Trip Report Go west they said. The weather is so perfect you'll never want to leave they said.

Greetings to all my Disney-fied, Pixie Dust-fried friends! Yep, it's that time again...moving on to the next adventure. This time we finally went west for our glorious (or not-so-glorious?) return to Disney parks.

The particulars:

Who? Me, Tracey (DH, @Sweetpee's Sugar Daddy), Chandler (DS18, @casutton96), & Brian (DS16)

What? Disneyland Resort family vacation

Where? Disneyland Hotel / Disneyland / California

When? April 26, 2104 - May 3, 2014

I'm not feeling extra wordy at the moment (rare, I know) so let's get started....

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
That ToT photopass photo is perfect! you almost look photoshop'd in! :)

The irony about Bugsland.. you mentioned at how it's perfect in every way. Westcoasters would tell you it's the scourge of the park and needs to go! They hate on it without even blinking. They don't respect all the theming and detail because they focus on it all just being little kid carny rides. I think it's one of the coolest looking places around.. but they can't get over the ride choices.

I love the popcicle stick benches :)

I've read this with those west coasters. They need to go to WDW and get a perspective check. Is it little kiddie carnival rides? Yes. But the story and theming are so well done. So immersive. The simplicity of the rides is perfectly find for the little ones. It's a great place for them to enjoy while the details entertain the grown-ups. If you really think about it, the interpretation of simple shelf-rides is perfect for what it represents. It's a bug's basic carnival built from bug-size stuff. It's not wrong.

Californian Elitist

Great on-ride photos!

In regards to "a bug's land", it's not that I don't like the rides. I love the rides. The area is really great, I just wish they would have chosen something more California-specific to theme the area. That's all. Other than that, I really do enjoy it.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Of course we exited the park via the Grand Californian gate again. ;) Passing thru the Condor Flats area again...

The inside of Trader Sam's is pretty small. It was also full. There were no tables inside. We spotted a big family packing up to leave from a couple tables pushed together out by the rope that divides the Trader Sam's patio area from Tangaroa Terrace. We kinda lingered then swooped in when they got up. The moms were really nice and wished us as wonderful a time as they'd all just had. ;) Our server was quick to clear the previous mess and get us some menus. Great gal. Wish I'd caught her name!

Trader Sam's toes for @Disneyfalcon !

And for Instagram!

I don't think we ate any dinner so we were pretty hungry. While we waited for Darolyn & Ashley we went ahead and got a head start with a round of ice-water and/or soda and some flatbreads. I have pictures of the pineapple Hawaiian something:

And a really crappy shot of the Kahlua pork flatbread:

Darolyn & Ashley arrived and the drinky-drinks were ON! Darolyn & Ashley started out with an Uh Oa! which is a drink for 2. They bring it out flaming then you toss bits of cinnamon from the little side pockets of the bowl into the flame to make sparks as you chant "Uh Oa! Uh Oa!" I tried to capture it...

Aren't sisters adorbz???

Tracey had just 1 Bloody Mary (his new favorite from our lushy Thanksgiving Royal Caribbean cruise) which I do not have a picture of. I had a total of 4 different cocktails. I have pictures of 3 out of 4 but I don't know what's what. Or the name of the 4th drink. Stop laughing. If you've never been to Trader Sam's, the cocktails are some potent concoctions. And so good. I wanted to have 2 of everything but I'd be lickin' the floor if I did. So here we have a Krakatoa Punch and a Shrunken Zombie Head but I have no idea which is which.

My 3rd drink was a Backside of Water (not on the menu...sshhh!). I have no idea why I failed to take a picture of it. Forgot?

My last drink was....??? I have no idea. It came in a souvinir mug because by now I was too loopy to even care that the drink was $10 more for the stupid mug.

Oh my. This is a sober picture, isn't it? :oops:

Flash craptastic because lushy people never say die!

I wasn't can't-feel-my-lips drunk but I sure was feeling niiiiice. We headed out close to midnight. On the way walking Darolyn & Ashley out we were walking along a landscaped path and the sprinklers came on. All 3 of us girls screamed and clung to whatever human was nearest us. :hilarious: I have no idea what we thought that was but it wasn't going to get us if we had someone to hang onto. :hilarious::hilarious:

Tracey got the girls a taxi in front of the hotel. They weren't going far but he didn't want them walking unaccompanied so late. Awwwww... :inlove:

I wrote in my notes we were in bed by 12:30 or so. I know when I closed my eyes I had a total "Uh-oh" moment because when the room took off in the death spin I knew morning was not gonna feel good at all. :cool:

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Great on-ride photos!

In regards to "a bug's land", it's not that I don't like the rides. I love the rides. The area is really great, I just wish they would have chosen something more California-specific to theme the area. That's all. Other than that, I really do enjoy it.
Thank you. ;)

I get what you're saying. No worries. For what it is it really is done perfectly. I thought it was really neat.

PolynesianPrincess

My favorite part of the trip! :) Seriously, we had so much fun hanging out with you all. Your family is the best! I was in stiches the whole time we spent with you from laughing so hard.

And there I am in Napa Rose, waving like a madman to you! haha. Like I care what anyone thinks of me?! I wanted to wave to my friends, so I did! HA! Poor Ashley was stuck behind the curtain and was very distraught that she couldn't see you!

Did we really wait 45 minutes for RSR?! It so didn't feel like it! Probably because A - Ashley and I had just polished off a bottle of champagne and B - we were laughing and having such a good time while we were waiting! I'm gonna have to get you to send me copies of the pics of us all in front of Carsland because I got a DCA frame and I think one of those pics would fit very nicely in it!

Backside of water.... Mmmmmm.... So good!! I could've had like 10 more! Thanks goodness for knowing someone who knew about that "secret drink" :)

The sprinkler thing though... How hysterical was that?! I thought it was some animal in the brush or something! Thank you though for getting us back to our hotel safely!

PS - My Lilly dress arrived today! :)

PPS - I got the ice cream bar at Clarabella's as wel. So yummy!!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
My favorite part of the trip! :) Seriously, we had so much fun hanging out with you all. Your family is the best! I was in stiches the whole time we spent with you from laughing so hard.

And there I am in Napa Rose, waving like a madman to you! haha. Like I care what anyone thinks of me?! I wanted to wave to my friends, so I did! HA! Poor Ashley was stuck behind the curtain and was very distraught that she couldn't see you!

Did we really wait 45 minutes for RSR?! It so didn't feel like it! Probably because A - Ashley and I had just polished off a bottle of champagne and B - we were laughing and having such a good time while we were waiting! I'm gonna have to get you to send me copies of the pics of us all in front of Carsland because I got a DCA frame and I think one of those pics would fit very nicely in it!

Backside of water.... Mmmmmm.... So good!! I could've had like 10 more! Thanks goodness for knowing someone who knew about that "secret drink" :)

The sprinkler thing though... How hysterical was that?! I thought it was some animal in the brush or something! Thank you though for getting us back to our hotel safely!

PS - My Lilly dress arrived today! :)

PPS - I got the ice cream bar at Clarabella's as wel. So yummy!!

I'll be honest. You 2 girls really helped push us past our pity party. We had such a fantastic time hanging out with y'all that evening, too. I felt so bad because I thought we were nosing in on your last bit of sister fun time. Tracey & I both kept kinda whispering, "Is this okay?" "Do they seem cool with us hanging around?" "We aren't being too obnoxious, huh?" It was cute. And sooooo much fun! Magic friends are the best, like 1 big happy, nutty family! :inlove:

I totally don't care who thinks what of me. Well, strangers anyway. If Tammy thinks I'm a heathen for spitting out the big-S then I think I would -->:bawling:. I wasted entirely too much of my youth trying to be what others wanted. So wave like a mad woman! Poor Ashley, stuck in the corner.... :( ...:p

We did wait 45 mins for RSRs! It didn't feel like it at all, huh?

Next trip I shall toast to y'all with a Backside of Water!

Tracey was so worried about y'all getting back okay. When you ran to the ladies room he was like, "Do you think we can get them a taxi back to their hotel??? Would that be okay??? I don't want to be all controlling but I'd rather they weren't walking the streets after drinks." He's a great guy always looking to take care of others.

Attack of the killer sprinklers!

Oh! What do you think of your Lilly dress????

Clarabelle's ice cream bars are soooooo yummy!

AmongMadPeople

I'm enjoying your TR so far! It's bringing me some flashbacks of @Tom and my first trip last May. Our first day in the parks was like a high of 96 (not really windy or gritty though, thankfully). We made it through, but it was rough. I remember standing in line for Jungle Cruise, and having to wind through the second floor in that heat. So many outdoor lines and outdoor dining.

I love the two ToT pics! Everyone is doing the exact same thing, even the girls with the selfie and the little boy who looked like he maybe didn't want a second ride ;)

FlaggNL

Great, great TR as I mentioned before about your TR's :) Love the pictures, especially the night pictures. And good to see that TOT is similar to the Paris one... so different from WDW :)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I'm enjoying your TR so far! It's bringing me some flashbacks of @Tom and my first trip last May. Our first day in the parks was like a high of 96 (not really windy or gritty though, thankfully). We made it through, but it was rough. I remember standing in line for Jungle Cruise, and having to wind through the second floor in that heat. So many outdoor lines and outdoor dining.

I love the two ToT pics! Everyone is doing the exact same thing, even the girls with the selfie and the little boy who looked like he maybe didn't want a second ride ;)

I'm so glad you're enjoying the report! Y'all did your first trip in May, too, huh? 96! Yep, I know how that feels. I've heard so many people say, "But it's a dry heat so it's not as bad." For me, hot is hot. There's a point where it doesn't matter how dry it is or what the breeze feels like, it's just friggin' hot. I don't usually vacation in the summer months because unless I'm 100% inside it won't be worth the premium price paid. DL was definitely built for the milder climate with all those outdoor lines and dining patios. Coming up is a meal we ate outside that wasn't the most enjoyable because even tho we were in the shade sitting still, it was still hot.

I totally didn't even notice the girls doing the selfie! That's hilarious! I need to do some on-ride selfies next time just for giggles! The little kid over there on the left, I'm thinking about him and his mom trying to remember more about them. I know she said they homeschool because we homeschool so I was like, "Woo! Homeschoolers UNITE!" The kid seemed a little nervous but it was like a happy-excited-nervous if that makes sense. The mom was definitely talking a lot to him like talking him up and keeping him in 'the zone' so he didn't fall off into the aprehension.

That first time we went on California Screamin' with the boys we noticed 2 parent-related things that stood out to us. First, the family in front of us. It was 2 parents and 2 kids. The parents took the front seat and put the kids behind them. Tracey & I thought that was weird because, as much as we like that front seat, we ALWAYS give it to our boys when they're with us. Not those parents. Every ride for the rest of the week that we sat 2 & 2 we would joke with the boys to get behind us. LOL! Second, there was a dad & a little girl, maybe 8 or so, getting onto Screamin' in front of us and that little girl was sooooo scared. She was crying and everything. The dad wasn't like pushing her, she was just so overcome with the fear and excitement she cried. The dad was more supportive, I guess. Anywhoo, the girl is strapped in and the final harness check is going down. The CM checking stopped, stooped down next to her, and they talked. The little girl still crying kept nodding her head and doing a thumbs up. She wanted to do it. The dad was not interfering with the conversation. It was interesting to me that the CMs make sure the children truly want to do it. The train that we ended up being on was the one the little girl got off of. Oh, she came back smiling, laughing, and happy. I think she was just so full of emotion that's how it came out. As we were rolling out I heard the CMs calling to each other asking about the little girl. It was so sweet!

Cane's is also in Covington, LA. I love their sauce with the chicken fingers or the potatoes. Although the potatoes need some help. I never heard of eating fried potatoes with plain mayo.

Hey! We used to live in Covington off Bootlegger! That area has sure grown up since back when we lived there, tho. Our "if I win the lottery" place to be is Madisonville. We loved Madisonville so much. The Canes in Covington on 190 is where Tracey & I used to stop on our way home from work for some toast to snack on. That was post-Katrina when we were living up near Franklinton and commuting all the way down to St. Rose every day. :eek::eek:

Kelly, I want to vacation with you guys lol.

The more the merrier! We love to hang out with Magic-al friends!

Great, great TR as I mentioned before about your TR's :) Love the pictures, especially the night pictures. And good to see that TOT is similar to the Paris one... so different from WDW :)

Aw, thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying the trip with us!

I've never been to Paris so I have noooo idea what that ToT is like. The one in DCA is like WDW in a lot of ways. It doesn't do the rolling forward thing. It just stays in the lift. The story scenes are on different levels as you go up. It's still a very fun ride. Obviously since we rode it a few times. LOL!

Cars Land is just so, so perfect. I can't believe the detail. WHEN DO WE GET IT IN WDW?!!!

Love the honesty about mid-vacation burn-out. I know the feeling.
And the drinks look supercalifragilisticexpialidocious awesome.

I'd like to see another Disney and/or Pixar movie come to life in WDW on the scale and level of detail that Carsland has. That way there's more awesome-ness to go around. Part of the reason, to me, that Carsland fits so beautifully out west is because that desert environment is pretty much a hop, skip, & jump away. It's right there. I'd love to see WDW do something as detailed and immersive but with another Disney/Pixar franchise. They've got so many amazing ones to choose from. Why not?! Then there's more destinations to see!

When you think about it, mid-vacation burnout is prob'ly more normal than not even with ideal weather. People simply don't talk about it so much because that's not what you want to remember. With parks you're on the go non-stop. Emotions are running high. Most families aren't around each other 24/7 in their daily lives so at some point the little things will start wearing on you. I noticed Tracey getting aggravated with things I don't even pay attention to anymore with the boys. We homeschool so I'm around them a lot more than he is, tho. Like, Brian is a fast moving guy. He has lots of energy and his legs are really long. He mostly walked out ahead of us. Tracey kept getting aggravated by this because we'd lose him in crowds and didn't know if he was going the way we were. Or, it came off like he was disgusted with us for whatever teenager reason there might be. I know Brian's rhythm is fast. I call him back when he got too far or simply asked if he was good to go. Tracey? Notsomuch. I think for us one of the big difficulties was the drastic difference from our usual vacation(s) these days. Cruises are soooo different just in the rhythm of vacation life. Far more laid-back and relaxed, leisurely if you will. Parks are far more physically demanding on a more constant basis. As a result there tends to be a lot more intensity and tired, cranky people. It happens. ;)

Ahhhh, those drinky-drinks. I did love them. I know a lot of folks are pretty disgusted with the impending changes to the Great Ceremonial House at the Polynesian but getting Trader Sam's is a pretty nice pro to counter the cons. My only concern is that they make it big enough. It will be a popular haunt so they better not flub and make it too small to accommodate the people who WILL come. It's not to be missed. I have maybe a crumb of interest in returning to the WDW parks. I am very interested, however, in seeing the Polynesian Village once it's finished. I'd go to Florida for Trader Sam's alone! :inlove:

angieandtrevor

You can't get rid of your stuffies, some day you will have little grandbabies running around and just think how excited they will be when you haul all of those out :) Best.Nan.EVER.

Mater the Greater is from another spin off movie of Cars called Mater's Tall Tales which is a collection of short films - it's kinda cute. I only know because of a little person in our house who has watched it numerous times :)

LOVE your honesty, that is what makes these reports so great. Really enjoying this one, awesome job, Kelly !!!

Disneyfalcon

Love the breakfast pictures! :)

I knew you were on your phone in the Storybook line but I thought you were just entertaining yourself! I didn't think you were grouchy! It was stupid hot in that slow line!

I really wasnt' that squished in the middle! I was fine!

Chandler was brilliant! Teenagers! They know how to make the best out of technology!

I totally laughed that you said a non-Disney word. I completely understood, he was freaky! Lol

Here's our on-ride picture. We are the first 2 rows on the right. Just before we got in the elevator we all decided we were going to do the thumbs up/Disney point for the classic "I'm okay" signal (see my January 2009 WDW trip report). We all managed to get it right except Tracey. That's okay Tracey. You just do you while we all get the picture right. :cautious:

Left to right on the top row: Ashley, Chandler, & Tracey. Left to right on the bottom row: Darolyn, Tammy, & me.

After dinner Tammy headed home. :(:( It was soooo much fun having her there and being able to visit with my friend. Thank you a bazillion times over for coming out to Disneyland with us, @Disneyfalcon !!! We all had a great time with you! It meant a lot that you'd go so far just for a night with our bunch a loonies. :happy:

We returned to the room at about 7:00. I needed to shower and wash my hair. I was hot, sweaty, sticky, and I had dirt from the sandblasting air in my hair, ears, etc. It was NOT fun. As we were walking back to the room I whined to Tracey, "I feel like I'm sweat, dirt, and funk from head to toe." He said, "That's because you are. We all are." :bawling: I don't like to be sweaty and I don't like to be dirty. :arghh::arghh:

Tracey and I took the opportunity to do up what laundry we had. We were all in bed resting by 9:00. Last line in my notes for the day is: "Gosh, I'm beat!"

That picture still cracks me up! Tracey definitely missed the memo! :)

Thank you so much for inviting me! I had soooo much fun! I felt bad that I kept ya'll in the parks all day instead of swimming! But if you don't mind that, I'll meet you over there anytime! :)

Disneyfalcon

I had gotten a few texts from Tammy letting me know she had gotten home and asking me to go back to WoD to find a bag she was in danger of being killed or disowned for not getting for @polymissy . Apparently the newest/latest/greatest Disney Vera was in high demand and short supply. We picked a bag with the nicest placement we saw. I was so nervous picking another girl's bag because print placement is important. I know what I look for in the Dooney's print placement. I wasn't sure what to look for in the Vera's. :eek: I did my bestest and used my AP discount to knock off a little from the price. Tracey was a doll and Vanna White'd the bag for me to Instagram for Missy.

You may or may not have saved my life here. :)

I was so tickled that Tammy came out even for just the 1 night. That was the sweetest ever of her. We had so much fun. I still can't believe I dropped a bomb in front of her. :facepalm: I try not to. She's an actual lady...not in a stuffy way at all...but definitely an actual lady. I shouldn't soil that with my language. :oops:

You're so sweet. :D

PolynesianPrincess

I'll be honest. You 2 girls really helped push us past our pity party. We had such a fantastic time hanging out with y'all that evening, too. I felt so bad because I thought we were nosing in on your last bit of sister fun time. Tracey & I both kept kinda whispering, "Is this okay?" "Do they seem cool with us hanging around?" "We aren't being too obnoxious, huh?" It was cute. And sooooo much fun! Magic friends are the best, like 1 big happy, nutty family! :inlove:

I totally don't care who thinks what of me. Well, strangers anyway. If Tammy thinks I'm a heathen for spitting out the big-S then I think I would -->:bawling:. I wasted entirely too much of my youth trying to be what others wanted. So wave like a mad woman! Poor Ashley, stuck in the corner.... :( ...:p

We did wait 45 mins for RSRs! It didn't feel like it at all, huh?

Next trip I shall toast to y'all with a Backside of Water!

Tracey was so worried about y'all getting back okay. When you ran to the ladies room he was like, "Do you think we can get them a taxi back to their hotel??? Would that be okay??? I don't want to be all controlling but I'd rather they weren't walking the streets after drinks." He's a great guy always looking to take care of others.

Attack of the killer sprinklers!

Oh! What do you think of your Lilly dress????

Clarabelle's ice cream bars are soooooo yummy!

OMG, we were 100% fine with hanging out with you all! I actually said to Ashley before I texted you to see about meeting up "I hope they want to hang out! Do you think they're sick of us yet? Are we invading their family time?" haha so looks like we were both thinking the same thing! ;) Honestly, we spend enough time alone together here at home. We always LOVE seeing friends we don't see a whole lot!

You got yourself a keeper there with Tracey! ;) lol a guy who looks to take care of others is always a plus! And your boys too. Brian was so sweet to switch places with Ashley at WOC so she could see. Actually.... now that I think about it.... maybe he wasn't switching so Ashley could see. Maybe he was switching so he could be next to me so he could try his pick up line! hahaha. That Brian! Sneaky little guy! hehe

AndyS2992

Here's a pic of Walt and Lillian with their petrified tree lol
013114-Side-Streets-4.jpg

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Catching up (only on page 6), but just had to say that those photopass pics of the entire group are HYSTERICAL!!!

@Mukta looks like a fun girl to hang around with!! Nice to "see" you, I've read your trip reports, but don't usually see you in them. Girls Cruise? Just sayin'... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom