? And what mile marker?

Also the charcter pics you got are amazing!

How long were you out for after you ran the race?

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Great start to the race report courtfran. I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

Holly I know at certain mile points you do at the marathon they give certain character medals. Do you know if they issue a Pluto? And what mile marker?

Also the charcter pics you got are amazing!

How long were you out for after you ran the race?

Actually, Disney doesn't give out medals as you make it to certain mile markers, although the thought of a Pluto medal sounds great to me :sohappy:. The only medal involved is the precious Mickey after crossing the finish line!! You earn the Donald if you complete the half marathon the day before and if you run both you receive the elusive Goofy!

I agree with you on the character pics... it was our main motivation for even attempting the distance!

I was struggling for the rest of our vacation, but we still managed to make it to the parks (we didn't really attempt getting in and out of rides though). We were hurting and really sore for probably a week or two afterwards. And I had some knee pain that stuck around for probably three or four weeks. More than worth it though!

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
That sucks about the pain. I dont run at all. I play ice hockey 4 times a week and I was considering doing MAYBE a half. You like inspired me to do it! :sohappy:

HopLow

That sucks about the pain. I dont run at all. I play ice hockey 4 times a week and I was considering doing MAYBE a half. You like inspired me to do it! :sohappy:

Me too! The thought of a full or 1/2 marathon absolutely has no interest to me, but add in some characters, a Disney medal and running through the parks?!? Count me in! I'm getting some friends together and we're going to plan to do one of the endurance events together...but maybe not until late 2010 or 2011. :rolleyes:

Thanks HollyBelle for your inspiration!

HollyBelle

Original Poster

I say, go for it! I wouldn't classify myself as a runner, either (even after finishing a marathon), but if you're physically fit and are willing to put in at least some work ahead of time you'll be fine, especially for the half. Another thought would be to participate in one of the Disney races that requires less overall distance, but still has the fun and excitement that only Disney knows how to create. I really want to do the Tower of Terror 13K, as it's a night race and villians are out along the course... and who can pass up a Hollywood Tower Hotel medal?!? As for the pain, it was a nice reminder that I accomplished something not everyone is willing to put themselves through... cheesy as the phrase "no pain, no gain" is, it really does hold validity :D!

Me too! The thought of a full or 1/2 marathon absolutely has no interest to me, but add in some characters, a Disney medal and running through the parks?!? Count me in! I'm getting some friends together and we're going to plan to do one of the endurance events together...but maybe not until late 2010 or 2011. :rolleyes:

Yay!!! Someone else like me... I totally would not do a marathon anywhere but Disney. However, it is addictive and I'm looking forward to participating in another Disney endurance event. I'm curious to know which event you're leaning towards. Regardless, have fun!!

joanna71985

That's the reason why I'm doing the Half! I would never have dreamed of running a marathon anywhere else. But because of the characters, I'm willing to run one at WDW. :eek:

HopLow

Yay!!! Someone else like me... I totally would not do a marathon anywhere but Disney. However, it is addictive and I'm looking forward to participating in another Disney endurance event. I'm curious to know which event you're leaning towards. Regardless, have fun!!

So far it's looking like Expedition Everest, probably 2010. I'm letting my friends decide because I want to do them all! I figure if they have fun at the first one, I can convince them to spend the money to go back down and do more. And the EE Challenge seems to interest them the most.

courtfran

Sorry for the delay everybody. I was out of town for a few days and then I got back and I was sick. I was in bed for two days. But anyways......Race Day Report Part 1 is posted. Enjoy!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
So far it's looking like Expedition Everest, probably 2010. I'm letting my friends decide because I want to do them all! I figure if they have fun at the first one, I can convince them to spend the money to go back down and do more. And the EE Challenge seems to interest them the most.
We participated in the inaugural EE challenge this past September and really enjoyed it. If you're interested, there's a detailed race report towards the end of my first TR:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=363799

We really enjoyed it, however, we probably won't do it again because it lacked the number one thing we're interested in: characters!! So I just wanted to forewarn you because it was something you mentioned being excited about. Not only were there none on the course, there weren't any at the beginning, end or even afterwards during the "post race party." :( The scavenger hunt was a blast though!

Sorry for the delay everybody. I was out of town for a few days and then I got back and I was sick. I was in bed for two days. But anyways......Race Day Report Part 1 is posted. Enjoy!

I hope you're feeling better. Your race morning experience was very much like our own... a lot of sitting and waiting and then moving to another place to wait. I'm shocked they did the Princess Half on daylight savings weekend, that's just cruel!

ETA: Tammy, it's in post # 139!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom