Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Finally caught up...all of the little details are just incredible. The whole BTMRR area is so nice, but what's really cracking me up is the love for the tea cups. Don't get me wrong- it's fully justified, but I have this friend who was in Cali back in April- had never been to any of the DIsney parks prior to this, but spent a day at Disneyland. She took a good 40 pics of the tea cups alone b/c she loved them so much. Your pics of the Nemo subs also brought a on a flashback of 20,000 Leagues way back when at WDW...the water always looks sooooooooooooo inviting. Just seeing your picture instantly transported me back to the "Oh that looks like such a refreshing place for a dip, but think they'll kick me out of the park and ban me for life if I ever try" mindset. Love it!

fractal

Original Poster
My old Fantasyland co-worker is in one of your Matterhorn photos.:)

Cool! :)

Finally caught up...all of the little details are just incredible. The whole BTMRR area is so nice, but what's really cracking me up is the love for the tea cups. Don't get me wrong- it's fully justified, but I have this friend who was in Cali back in April- had never been to any of the DIsney parks prior to this, but spent a day at Disneyland. She took a good 40 pics of the tea cups alone b/c she loved them so much. Your pics of the Nemo subs also brought a on a flashback of 20,000 Leagues way back when at WDW...the water always looks sooooooooooooo inviting. Just seeing your picture instantly transported me back to the "Oh that looks like such a refreshing place for a dip, but think they'll kick me out of the park and ban me for life if I ever try" mindset. Love it!

Thanks! I never rode the teacups but did take a bunch of pictures. It's a gorgeous spot!
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - "man, I would love to dive in that water and go for a swim!" lol. :D

fractal

Original Poster
After BTMRR we made our way down Frontierland towards the Shooting Gallery. By now, the park was packed - we stopped to test our aim but could only get one gun. I have great memories of my Father and I shooting at targets at the Shooting Gallery in WDW, so I wanted to do the same. We sort of did. Sterg shot from the rifle while got a shot from my camera.

i-Ps3zqW8-XL.jpg

Our fast passes were "up" so we went back for one more ride on Indy.

i-GTfCf3w-XL.jpg

We decided to spend some time in DCA before we left so we headed out of Disneyland.

i-QJqMpp6-XL.jpg

i-qW2XsX6-XL.jpg

i-TdGRsBM-XL.jpg

i-9SGSTxD-XL.jpg

We caught a bit of the band playing on the way out.

i-HxJ5xZ3-XL.jpg

So long Disneyland! It's been great getting to know you!

i-6s682nd-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Our time in DLR was quickly running out. Our last few hours in Disney California Adventure was spent riding Soarin' again and then just walking around and taking it all in.

i-Tb286mN-XL.jpg

i-BmQ43J3-XL.jpg

i-RB8RMqq-XL.jpg

i-rrzkrmk-XL.jpg

2012JOs525-1.jpg

Next time, I'm making a point to ride the rapids!

i-fHkP5Rd-XL.jpg

i-pKsG8wJ-XL.jpg

I liked this sign...

i-tNcM4zk-XL.jpg

and the benches right outside the parks...

i-SdfJHPg-XL.jpg

Sterg and I left DLR, walked up the Boulevard to Holiday Inn, jumped in our car and headed off to LAX to catch our plane to SanFran.

Up next, a final look back at Disneyland, and how I compare it overall with Walt Disney World.

Last edited:

Goofy6294

Finally caught up with your TR, and it was definitely worth it. I was trying to convince my wife to take the family out to DL during fall break, but Hurricane Isaac nixed the plans since the break was cancelled to make up for lost days. So, as a would-be WDW veteran who would have been taking his first trip to DL, thanks for sharing!

val002

Fractal,
Always love reading your TRs. You did a great job. It must have been awesome to spend so much time with your son, even if he was being a teenager the whole time. I bet he really rubbed it into his sisters' faces once you guys got home, totally something my brother would do! Your pictures really are great, you got a lot of the little details that most people overlook/don't photograph, so thanks for that. I visited DL back in 2004 in high school, but never made it to DCA, and I felt the same way being disoriented and thinking "why isn't ___ where it should be?" It seems you overcame that obstacle though! Can't wait to hear your closing comments, and thanks again as always for sharing your story!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Great trip report. Absolutely gorgeous parks.
If I ever conquer my fear of earthquakes, I would love to spend a couple of weeks in CA - Disneyland, Malibu, Hollywood, San Francisco and the Winchester Mystery House are all on my bucket list. Maybe one day.
I really miss your little sidekick Toni. She would never have chosen sleep over an early morning with her dad.

fractal

Original Poster
Wow.. I want to go!! Great pictures loved the TR

Thanks!
Your pictures are gorgeous. It was such a pretty day when you guys visited. Can't wait to hear those thoughts!

Thank you, we had awesome weather during our entire trip. I saw that you recently got some really hot weather there. Putting my thoughts together between a busy schedule.

Finally caught up with your TR, and it was definitely worth it. I was trying to convince my wife to take the family out to DL during fall break, but Hurricane Isaac nixed the plans since the break was cancelled to make up for lost days. So, as a would-be WDW veteran who would have been taking his first trip to DL, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Any fan of WDW would really enjoy DL - hope you make it out there.
That's great you and Sterg had a true father son moment. Did he realize the significance of the shooting arcade to you?

I told him after he was done. I just wanted him to enjoy it first.

fractal

Original Poster
Fractal,
Always love reading your TRs. You did a great job. It must have been awesome to spend so much time with your son, even if he was being a teenager the whole time. I bet he really rubbed it into his sisters' faces once you guys got home, totally something my brother would do! Your pictures really are great, you got a lot of the little details that most people overlook/don't photograph, so thanks for that. I visited DL back in 2004 in high school, but never made it to DCA, and I felt the same way being disoriented and thinking "why isn't ___ where it should be?" It seems you overcame that obstacle though! Can't wait to hear your closing comments, and thanks again as always for sharing your story!

Thanks much! It was great father and son time for sure. He was actually pretty good about not rubbing it in too much but he did get them to feel some jealousy. :D
DCA is such a great park and yes, by the third day I was starting to get the hang of the place - just wish I had taken that monorail trip sooner!

Great trip report. Absolutely gorgeous parks.
If I ever conquer my fear of earthquakes, I would love to spend a couple of weeks in CA - Disneyland, Malibu, Hollywood, San Francisco and the Winchester Mystery House are all on my bucket list. Maybe one day.
I really miss your little sidekick Toni. She would never have chosen sleep over an early morning with her dad.

Thank you! They both are gorgeous parks - you really don't need to go on any rides to enjoy yourself.
You should make a point to get out there and cross it off your list! I hope you do.

Yes - Toni definitely would have been by my side.:) There were many times that I missed her. Thanks for that observations!

Disneyfalcon

I'm caught up again! Isn't the Matterhorn fun? You missed a great show at Big Thunder - Billy Hill and the Hillbillies! One of my favorites! Next time. :)

You cracked me up with your story about riding Peter Pan and that picture is actually pretty cool!

Loved all the pictures, I can't wait until your final thoughts! :)

fractal

Original Poster
I'm caught up again! Isn't the Matterhorn fun? You missed a great show at Big Thunder - Billy Hill and the Hillbillies! One of my favorites! Next time. :)

You cracked me up with your story about riding Peter Pan and that picture is actually pretty cool!

Loved all the pictures, I can't wait until your final thoughts! :)

Matterhorn is a blast! I was disappointed about missing a show - I thought the sign in front called for a show at noon, which was right in the middle of our meal, but no show. If I had known there would be no show I probably would have not paid for that lunch. Perhaps my problem was not using someone like you to book the trip.

Thanks! Once I get some more time I'll wrap this baby up.

loveee your trip reports!

Thank you!

Disneyfalcon

Matterhorn is a blast! I was disappointed about missing a show - I thought the sign in front called for a show at noon, which was right in the middle of our meal, but no show. If I had known there would be no show I probably would have not paid for that lunch. Perhaps my problem was not using someone like you to book the trip.

Thanks! Once I get some more time I'll wrap this baby up.

Well, you know...Lol! :)

We will wait patiently!

fractal

Original Poster
Disneyland Resort vs. Walt Disney World
Before I went on this trip I said that I would try not to compare and contrast the two. I wanted to enjoy and experience DLR for what it was. I found it impossible not to compare.

Let’s start out with Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom. I spent a good part of my trip report comparing them in more detail, but these are my overall impressions.

Disneyland can be shocking for a first time WDW pro. The size of it, the small castle, the placement of lands and rides can be startling. It is not a clone of MK. That is not necessarily a bad thing, because once you get over that shock, you realize that DL in many ways more than makes up for its smaller stature.

Not only is the upkeep of the park at Disney standards, but I felt that DL got the details down better than MK. Adventureland was especially appealing, from the wonderful pre-show at the Tiki-Room to the flawless condition of the Jungle Cruise. Any nitpicker would have a hard time gaining any satisfaction there. This Adventureland also boasts “Indian Jones”; one of the best Disney rides made.

Fantasyland was also impressive - the buildings and facades just so much better than MK, not to mention being shadowed by the beautiful Matterhorn. Once again, the area around the teacups was magical as was IASW. At DL, IASW is a must do, only to experience the themeing of the building. I will be looking forward to seeing the new Fantasyland at MK to once again compare.

I loved the details around BTMRR, including the fish jumping out of the water. River of America seemed cramped at first but the ships are in wonderful condition. It is also the staging area for Fantasmic!

If you love Disney details then you will love New Orleans Square – not to mention the amazing PotC and
the Haunted Mansion – which was not quite up to MK’s, but close.

Critter Country was a bit of a disappointment – Splash Mountain at DL is half the ride it is at MK, but still worthwhile. The biggest disappointment however was Tomorrowland, despite a better Space Mountain and the inclusion of Star Tours. DL’s version of TL needs a major facelift .

fractal

Original Poster
Now on to what I consider an amazing themepark – Disney’s California Adventure, or as I like to call it;
DHS on steroids.

Consider the lineup of major attractions;

Soarin’ over California – maintained in wonderful condition.
California Screaming – one of the most thrilling Disney rollercoasters
Tower of Terror – though not as good as DHS
Tough to be a Bug
Grizzly Rapids
Toy Story Midway Mania
The Little Mermaid
Muppets 3D
Turtle Talk with Crush!
Monster’s Inc. Mike & Sulley
Add to that - CarsLand, which is the best thing Disney has done in a long time. If you are a fan of Disney themeing and details, CarsLand can’t be beat. Radiator Springs Racer is an awesome E-Ticket and the atmosphere of that land is literally pulsating.

The cherry on top is World of Color. Although I didn’t see it, the reviews for this show are outstanding.

The park itself is such a pleasure to walk through. It’s airy and open and allows you to slow down and take it all in. Buena Vista street is vibrant and the old time band driving around in the classic convertible really sets the “Classic Hollywood” theme. It’s also a great park to photograph. You wouldn’t catch me dead in the Mickey Ferris wheel but man is it fun to shoot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom