Trip Report Go west they said. The weather is so perfect you'll never want to leave they said.

Greetings to all my Disney-fied, Pixie Dust-fried friends! Yep, it's that time again...moving on to the next adventure. This time we finally went west for our glorious (or not-so-glorious?) return to Disney parks.

The particulars:

Who? Me, Tracey (DH, @Sweetpee's Sugar Daddy), Chandler (DS18, @casutton96), & Brian (DS16)

What? Disneyland Resort family vacation

Where? Disneyland Hotel / Disneyland / California

When? April 26, 2104 - May 3, 2014

I'm not feeling extra wordy at the moment (rare, I know) so let's get started....

gsrjedi

Finally caught up. I love to hear WDW vets reaction to DLR. The burger discussion made me go to Five Guys. We absolutely love Umami Burger when we're in LA. I love the breakfast tamale at Flo's, I recommend it on your next visit. I'm envious you got to go to 1901; and I would've had a drink too. Peter Pan is the worst for thin lines, but it sounds like you guys got to avoid that particular situation. I hadn't heard that about the Lilly Belle :( I'm glad I got a chance to ride in it last year. Trader Sams is the best!

Since your son likes cars, if you go back to the LA area with him you should look into checking out the Petersen Automotive Museum. It's a ways outside of Anaheim, but Riverside has the March Field Air Museum with some older fighter planes your husband might enjoy.

Last edited:

stillgoofy

Love your trip report and all your adventures. How much fun to be able to hook up with others while on your trip. We are going to DL for the first time in September and have learned a lot from your report.

Loved the sprinkler story :)

prfctlyximprct

You make me want to go to cars land soooo badly!!! Great pics!!

And the cocktails... OH EM GEE. Think I might just make a drink right about now.

:)

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster

And the cocktails... OH EM GEE. Think I might just make a drink right about now.

Might I suggest Hippie Juice??? It's my newest libation discovery as I seek the correct pickling-juice for the girls cruise in September. Its like drinking a Jolly Rancher and packs a lovely little punch. ;)

Tiggerfanatic

Getting all caught up, finally. Hubby left today for a week long bike trip with the guys, so I can just sit here and veg and read trip reports!

Totally understand the middle-of-the-trip blahs. Happens to all of us - best thing for it is a nap!

I don't like heat, either. Give me snow over humidity any day. I figure that's going to be the one thing that will suck when I get to do DL next year. I'll be there probably the 2nd week of May - thinking I need to plan an extra day just to have some down time.

stillgoofy

I am considering getting the Photopass for our first DL trip in September. Did you find there were quite a few photographers around to get a bunch of pictures? What about the stock photos they included, would it save me from taking a ton of pictures of the parks & attractions? I will still be taking pictures but don't want to spend the whole trip glued to a camera.

AmongMadPeople

I'm so glad you're enjoying the report! Y'all did your first trip in May, too, huh? 96! Yep, I know how that feels. I've heard so many people say, "But it's a dry heat so it's not as bad." For me, hot is hot. There's a point where it doesn't matter how dry it is or what the breeze feels like, it's just friggin' hot. I don't usually vacation in the summer months because unless I'm 100% inside it won't be worth the premium price paid. DL was definitely built for the milder climate with all those outdoor lines and dining patios. Coming up is a meal we ate outside that wasn't the most enjoyable because even tho we were in the shade sitting still, it was still hot.

I totally didn't even notice the girls doing the selfie! That's hilarious! I need to do some on-ride selfies next time just for giggles! The little kid over there on the left, I'm thinking about him and his mom trying to remember more about them. I know she said they homeschool because we homeschool so I was like, "Woo! Homeschoolers UNITE!" The kid seemed a little nervous but it was like a happy-excited-nervous if that makes sense. The mom was definitely talking a lot to him like talking him up and keeping him in 'the zone' so he didn't fall off into the aprehension.

That first time we went on California Screamin' with the boys we noticed 2 parent-related things that stood out to us. First, the family in front of us. It was 2 parents and 2 kids. The parents took the front seat and put the kids behind them. Tracey & I thought that was weird because, as much as we like that front seat, we ALWAYS give it to our boys when they're with us. Not those parents. Every ride for the rest of the week that we sat 2 & 2 we would joke with the boys to get behind us. LOL! Second, there was a dad & a little girl, maybe 8 or so, getting onto Screamin' in front of us and that little girl was sooooo scared. She was crying and everything. The dad wasn't like pushing her, she was just so overcome with the fear and excitement she cried. The dad was more supportive, I guess. Anywhoo, the girl is strapped in and the final harness check is going down. The CM checking stopped, stooped down next to her, and they talked. The little girl still crying kept nodding her head and doing a thumbs up. She wanted to do it. The dad was not interfering with the conversation. It was interesting to me that the CMs make sure the children truly want to do it. The train that we ended up being on was the one the little girl got off of. Oh, she came back smiling, laughing, and happy. I think she was just so full of emotion that's how it came out. As we were rolling out I heard the CMs calling to each other asking about the little girl. It was so sweet!

Hot is hot, and in the end I think the humidity just affects how much you sweat. The weird thing about our trip, we started our first day with a high of 96, but the fourth day we were wearing sweatshirts, and on the last day it rained most of the day. Another time where we were like, "But I thought it never rained here!"

It's funny how you can never tell if I kid is really scared, or scared excited. Tom and I ride Tower a lot, so we've seen all sorts of reactions, but I can only think of one time someone loaded in an elevator and then got off before they shut the doors. Then maybe some kids after the ride who wished they had gotten off! One time we had a great bell hop who knew one of the kids was scared for his first ride, so he didn't give a creepy spiel as they checked seat belts and closed up. Instead he talked normal, and asked everyone how much fun the ride is. California Screamin would be quite the ride to be scared on, but at least the worst part of it is over fairly fast!

Goofy6294

Just finished catching up on your TR! Great so far and looking forward to the rest! We actually live just southwest of New Orleans, so I can relate to lots of your memories from when you lived here. A little off-topic, but you mentioned San Antonio and Schlitterbahn early in your posts. The family is headed to San Antonio in a few weeks...any tips or recommendations? My kids are a little younger than yours - DS12, DS7 and DD2, if that helps.

Tom

Beta Return
Hot is hot, and in the end I think the humidity just affects how much you sweat. The weird thing about our trip, we started our first day with a high of 96, but the fourth day we were wearing sweatshirts, and on the last day it rained most of the day. Another time where we were like, "But I thought it never rained here!"

It's funny how you can never tell if I kid is really scared, or scared excited. Tom and I ride Tower a lot, so we've seen all sorts of reactions, but I can only think of one time someone loaded in an elevator and then got off before they shut the doors. Then maybe some kids after the ride who wished they had gotten off! One time we had a great bell hop who knew one of the kids was scared for his first ride, so he didn't give a creepy spiel as they checked seat belts and closed up. Instead he talked normal, and asked everyone how much fun the ride is. California Screamin would be quite the ride to be scared on, but at least the worst part of it is over fairly fast!

Hey, remember that one little girl who was crying her eyes out, but her parents made her ride it because they wanted to? They definitely should have won an award.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
OMG, we were 100% fine with hanging out with you all! I actually said to Ashley before I texted you to see about meeting up "I hope they want to hang out! Do you think they're sick of us yet? Are we invading their family time?" haha so looks like we were both thinking the same thing! ;) Honestly, we spend enough time alone together here at home. We always LOVE seeing friends we don't see a whole lot!

You got yourself a keeper there with Tracey! ;) lol a guy who looks to take care of others is always a plus! And your boys too. Brian was so sweet to switch places with Ashley at WOC so she could see. Actually.... now that I think about it.... maybe he wasn't switching so Ashley could see. Maybe he was switching so he could be next to me so he could try his pick up line! hahaha. That Brian! Sneaky little guy! hehe

Awwww!!! We'd never get tired of y'all. You're too much fun!

Thank you. I think Tracey's a keeper, too. ;)

Brian probably switched spots with Ashley at WoC so she could see better then saw his golden opportunity to spring his "move" on you. I can't wait to hear what you say about that in your TR...in November... Right? :happy:

Here's a pic of Walt and Lillian with their petrified tree lol
013114-Side-Streets-4.jpg

I :inlove: this! Thank you for the post! I swear, how many ladies out there can say, "Oh yes, he gave me a petrified tree...."

Catching up (only on page 6), but just had to say that those photopass pics of the entire group are HYSTERICAL!!!

@Mukta looks like a fun girl to hang around with!! Nice to "see" you, I've read your trip reports, but don't usually see you in them. Girls Cruise? Just sayin'... ;)

I love fun group Photopass pics! Aren't they the BEST?!

@Mukta is awesome! I do need to let her know when we'll be out west again! Oh she soooo should jump in on a girls cruise. Perfect fit!

Finally caught up. I love to hear WDW vets reaction to DLR. The burger discussion made me go to Five Guys. We absolutely love Umami Burger when we're in LA. I love the breakfast tamale at Flo's, I recommend it on your next visit. I'm envious you got to go to 1901; and I would've had a drink too. Peter Pan is the worst for thin lines, but it sounds like you guys got to avoid that particular situation. I hadn't heard that about the Lilly Belle :( I'm glad I got a chance to ride in it last year. Trader Sams is the best!

Since your son likes cars, if you go back to the LA area with him you should look into checking out the Petersen Automotive Museum. It's a ways outside of Anaheim, but Riverside has the March Field Air Museum with some older fighter planes your husband might enjoy.

I think one of my guys had the breakfast tamale. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing one. Flo's has great ambiance so it's a great spot to catch breakfast. Agreed!

1901. If we weren't on such a tight schedule I could soooo work that bar menu. LOL! It's really beautiful in there. It's neat being in the center of so much hustle-n-bustle in such a quiet, low-key place.

We never did the standby line for Peter Pan. They brought us in and loaded us thru the exit. If it's as narrow as the Jungle Cruise...yikes! And that's always such a long line!

I'm still a little sad we missed the Lilly Belle. I've seen pics and it's so pretty. I'd love to see it for myself someday. Maybe somehow if I wish on enough stars, huh?

Oh Chandler would loooove the Petersen museum! And Tracey would totally love that March Field Air Museum. I may look that one up for our next trip out west. I need to compile a solid list of places to go & see from Anaheim so if we find ourselves not wanting to fight the parks herds we can just grab a rental car and go. Thanks for the recommends! Both are going on the list!

Love your trip report and all your adventures. How much fun to be able to hook up with others while on your trip. We are going to DL for the first time in September and have learned a lot from your report.

Loved the sprinkler story :)

I love meeting up with friends both new & old! When in September are you going???? Tracey & I booked air back out at the end of the month to celebrate our belated anniversary but we're somewhat on the fence whether to switch it over to a cruise. It's hard to beat that laid-back cruise vibe!

Killer sprinklers! I swear!

Loved following along with your report!

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying!!! :)

Eeeeveryone should see Carsland at least once. It's mind-melting awesome...and not just from the crazy Santa Ana winds!

Getting all caught up, finally. Hubby left today for a week long bike trip with the guys, so I can just sit here and veg and read trip reports!

Totally understand the middle-of-the-trip blahs. Happens to all of us - best thing for it is a nap!

I don't like heat, either. Give me snow over humidity any day. I figure that's going to be the one thing that will suck when I get to do DL next year. I'll be there probably the 2nd week of May - thinking I need to plan an extra day just to have some down time.

Absolutely! A nap makes everything better. I looooove to nap! The normal weather for May is very mild so I'll cross my fingers that you get the usual weather instead of our crazy hot misery. It's hard to keep from not overdoing it those first few days because there's just sooooo much awesomeness to explore. But, if you can pace yourself and maybe fit in a nap I think you'll do much better than we did. We're just crazy like that. We know better but we go crazy anyway. Not smart!

I am considering getting the Photopass for our first DL trip in September. Did you find there were quite a few photographers around to get a bunch of pictures? What about the stock photos they included, would it save me from taking a ton of pictures of the parks & attractions? I will still be taking pictures but don't want to spend the whole trip glued to a camera.

We spotted photographers around a good bit. The Photopass+ gives you all your on-ride pics so that's a big perk. Also, if you do one of the character meals that does pics like Goofy's Kitchen you'll get those pics, too. I haven't even looked at the stock photos. I have no clue what's even there. I wouldn't rely on them entirely. One good thing is if you do the preorder they send the stock photo cd when they send your little certificate with the code. You'll have it before your trip. You can look at it before you go and see what's there so you'll know what pics you might not want to bother seeking.

Yep. Hot is hot and humidity just affects how much you sweat. I have a funny pic of a guy who was in line for TSMM ahead of us that took off his backpack but the outline was on his back perfect in sweat.

I'm sure we talked the boys up on the scary rides when they were little. We had a few times (not just at WDW) where we got up to the ride itself and they couldn't do it. That's okay! It is interesting to watch the way people handle it. And I'm always cheering for the kiddos who are so brave and face their fears like little warriors only to find they loved the ride! That's awesome!

Just finished catching up on your TR! Great so far and looking forward to the rest! We actually live just southwest of New Orleans, so I can relate to lots of your memories from when you lived here. A little off-topic, but you mentioned San Antonio and Schlitterbahn early in your posts. The family is headed to San Antonio in a few weeks...any tips or recommendations? My kids are a little younger than yours - DS12, DS7 and DD2, if that helps.

Tracey read your response and was all, "OH! Where do they live?!" We miss Louisiana soooo much! It's been a few years since we've been to San Antonio. We took the boys over to Sea World one summer. I guess that was 2008. It was like maybe a month later we had to evacuate for Hurricane Gustav so we went over to the Hyatt Hill Country. They gave us a killer rate and that's a super nice resort. One could vacation there without ever leaving! We've also been to the Alamo and had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe on the Riverwalk. On a seperate trip we went to New Braunfels where the originial Schlitterbahn is located. It was just a short trip just to spend a full day at the waterpark. New Braunfels is actually more in between San Antonio and Austin. I personally thought it was okay. I understand why it gets such raves on the Travel Channel. The park is actually split into 2 sections. The first section is the original park location. Some of the original slides are fed naturally so the water is crazy cold. My inlaws pointed out which ones and I didn't do those. Schlitterbahn wanted to expand the park at some point so they bought another plot nearby but it's not linked the way you would think. You have to take a little tram to the other half or hike it. Well, on a hot day the last thing I want to do is get inside a damp, hot little tram. It wasn't fun to hike it. I wasn't overly pleased because of the limitations of the layout. In fact, it was irritating to me. We ended up spending more time relaxing with the inlaws and other family in the cabana my mother-in-law rented and letting the kids go do whatever. I really like the layout of the Schlitterbahn in Galveston near us much better. It's smaller, granted, but everything is more accessible and there's no divide between the park sections. It's all right there. And I love that I can get on the "river" and float to all sides of the park. You just hop out near whatever you want to do or hop back and to float back over to the entry point nearest your "camp spot".

Hey, remember that one little girl who was crying her eyes out, but her parents made her ride it because they wanted to? They definitely should have won an award.

My dad did that to me on WDW's BTMRR when I was like 6. It did not go well. My dad tells the story now and always ends with, "I wish I'd never done that. That was the worst mistake. I'm sorry, baby."

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Sooooo, let us pause and rewind a bit to make a very important correction per @casutton96 's request. The car pictured here, the one he previously thought was a Rossion, has been bugging him because he wasn't sure. Much like his dad is with airplanes, Chandler doesn't like to not know his stuff about cars. Yesterday he came to me with a plethora of info. This car:

Is not a Rossion. It's a Factory Five GTM. Factory Five produces various kit-type cars. Their GTM model is considered a "supercar" and, when tested by Car & Driver in 2007, proved faster from 0-60 than some pretty big boys such as Porsche Carrera GT, Lamborghini Murcielago, and Ferrari Enzo. In fact, here is a video of THIS exact SAME car. The license plates match. It's the same car.

I was asked to edit and make corrections. Done.

This ends our useless car lesson for today. You may proceed as usual.... :happy:

stillgoofy

I love meeting up with friends both new & old! When in September are you going???? Tracey & I booked air back out at the end of the month to celebrate our belated anniversary but we're somewhat on the fence whether to switch it over to a cruise. It's hard to beat that laid-back cruise vibe!

Killer sprinklers! I swear!

We spotted photographers around a good bit. The Photopass+ gives you all your on-ride pics so that's a big perk. Also, if you do one of the character meals that does pics like Goofy's Kitchen you'll get those pics, too. I haven't even looked at the stock photos. I have no clue what's even there. I wouldn't rely on them entirely. One good thing is if you do the preorder they send the stock photo cd when they send your little certificate with the code. You'll have it before your trip. You can look at it before you go and see what's there so you'll know what pics you might not want to bother seeking.

"

We will be there 9/8-9/15 after our Alaskan cruise. I am so excited but at the same time nervous because I'm a DL newbie. Trying to cram in all the good info.
Good tip about looking at the stock photos ahead of time. I think we will go ahead and do this. Mousesavers has a great deal on pre-purchase of the Photopass.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
You can't get rid of your stuffies, some day you will have little grandbabies running around and just think how excited they will be when you haul all of those out :) Best.Nan.EVER.

Mater the Greater is from another spin off movie of Cars called Mater's Tall Tales which is a collection of short films - it's kinda cute. I only know because of a little person in our house who has watched it numerous times :)

LOVE your honesty, that is what makes these reports so great. Really enjoying this one, awesome job, Kelly !!!

I missed responding to you, Angie!

Oh I dunno. I think I'd have more fun buying new stuffies for grandbabies someday. Maybe I'll start with the Build-a-Bear's and see how I feel from there.

Okay. I think I may have seen some of this Mater's Tales. Either way, it's adorable!

Thank you! I value honesty in what I read. I find a story far more believable when it isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I get critiqued by @obrienIII (notice you don't see much of him on here nowadays??? That's 'cause he works TOO MUCH then FUSSES at other fellows who work TOO MUCH. <--had to slip some little sister love in somewhere) for my honesty sometimes. He says, "Why did you put that in your report? People don't want to hear that." I would. I want all the dirty details! LOL!

Thanks for reading along with me. I swear I'm gonna get back to it and finish. I just gotta get my brain back into the task and make it happen.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Sorry for the delay, friends. Hopefully either later or tomorrow I'll get moving with the last few days. Had to pause a bit as we celebrated my hunny's birthday properly. ;)

I'm glad you took a break, so I could catch up!!!

That ice-cream bar looked incredible. Your photos are all gorgeous, and what fun you all had with WDWMagic friends! A little dis-harmony is normal in a family trip! It won't be the thing most remembered, though, or it will be remembered with a laugh.

The sprinkler story is hilarious. I can just picture it. :hilarious:

Oh, and please someone explain to me about the goat with the dynamite and Ashley's BBQ-ready goat. :)

Last edited:

popsicletrees

I'm loving your trip report! I remember you stating on Instagram how hot it was, and I'm with you, I would have had big ol' pity panties on. I hate, hate, hate being hot.

I've only been to Disneyland twice, and the last time it was super crowded and we didn't have much time. As I'm reading through your report I keep remembering all of the things that we didn't do on that trip. It makes me want to plan another trip out there but far away from any Santa Ana winds.

I always love reading your trip reports and seeing all of the cool things your family does when it comes to vacationing and thinking about how I hope I'm able to do those same things with my kids. While I had a good upbringing and was able to travel (to WDW) a lot, it is so different when you have to pay for it yourself. I really appreciate that you always include stories from several years back and the struggles your family went through to get where you are today. It really does show that hard work and perseverance will pay off!

And Tracey, what a sweetheart! So thoughtful of you to make sure those ladies got back to their resort safely.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I always love reading your trip reports and seeing all of the cool things your family does when it comes to vacationing and thinking about how I hope I'm able to do those same things with my kids. While I had a good upbringing and was able to travel (to WDW) a lot, it is so different when you have to pay for it yourself. I really appreciate that you always include stories from several years back and the struggles your family went through to get where you are today. It really does show that hard work and perseverance will pay off!

And Tracey, what a sweetheart! So thoughtful of you to make sure those ladies got back to their resort safely.

Y'know, Rachel, that's so true. I'm really glad you put that out there.

I think lots of people have an attitude that either "other people are so lucky" or that "it comes easy to some people" or "I want what I feel I'm entitled to", and our girl Kelly just lays it out and shows that it's not lucky, or easy, and if you work for what you want, that's what gets you entitled to it. That explains why she's beloved around here, and I am proud to call her friend. :inlove:

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I'm glad you took a break, so I could catch up!!!

That ice-cream bar looked incredible. Your photos are all gorgeous, and what fun you all had with WDWMagic friends! A little dis-harmony is normal in a family trip! It won't be the thing most remembered, though, or it will be remembered with a laugh.

The sprinkler story is hilarious. I can just picture it. :hilarious:

Oh, and please someone explain to me about the goat with the dynamite and Ashley's BBQ-ready goat. :)

Well I'm glad my break has gotten ya all caught up. Yay!

The custom ice cream bars at Clarabelle's are soooo yummy. There's not a ton of options but there's enough to make plenty of decedant treats to mix things up over a week easily.

Thanks for the kind words about my pictures. I still haven't convinced myself to learn real editing so I do the short-route and run JPEGs quickly thru iPhoto. Only a few adjustments and I'm onto the next picture. It's like a turn-n-burn process. The total time ends up being not-short but I push thru a LOT of pics during that time.

I *LOVE* fun with my WDWMagic friends! I think the guys got a little taste of what it's like when I'm away with y'all. Have I mentioned how much I'm looking forward to September?!

Remembered with a laugh is generally how we recall our worst drama moments. It's not something that comes up frequently but when it does someone is going to get poked at for acting all dramatic. As Chandler said when he was just a little guy, "I guess we were playing the jerk game and it was his turn to be the jerk." :hilarious: Kids are awesome for the funny stuff they say. Remind me in September to tell you the story about when I told Chandler about the birds-n-the-bees. :p Then when I told Brian! :p:p Hilarious!

Chandler says had there been any wild critter in the landscaping he would've been dead because apparently we were all willing to sacrifice him. :D Attack of the killer sprinklers! Totally legit. :happy:

The BBQ'ing goat! I soooo wanna tell you but it's kinda @derelicte19 & @TiggerLuv18 's story to tell so I don't wanna kill it for them. Hilarious, tho! I'm sure Darolyn will tell it at some point. We're still totally having fun with that one. And "Five Guys is BETTER!!!" :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

DisneyFreakEst1994

I just started following along with this AMAZING TR!!!

Your family reminds me so much of my family. My sister and I are huge dorks, and our parents tend to join in on the fun too haha.

I'm also dying to one day go to DLR :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom