Goin' back to Cali - an estrogen free journey to the Golden State

There is a special relationship between a father and son. A young boy will look up to his father as a model to be. A father is almost like a superhero - always stronger and mightier than any other man. That's when it's easy to be a Dad. It's when you can do no wrong in the eyes of your your son. You can lift him up with one arm, throw him effortlessly into the air then catch him and tickle him on the way down to the ground. You show him how to do anything, answer all the questions, and be his coach and mentor.

Then the boy grows up. The son gets bigger and stronger and smarter. The Dad is no longer perfect and no longer wears the cape. He starts to leave the shadow of the father to become his own person. It's a difficult time for the relationship. The father yearns for the blind respect and awe that was given just "moments" before while the son craves his own.

And that's where I am. I have a 15 year old son (Sterg) that is growing too fast for my liking. He has found his antlers and is testing them on the "old man". The last year has been testy as the boy in the shadow is trying to overshadow his Dad. It's his quick jabs at the "love handles" or the chest that isn't as tight as it used to be that usually ends in a wrestling match with me placing him in the "Cobra Clutch" and he pleading Uncle - only I'm breathing heavier after each match.

When the opportunity came up for us to take an 8 day trip together I knew it would be more that just a trip. We were off to California to do many things; to see new things, to meet old friends and clients, to visit "Walt's park" for the first time, to compete in a Junior Olympics Water Polo Tournament, and not the least of which - to see where our father-son relationship really was.

For more background on the trip take a look at my pre-trip report http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/fractal-son-head-west-a-disneyland-ptr.841067/page-4#post-5060735

Our trip started at the Philly Airport waiting for our Virgin Airlines flight to LAX. This is when I found out that is was not "cool" for me to take pictures of Sterg. The one's I got I had to sneak or were under threat after I reminded him of how fortunate he was to be going on this trip. The young Sterg would eagerly pose for any picture - the smart-alec Sterg of only a year ago would offer up goofy faces, but would at least pose. This version wanted nothing to do with a camera - or was it the person behind the camera?

2012JO%27s%20002-XL.jpg

2012JO%27s%20001-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Once you stop thinking about 'why isn't it like MKs??' - you just accept it for what it is it's all fine. It's fine for it's own things.. and the areas like the wishing well, etc help round it out. I think you would still like MK's 'better', but you accept DL's for what it is. I mean, it REALLY is short.. like.. you can't believe how small it is... but it's good looking still (except for the xmas lights) and you look past the castle and soak in the whole scene.

If you have only been to MK, the first time you look down MainStreet at DL can be shocking. Like, OMG what did they do to the castle?

But as I said, it does grow on you.

Matterhorn is my favorite ride, as you can see in my avatar. It beat me up pretty bad the last time I rode it. Glad you liked it!

I like how you pay close attention to detail! You seemed to have spent a lot of time in Fantasyland:)

Very fun ride! Sterg loved it too.
Wow! Great pics! Sorry that Mr. Toad was a bit of a let down. Sounds like it is on par with most other Fantasyland dark rides.

I don't think we are the target audience for those rides. :D I did end up riding a couple more though.
DCA really does look like an awesome park now!! never having been, I can't say it for certain but comparing the pictures I had seen from early 2000's and now, it's like a completely different park. They really did a great job reinventing it!!

I agree with what everyone else has been saying about the castle. It is quite cute and quaint. The colors are soft and fit perfectly. The colors though would look silly on Cinderella Castle but on Sleeping Beauty's, they compliment it very well.

DCA is great! All that is true, but Cinderalla's Castle is so much better.

fractal

Original Poster
As I approached Peter Pan's flight, a few things went through my mind;

1) Wow, only a 10 minute wait!
2) Am I really going to ride this solo?

Standing in line I started to feel a bit awkward surrounded by families with small children. Then I felt uncomfortable about taking up an entire 4 person boat - the single woman in front of me started to make me feel a bit better, but as my time came to climb into my boat, I felt like everyone was watching.

Hey, isn't Peter Pan all about a boy that doesn't grow up?? I thought. Time to fly...

i-fv95vzK-XL.jpg

No good pics inside Peter Pan - this was the best I could muster. Although I do like the "action" effects of the battle, it was purely accidental.

i-7hh3pcg-XL.jpg

It's been awhile since I rode Peter Pan - I think in our 2007 trip. This ride always brings me back to my childhood - my first and only trip to WDW as a child - 9 years old. I remember how real it all felt; like you were truly flying. It's a shame how as we grow older it harder and harder to lose yourself in your imagination. How I wish I could feel like that again, but alas, logic and the view of the overhead rail helped put out those fires. The ride, however, was still enjoyable.

Continuing my stroll of Fantasyland I was really struck by the beauty and detail of the buildings. Ah! Here's Snow White's Scary Adventure. It caught me a bit by surprise because I didn't see any line or posted time. Either it was a walk on or was still not open. It didn't matter though, as much as I would have liked to ride it for the first time, my courage was spent on Peter Pan. Where was Toni when I needed her? This was definitely a time were I could have used some estrogen.

i-QjdKF8n-XL.jpg

Some more buildings...

i-XJghKVX-XL.jpg

Feeling more and more uncomfortable strolling through Fantasyland as a 44 year old man with a camera, I decided to move to a more "manly" land. Soon I was heading into Frontierland through the back entrance. First I passed by Big Thunder Rand BBQ. Looked like a great spot to eat.

i-6StfWDX-XL.jpg

I really like this cart...

i-m2fXCzD-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
I soon found myself on a pathway with BigThunderMountain on my left...

i-h9mh7kx-XL.jpg

and a river to my right with an amazing effect. I don't know if there is anything like this in MK, but I found this to be extraordinary. Every 20 seconds or so, you would hear a splash coming from the water. Hmmm, I thought, was that a fish or a bird? As this caught my attention I started to watch the water..."splash"...there is was! A fish jumping out of the water. "splash" again. Hmmm, that fish seems a bit strange. Holy Moly! that is a mechanical fish! As simple as that effect was, it really blew me away. Here, tucked in a quaint corner of DL, in the middle of the water was this effect. I would wager that 90% of the people that pass through here never spot it. That's what makes it even better. It's something that most people won't see, but Disney not only put it in but keeps it working. That little effect is Disney at its best!

i-KT6gxQh-XL.jpg

i-jk2fM5P-XL.jpg

And here was another example of Disney doing things right...

i-CxF46Rz-XL.jpg

Some more details in Frontierland.

i-bTSZnfv-XL.jpg

No clowns here.

i-WbQFwHk-XL.jpg

i-6qZGCcF-XL.jpg

GoldenHorseshoe -

i-DbLwVBK-XL.jpg

i-JvbsJnf-XL.jpg

i-TnNtJXF-XL.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

I don't know if there is anything like this in MK, but I found this to be extraordinary. Every 20 seconds or so, you would hear a splash coming from the water. Hmmm, I thought, was that a fish or a bird? As this caught my attention I started to watch the water..."splash"...there is was! A fish jumping out of the water. "splash" again. Hmmm, that fish seems a bit strange. Holy Moly! that is a mechanical fish! As simple as that effect was, it really blew me away. Here, tucked in a quaint corner of DL, in the middle of the water was this effect. I would wager that 90% of the people that pass through here never spot it. That's what makes it even better. It's something that most people won't see, but Disney not only put it in but keeps it working. That little effect is Disney at its best!

2012JOs387.jpg

Good eye! :D

WARNING: More Disney History Geekdom Ahead!

That's not really a "river". It's a landlocked little pond, fed by the waterfalls of Big Thunder on the opposite side of the bridge. And that jumping fish effect has been there since the early 1960's. This is a corner of Frontierland that still has vestiges of the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland ride that was Frontierland's "big ride" from 1956 until 1977. It was an open excursion train that was a railroad version of the Jungle Cruise featuring scenery and wildlife of the American West.

Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, Disneyland 1956-77
MineTrainPhotograph2.jpg

In 1960, when the mine train was already four years old, Walt embarked on a major expansion and "plussing" of the ride, adding additional scenes of wildlife and special effects. The pond you noticed was part of the new for '60 "Bear Country" scene where the excursion trains traveled over a trestle and bears cavorted in the pond below, catching fish and generally clowning around. There was a gag where bears were bobbing around in the water, dining on fish, while other fish jumped around them.

Mine Train heading through "Bear Country" over the trestle - 1960's
1968_BearValley.jpg

The Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland ride was shut down in 1977 to become Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in 1979, an entirely different type of train ride. There are still remnants of the sprawling Nature's Wonderland attraction on the periphery of Frontierland to this day.

The jumping fish you saw are part of those remnants, in the same pond as shown above. Except the bears were removed, and the trestle was removed, and only the fish remain. Here's a picture of that same pond in the 21st century, where the old Mine Train tracks were left to look like an abandoned mine above the pond.

The Bear Country Pond Circa 2012 - Where Fractal Spotted Some Jumping Fish
MT4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Mine Train leftovers/MT4.jpg

Disneyland has maintained the jumping fish effect to this day, as probably the last mechanical effect of that old Walt Disney attraction from the mid 20th century. It's a clever little detail, one of those things Walt Disney and his hand-picked team of Imagineers were so good at incorporating into his park.

There are quite a few little details like that around Disneyland, things from the 1950's and 60's that seem to be missing in the newer parks around the world. It's one of the hard-to-describe reasons why so many West Coasters used to Disneyland get a slightly sterile, overly-corporate feel from the WDW parks. In my opinion, the Tokyo parks can also feel sterile like that, although in a more purposeful Japanese-efficiency way compared to the slightly neglectful way of WDW.

FUN FACT: When you ride Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land, the Sherriff delivers the safety instructions in your car as the ride starts. And he ends by saying "Now go out and enjoy beautiful Ornament Valley, nature's wonderland!" That's the work of John Lassetter (the biggest Disneyland Geek of them all) and today's Imagineers giving a tip of the hat to the Imagineers of the 1950's and the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland ride. ;)

Californian Elitist

That's not really a "river". It's a landlocked little pond, fed by the waterfalls of Big Thunder on the opposite side of the bridge. And that jumping fish effect has been there since the early 1960's. This is a corner of Frontierland that still has vestiges of the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland ride that was Frontierland's "big ride" from 1956 until 1977. It was an open excursion train that was a railroad version of the Jungle Cruise featuring scenery and wildlife of the American West.

MineTrainPhotograph2.jpg

In 1960, when the mine train was already four years old, Walt embarked on a major expansion and "plussing" of the ride, adding additional scenes of wildlife and special effects. The pond you noticed was part of the new for '60 "Bear Country" scene where the excursion trains traveled over a trestle and bears cavorted in the pond below, catching fish and generally clowning around. There was a gag where bears were bobbing around in the water, dining on fish, while other fish jumped around them.

1968_BearValley.jpg

The Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland ride was shut down in 1977 to become Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in 1979, an entirely different type of train ride. There are still remnants of the sprawling Nature's Wonderland attraction on the periphery of Frontierland to this day.

The jumping fish you saw are part of those remnants, in the same pond as shown above. Except the bears were removed, and the trestle was removed, and only the fish remain. Here's a picture of that same pond in the 21st century, where the old Mine Train tracks were left to look like an abandoned mine above the pond.

MT4.jpg

Disneyland has maintained the jumping fish effect to this day, as probably the last mechanical effect of that old Walt Disney attraction from the mid 20th century. It's a clever little detail, one of those things Walt Disney and his hand-picked team of Imagineers were so good at incorporating into his park.

There are quite a few little details like that around Disneyland, things from the 1950's and 60's that seem to be missing in the newer parks around the world. It's one of the hard-to-describe reasons why so many West Coasters used to Disneyland get a slightly sterile, overly-corporate feel from the WDW parks. In my opinion, the Tokyo parks can also feel sterile like that, although in a more purposeful Japanese-efficiency way compared to the slightly neglectful way of WDW.

FUN FACT: When you ride Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land, the Sherriff delivers the safety instructions in your car as the ride starts. And he ends by saying "Now go out and enjoy beautiful Ornament Valley, nature's wonderland!" That's the work of John Lassetter (the biggest Disneyland Geek of them all) and today's Imagineers giving a tip of the hat to the Imagineers of the 1950's and the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland ride. ;)

Preach it, TP!

fractal

Original Poster
A mechanical fish. That is amazing the detail to make a fake river feel real.

That's what I thought - but there seems to be more to the story.

I know exactly which fish you're talking about! Sometimes I take a few minutes to watch it.

I'm glad I spotted it!

MineTrainPhotograph2.jpg

1968_BearValley.jpg

MT4.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the history. I did notice all the abandoned mine scenes but assumed that was part of the themeing for BTMRR. Very, very cool that they keep this going!

fractal

Original Poster
As Sterg continued to sleep in, I continued to explore Frontierland.

i-Jtt5nS6-XL.jpg

Practically empty. For now.

i-c5zgCv8-XL.jpg

The Mark Twain was getting ready for its first voyage of the day.

i-W5mFPx2-XL.jpg

i-99kNqnb-XL.jpg

Beautiful boat.

i-PkLPvdG-XL.jpg

All aboard!

i-vZmbVc5-XL.jpg

I really enjoyed all the wonderful plants and flowers.
i-tvh7w3M-XL.jpg

i-gx7XZvM-X3.jpg

i-HdDMZPh-XL.jpg

i-2N7LMNp-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Venturing into Tomorrowland, I decided to join forces with Buzz and battle the evil Zorg.

i-5DDgthK-XL.jpg

The queue was much better than I expected and I thought it was a bit better than the MK's version.

i-rHQdCsz-XL.jpg

This ride was sad for me. When I took Sterg on this when he was 11 years old, he loved it and I enjoyed being engulfed in his imagination. Now I was riding it alone and even if he were with me; that 11 year old boy was buried inside him.

Exploring more of TL, I discovered a few neat things amongst a land in need of major upgrades.

i-J9nm5bX-XL.jpg

i-w3JZZTf-XL.jpg

The line for the subs was already building.

i-s2pfzsF-XL.jpg

I decided to follow the monorail and go for a ride.

Pretty nice views from the monorail station

i-XrKcnfR-XL.jpg

i-XwmGp4w-XL.jpg

The monorail ride was great. It took you through Fantasyland, then outside of DL. You then got a nice view of DCA and then - Downtown Disney. Up to this point I didn't realize that DTD was literally in between DL and DCA - major "Derrr" on my part. Especially considering the signs I saw everyday that spelled this out. I guess I was just too focused on the parks. The monorail ride also gave you a nice view of hotels; Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel. I wish I would have taken the monorail loop much sooner to get a better lay of the land. At least I now know how things are laid out if and when I make another visit. The only downside to the monorail ride was having to listen to the annoying narrative by "Manny the monorail".

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

The monorail ride was great. It took you through Fantasyland, then outside of DL. You then got a nice view of DCA and then - Downtown Disney. Up to this point I didn't realize that DTD was literally in between DL and DCA - major "Derrr" on my part. Especially considering the signs I saw everyday that spelled this out. I guess I was just too focused on the parks. The monorail ride also gave you a nice view of hotels; Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel. I wish I would have taken the monorail loop much sooner to get a better lay of the land. At least I now know how things are laid out if and when I make another visit. The only downside to the monorail ride was having to listen to the annoying narrative by "Manny the monorail".

The Monorail is great. Fractal, I still can't believe you had no clue that DTD was right next to the parks. That is so hilarious!

miriamsolana

Dear Fractal, I'm loving your TR. It's so rich in details, your photos are great (congratulations!) and your narration is the best, a mix of fun and very personal and heartfelt thoughts (which I truly value). I don't want it to end! It's fabulous you took the oportunity to go to Disneyland with Sterg. I hope you can go back soon with Val,Alex and beautiful Tony! I'm sure she would had been with you that morning! On the other hand, is great you were on your own for the first time in DL.
I have many things on my mind but not having english all the fresh I'd like it to (spanish is my first language) makes difficult for me to express those things..I'm hoping my grammar is good!
Can't wait for more! I LOVED the fish story!!!

fractal

Original Poster
Great updates!!! I love your Frontierland photos.

Thanks!

The Monorail is great. Fractal, I still can't believe you had no clue that DTD was right next to the parks. That is so hilarious!

I can't believe it myself. When I first saw DTD from the monorail I said to myself "you have got to be kidding me". Again, I was figuring DLR was similar to WDW and DTD was at least a bus trip away. Fair warning to first time DLR visitors - do your homework before hand!

Dear Fractal, I'm loving your TR. It's so rich in details, your photos are great (congratulations!) and your narration is the best, a mix of fun and very personal and heartfelt thoughts (which I truly value). I don't want it to end! It's fabulous you took the oportunity to go to Disneyland with Sterg. I hope you can go back soon with Val,Alex and beautiful Tony! I'm sure she would had been with you that morning! On the other hand, is great you were on your own for the first time in DL.
I have many things on my mind but not having english all the fresh I'd like it to (spanish is my first language) makes difficult for me to express those things..I'm hoping my grammar is good!
Can't wait for more! I LOVED the fish story!!!

Thanks miriamsolana! I remember you following my last report. Thank you for the kind words and for following along. You english is just fine!

PolynesianPrincess

Loved the story about the fish! See it's little details like that, ever so small, that really stand out in ones memory sometimes when reliving a vacation in their mind. I can think of many small things I remember from past trips that really stand out to me. Other people might not notice them or think nothing of them but I do. It's a shame that these small things keep disappearing from WDW :(

fractal

Original Poster
After taking the full loop on the monorail I found myself back where I started ( although a bit more knowledgeable). Hopping off the monorail, I explored deeper into Fantasyland until I came to this sight...

i-jqzFRVR-XL.jpg

It's a small world in Disneyland. I've seen pictures and video of it, but it was still impressive in real life. Now, I'm not a IASW hater. I enjoy the ride well enough to ride it every time we are at WDW - but once a trip is good enough for me. It is enjoyable and although the music can get to you after awhile, I'm certainly not in the "Scar" camp; "No-No! Anything but THAT song!"

I was thoroughly enjoying DL facade for IASW. The way it was set off from the rest of Fantasyland truly made it its own "world". The centerpiece of the facade is a clock.

i-s8pnGdz-XL.jpg

Every so often the bottom of the clock opens up to release several characters - like a cuckoo clock - that perform a special song. I loved it! Although, sitting in a boat, my viewpoint was not ideal for pictures. Excuse me sir, do you mind if you could sit down for a few minutes???

i-QxBMmFC-XL.jpg

i-kCp4qGh-XL.jpg

The ride itself was very comparable to the one in MK - maybe not as big or as long.

i-7gfqLBZ-XL.jpg

The did do a "good" job of inserting as many Disney/Pixar characters into the countries...

i-ZmtK3Kh-XL.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
I took this pictures in my boat at the end of the ride.

i-bW4VcfR-XL.jpg

i-RxmMQJT-XL.jpg

Then a picture of the loading area...

i-Jw7GbnT-XL.jpg

Then back towards the "circle"...

i-JCxPnxC-XL.jpg

i-nB7HLLk-XL.jpg

At this point I decided I wanted to explore NewOrleans Square some more and also check if I could squeeze in for lunch.

Here is the front door to the special Disney Suite above PotC.

i-V9jRrFB-XL.jpg

I wanted to eat at Blue Bayou but the first time I could get was 3:30 which would not fit in our plans.

i-szCxWGW-XL.jpg

I continued to explore NO Square...

i-HScqFXr-XL.jpg

This store looked cool;

i-qJcW3kt-XL.jpg

i-Fkvs249-XL.jpg

Deeper I went into the "Big Easy"

i-mhQvWJN-XL.jpg
i-7LM7Mjf-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom