Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Looks like Disneyland won over another one. :cool:

Fantastic TR Fractal, I've enjoyed your insight and thoughts and pictures immensely! Thank you very much for sharing it all with us.

A shame you didn't see Fantasmic!, as the Disneyland version is in much, much better shape technologically and visually than the DHS version. You missed quite a few Disneyland-originals in fact, from E Tickets to A Tickets, stuff like; the Canoes, Sailing Ship Columbia, Submarine Voyage, Pirates Lair, Alice In Wonderland, Casey Jr. Circus Train/StorybookLand, Primeval World, Disneyland Opera House, Main Street Cinema, etc. But it's very hard to do it all at DIsneyland/DCA in three days, as you now know.

And yes, Splash Mountain is a thematic mess at Disneyland. I like the smaller/lower logs at Disneyland, but the plotline and story is nearly impossible to follow and enjoy at the Disneyland version. The thrilling drop and big splash, however, is identical, and that's all some people care about. :rolleyes:

Thank you again for your fun TR!

fractal

Original Poster
So now, for the $10,000 question. - Where would I choose to take my family on vacation? Disneyland Resorts or Walt Disney World?

This is a tough decision. I love WDW and hopefully always will, but I was very impressed with DLR. Now that I have been to both, which would I choose?

For a one week vacation, I would still pick WDW over DLR. As much as I loved DLR, I did miss Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I am a big fan of both parks. I also enjoy the
waterparks at WDW. There is also more of a feeling of being transported to another world - I know that sounds cliche, but it is true. The immense size of WDW gives you that feeling - especially if you stay on site. The sense that you have left reality for at least a short time is why I enjoy WDW so much - it is a way to clear my mind (almost)
completely and enjoy time with my family. Now, to be fair, I did not stay at a Disney hotel while in Anaheim but DLR's size can not give you that feeling to the degree that the World does.

Another thing WDW has over DLR - the feeling of being immersed in grandeur - from the towering castle, to Spaceship Earth, the Tree of Life or simply taking a stroll through World Showcase. Where DLR gets the details so right, WDW does the "big stuff" so well. MK is set off deep in the woods - just getting there gives you the illusion of visiting a far-away kingdom; while DL is literally surrounded by a wall that separates it from a highway. The dining at WDW is also superior - the amount of choices is really mind boggling, and my kids enjoy the meals almost as much as the parks. In fact, a good number of our favorite memories at WDW happened around a dinner table.

Before I am hated by all my new found "West Coast" friends, I will say this. If somebody gave me a choice to spend just one or two days at either DLR or WDW, I would pick DLR without hesitation. Being in that courtyard between DL and DCA ( and in front of DTD ) is heaven for any Disney fan. What a great place to start your day! The absolute beauty of it is that you have two of the very best Disney parks in the world that close to each other. Spend a morning in DL, then take a 5 min stroll over to DCA. Or hit DCA first thing in the day - walk over to DL for a few hours, then stroll over to DTD. For a 1 or 2 day trip, DLR trumps WDW. I will also add, that if we are fortunate enough, I would like to take the entire family to Disneyland.

The real bottom line is that you can't make a bad decision between WDW or DLR. If you are a Disney fan and have never been "out West" - it is well worth the trip. You will love it!

So there you have it. I have thick skin, so feel free to fire away!

I will also finish off this trip report by briefly reviewing the rest of our trip and how the water polo tourney went.

To be continued...

Californian Elitist

Love your thoughts! I don't hate you:) I never expect WDW vets to love DLR more, just like I don't expect DLR vets to love WDW more. A lot has to do with what you grew up with and what you're used to. For example, we (Disneylanders) love Sleeping Beauty's Castle, but I can see why a WDW vet may not like it at all. Then again despite its size, you've got West coast folk who don't like Cinderella's Castle, so that goes both ways. Another example, a WDW person may not mind the parks being so big and spread out. You could imagine what at DLR vet may feel like; they're used to getting to everything within seconds or minutes, including the other park. Now they've gotta take a lot of extra time to get to everything, including transportation, when they're used to just walking. Again, I don't expect people to switch their preference. I've seen it a few times but it's still rare. What matters is, despite what one is used to, they should still be able to have a good time at BOTH resorts. You fit that category so I'm happy!

HouCuseChickie

It's good to see your take on the two. We have wanted to take the girls to DLR, but neither one of us wanted to spend more than 2 or 3 days there...not b/c the parks aren't great, but b/c we just though it would be enough time + it would enable us to do more things while in Cali...i.e. San Diego, whale watching, etc.

Now I do have one complaint ;) - I did want to see you and Sterg on the fun wheel. I mean- he'd have no choice but to be the subject of at least some of your pictures up there. :D

Seriously though, it was a great report and as usual- sad to see one of your reports coming to an end. :)

fractal

Original Poster
Looks like Disneyland won over another one. :cool:

Fantastic TR Fractal, I've enjoyed your insight and thoughts and pictures immensely! Thank you very much for sharing it all with us.

A shame you didn't see Fantasmic!, as the Disneyland version is in much, much better shape technologically and visually than the DHS version. You missed quite a few Disneyland-originals in fact, from E Tickets to A Tickets, stuff like; the Canoes, Sailing Ship Columbia, Submarine Voyage, Pirates Lair, Alice In Wonderland, Casey Jr. Circus Train/StorybookLand, Primeval World, Disneyland Opera House, Main Street Cinema, etc. But it's very hard to do it all at DIsneyland/DCA in three days, as you now know.

And yes, Splash Mountain is a thematic mess at Disneyland. I like the smaller/lower logs at Disneyland, but the plotline and story is nearly impossible to follow and enjoy at the Disneyland version. The thrilling drop and big splash, however, is identical, and that's all some people care about. :rolleyes:

Thank you again for your fun TR!

We loved DL and DCA! We really didn't even have 2 days there. Hopefully we get back to do the thing we missed - I really wanted to see Fanstasmic! and World of Color.

Thanks for reading along and all your comments and history!

Love your thoughts! I don't hate you:) I never expect WDW vets to love DLR more, just like I don't expect DLR vets to love WDW more. A lot has to do with what you grew up with and what you're used to. For example, we (Disneylanders) love Sleeping Beauty's Castle, but I can see why a WDW vet may not like it at all. Then again despite its size, you've got West coast folk who don't like Cinderella's Castle, so that goes both ways. Another example, a WDW person may not mind the parks being so big and spread out. You could imagine what at DLR vet may feel like; they're used to getting to everything within seconds or minutes, including the other park. Now they've gotta take a lot of extra time to get to everything, including transportation, when they're used to just walking. Again, I don't expect people to switch their preference. I've seen it a few times but it's still rare. What matters is, despite what one is used to, they should still be able to have a good time at BOTH resorts. You fit that category so I'm happy!

We are fortunate enough to have two "Disney" resorts in this country and 7 parks. To me it's not even one vs. the other - Disneyland is the original and it was wonderful to see and experience it in such pristine condition and to take in all the history. DCA is such a fantastic park - I was amazed. I'm so glad we extended this trip to fit in a few days in Anaheim, only wish it was more. :)

It's good to see your take on the two. We have wanted to take the girls to DLR, but neither one of us wanted to spend more than 2 or 3 days there...not b/c the parks aren't great, but b/c we just though it would be enough time + it would enable us to do more things while in Cali...i.e. San Diego, whale watching, etc.

Now I do have one complaint ;) - I did want to see you and Sterg on the fun wheel. I mean- he'd have no choice but to be the subject of at least some of your pictures up there. :D

Seriously though, it was a great report and as usual- sad to see one of your reports coming to an end. :)

That is definitely the way to do it - spend 7 or more days in SoCal, 3-4 at DLR and the rest to explore other things! I hope you get there soon and thanks for reading along.

Yes - if I had him locked up in a cage 150 ft above ground, I could have gotten plenty of pic! :D

Uncle Lupe

Reading your last few comments of compare and contrast I was listening to an Elvis version of Always On My Mind. Strange coincidence but seemed fitting.

fractal

Original Poster
With all the great trip reports hitting the board right now, I need to finish this so I can spend time enjoying them.

Sterg and I made it to LAX in good time - thanks to Sterg finding where to return the rental car on his iPhone. He made a good navigator and really showed his maturity as I started to panic that we would miss the flight.

Our flight was smooth and we were in SanFran in less than an hour. We stayed near San Jose where the entire team stayed in one hotel.

The next day we drove down to Santa Cruz and spent some time on the boardwalk.

2012JO%27s%20536-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20538-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
More pics from Santa Cruz.

2012JO%27s%20534-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20540-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20544-XL.jpg

It was 58 degrees in the shade, but felt like 80 on the beach.

Next day were the first games...

2012JO%27s%20545-L.jpg

2012JO%27s%20546-XL.jpg

Sterg getting his game face on...

2012JO%27s%20548-XL.jpg

All the pools in California are outdoor - vs. in PA they play mostly indoor. Also, these are regulation water polo pools, deep at both ends.

2012JO%27s%20551-XL.jpg

Sterg making a pass...

2012JO%27s%20557-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
They won there first two games which put them in the Championship bracket - which was an accomplishment itself. The competition was fierce and many of the "Cali" teams didn't care for an East Coast team beating them.

Sterg taking a shot. He had a good tournament; 15 goals in 8 games.
2012JOs577.jpg

Here he is skying out of the water to deflect a pass. If I tried to play this sport they would be dredging me from the bottom after 5 minutes.

2012JOs607.jpg

Playing more tough "D".

2012JOs615.jpg

2012JOs616.jpg

The next day wasn't as successful as we played some big time teams from Southern Cal.

2012JOs637.jpg

The team still made it to Stanford University for the next series of games. Just getting to Stanford was a great experience.

2012JOs649.jpg

This was Water Polo heaven - they have a stadium just for water polo!

2012JOs650.jpg

2012JOs652.jpg

The Stadium was awesome - it included a huge big screen that was playing the Olympic polo games. Unfortunately, Sterg's team didn't get to play there - it was reserved for the older kids and the championship games. We had to make due with one of the two lower pools.

2012JOs653.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
Between games we took a tour of Stanford's amazing campus.

Beautiful church from the front...

2012JOs721.jpg

and the back.

2012JOs724.jpg

We met up with my nephew who by chance was taking a summer college course at Stanford...He was a great tour guide!

2012JOs731.jpg

He also made it easier to get Sterg and I in the same pic. Sterg had no problem posing for him.o_O

2012JOs732.jpg

2012JOs746.jpg

Don't get too comfy Sterg - you're a long way from going to Stanford.

2012JOs745-1.jpg

The church and courtyard from the tower...
2012JOs743.jpg

fractal

Original Poster
More pics of the campus...

2012JOs736.jpg

They won their last game at Stanford in a thrilling double overtime victory. Our goalie came up huge!

2012JOs766.jpg

The next day we lost our last game to some team from Florida - it was a close game but we came up short in the end.

Overall, the team finished 4-4 in the top bracket - a very respectable showing, and they were very competitive in the games they lost. Some parents were regretting that we didn't lose our first few games, which would have dropped us to a lower bracket. They were hoping that we would have had a better chance to win a trophy that way.

Personally, I think that is misguided. You get better by playing better teams and the whole purpose of this is to make these boys better players. Next year they are going to be tough to beat - they only lose two players to a higher age group.

As the tournament finished, I wanted to spend the rest of our time going to Miur Woods via the Golden Gate Bridge. Sterg though wanted to join his team for dinner at In and out burger. Can you believe I gave in? I still can't, but it was going to be the last time he would see his teammates for months.

The next morning we flew home. This is a trip I will always remember. In many ways I witnessed my "little boy" slowly growing up to be a young man. It was great to have a week together alone. A few times, things he said and did reminded me of things I did to my Dad at his age and things I said and did reminded me of my Dad. The circle of life I guess!

Thanks for following along and allowing me to take a bit of a detour away from Disney. Hopefully it won't be too long before I have the opportunity to post another trip report. In the meantime, it looks like I have a great variety of other reports to read and keep my Disney blood flowing!

Californian Elitist

Santa Cruz is beautiful and Sterg was playing a great game! Ditto on Stanford, it's a beautiful campus. I visited in middle school and fell in love with it. I'd love to go there but sadly I don't think I'm perfect enough.

Cosmic Commando

Meh, looks OK I guess... ;)

Really enjoyed your thoughts on WDW v. DLR, and I'm so happy you had fun! I also know that I will miss SSE, Figment, Kilimanjaro Safaris and Philharmagic on my trip, but it's got its own things to get excited about. To me, it's like chocolate ice cream and strawberry ice cream: they're the same and different, they're both good, and sometimes you get a craving for one or the other.

Disneyfalcon

Your final thoughts were awesome, Fractal. I agree with so many of them.

I'm also glad you included the water polo tournament! That was really interesting too!

What a neat trip for you and Sterg. Thanks for sharing with us!

fractal

Original Poster
Santa Cruz is beautiful and Sterg was playing a great game! Ditto on Stanford, it's a beautiful campus. I visited in middle school and fell in love with it. I'd love to go there but sadly I don't think I'm perfect enough.
Mmmm, In N Out. How did you guys like it?

FABULOUS trip report! I loved every minute of it. What did you and Sterg think of California as a whole?

Thanks! Every time I go to California I say to myself " I need to live here". The climate is amazing. This was the first time I was further north and I enjoyed it more than I expected. Beautiful State! Now you just need to get your finances and politics in order. :)

fractal

Original Poster
Your final thoughts were awesome, Fractal. I agree with so many of them.

I'm also glad you included the water polo tournament! That was really interesting too!

What a neat trip for you and Sterg. Thanks for sharing with us!

Thanks! - and thanks for reading along! Have a great time on your upcoming "unofficial" cruise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom