GM Out, Cars In?

Bug715

I think Toyota or Honda would be a good choice to replace GM. They both have hybrids so that could be worked into the post show. The problem with using American made companies is they are loosing so much money right now. I believe Honda hasn't seen any losses (profit losses) but I know that Toyota just saw some losses for the last quarter but that is nothing compared to american companies. Both companies are known for good cars.

DisneyPrincess5

Agh I love Disney movies but Cars just doesn't belong at Test Track or Epcot for that matter...it's just not the place for characters galore, although Nemo is tollerable.

One great feature of Epcot is that you're not bombarded with characters at every ride and I hope they keep it that way.

Putting Cars in for Test Track would be a disaster. Pixar is fine, but it does not belong in future world.

GM is in pretty big financial trouble, so I wouldnt be surprised if they left. However...Toyota isnt doing too well right now either (none of the car companys are). I would be surprised if they found a new sponsor at all

GothMickey

Putting Cars in for Test Track would be a disaster. Pixar is fine, but it does not belong in future world.

GM is in pretty big financial trouble, so I wouldnt be surprised if they left. However...Toyota isnt doing too well right now either (none of the car companys are). I would be surprised if they found a new sponsor at all

You are right in saying Cars does not belong in Future World. Keep Cars in Pixar Place at DHS. Get a new sponsor for TT. Hopefully, the new sponsor would have some decent creative input and TT can be updated. It is a fine attraction, just a tad dated now.

WishIwasThere

Horizons = Googol to 1
Cars = 500 to 1
Toyota, or similar = 5 to 1
Operating as a stale shell of an attraction without a sponsor = even

My odds.

I agree with those odds. If I recall correctly, the usual sponsorship was for ten year contracts at $1M a year (at least that is how it was for UTC and the living seas). I can see Honda (less likely due to DL) or Toyota taking over, but does Toyota have anything they sponsor over at Tokyo Disney?

I think the lack of sponsorship is a problem with the sponsor bieng able to see return on investment by having their name on a Disney attraction. Does having HP sponsor Mission Space make you want to buy an HP PC over a DELL?

kcnole

My guess is that they'll attempt to get another sponsor and keep the ride basically the same but refreshed for a new sponsor.

If that falls through I bet they leave it like it is (It's too popular to just shut down) and have a fairly lifeless post show. That won't really be a loss as the current post show is one of the worst post shows I've ever seen.

If the idea is for it to become cars I just don't see even the current Disney execs being that clueless. I'd rather they shut down Test Track and build something new in its place and move the test track technology over to DHS to do a cars ride there.

JWG

Epcot is my favorite park, but that will change quickly if it's overrun with characters. I like Epcot because of the Disney experience without Mickey, Mater and friends in my face.

I also hope Cars doesn't make its way to the transportation pavilion as they have their space at DHS now. Though, Nemo doesn't give me great hope that they have that foresight.

I give it 50-50 odds it's rethemed with a character tie-in if GM pulls out and anything is done. Test Track could be at risk, while it's popular it goes down A LOT. The cost to maintain it may be a problem without a sponsor. Either that, or none of the effects will work.

gettingsmaller

I think the lack of sponsorship is a problem with the sponsor bieng able to see return on investment by having their name on a Disney attraction. Does having HP sponsor Mission Space make you want to buy an HP PC over a DELL?

No, BUT there is APPARENTLY something to be said for just having your name out there in the public eye. Do you favor a company because they sponsor a golf tournament or because you see their banner at a baseball game? I don't--at least not CONSCIOUSLY...
I'm not saying that it is easy for a company to justify the cost of a ride sponsorship, but I AM saying that there are many examples of companies just wanting their names to be in the public consciousness. Either it's all a waste, or they do see some value in having their name out there...

hardcard

Just to put some RUMORS out now..

#1. Cars? No...
#2. TT Closing? No... Attractions of great expense and size have gotten both refurbs and full operation for YEARS without a sponsor (see: Everest, Space Mountain, etc)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Epcot is my favorite park, but that will change quickly if it's overrun with characters. I like Epcot because of the Disney experience without Mickey, Mater and friends in my face.

I also hope Cars doesn't make its way to the transportation pavilion as they have their space at DHS now. Though, Nemo doesn't give me great hope that they have that foresight.

I give it 50-50 odds it's rethemed with a character tie-in if GM pulls out and anything is done. Test Track could be at risk, while it's popular it goes down A LOT. The cost to maintain it may be a problem without a sponsor. Either that, or none of the effects will work.
Have you been on it lately? About the only effects that consistently work are the hot and cold rooms. Aside from those two it is an absolute crap shoot if such minor effects like audio and video will last for your entire ride if they work at all.

In TT's current run down, dirty barely working state I would welcome any change to this pavilion. Quite honestly I am all for taking a wrecking ball to this pavilion and starting from scratch. Don't get me wrong, TT is a great attraction when it is working correctly and all the effects are in place but right now it is nothing more that a barely running 76 Chevette with no A/C and a broken radio. It will get you from A to B but that is about it.

I would rather see someone like Toyota, Honda or Dodge make the pavilion work but if it takes Pixar to make an attraction that operates with at least 95% of the effects working at all times so be it. The story will be the critical park. If Mater and Lightning deliver a good story about either the development and/or history of the automobile then I am good with it. I just want a working attraction that is not only fun to ride but educational as well.

hwdelien

Does having HP sponsor Mission Space make you want to buy an HP PC over a DELL?

It's not an advertisement, it's about branding. Just the fact that you know the HP name is all they're after. So when you're walking through the WalMart's of the world and see all the different brands, at least you'll be able to say you've heard of them, even if you don't remember where.

sknydave

Have you been on it lately? About the only effects that consistently work are the hot and cold rooms. Aside from those two it is an absolute crap shoot if such minor effects like audio and video will last for your entire ride if they work at all.

In TT's current run down, dirty barely working state I would welcome any change to this pavilion. Quite honestly I am all for taking a wrecking ball to this pavilion and starting from scratch. Don't get me wrong, TT is a great attraction when it is working correctly and all the effects are in place but right now it is nothing more that a barely running 76 Chevette with no A/C and a broken radio. It will get you from A to B but that is about it.

I would rather see someone like Toyota, Honda or Dodge make the pavilion work but if it takes Pixar to make an attraction that operates with at least 95% of the effects working at all times so be it. The story will be the critical park. If Mater and Lightning deliver a good story about either the development and/or history of the automobile then I am good with it. I just want a working attraction that is not only fun to ride but educational as well.

So what you're saying is that the current GM sponsor is a perfect fit since TT breaks down often

gustaftp

What should happen is a big rehab to Test Track regardless, as the look and feel of the pre-show and main show are looking a bit dated now. The 90's are over.
That area only really needs a minor one. It doesn't look overly 90s.

Not as 90s as Ellen DeGeneres in her pant suit, talking on her brick phone ("big piece of corn, right in the teeth!"), playing Jeopardy two sets ago (not even the sushi bar set!) with Alex Trebek who still had a moustache.

UoE needs much more attention than Test Track.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
hmm... seeing that last months sales reports have listed Kia and Hyundai as the only profitable car companies, I'm thinking that's the only sponsorship option at this point.

Subaru's profitable as well, but their parent company (Toyota) overall lost money, so that's not likely.

hardcard

I disagree about the various effects being broken.. Over the last 2-3 months TT has gotten a lot of late-night TLC, the 'collapsing cone' effect is back.. The 'exterior audio' (tv monitor step-by-steps) is fixed, as have been several other things... Even the 'see your photo before you get out of the car, monitor' has been fixed.. it was broken for the better part of 5 months.. Maybe this is a case of Disney knowing the sponsorship was coming to an end, so they milked a few 'fix it now bucks' out of GM's contract before it expired.. But either way, TT is better off now than it was 6 months ago..

And this is looking at the ride from the guest point of view, who knows whats been done that we can't see

bhg469

The Orlando Sentinel says they are trying to get Toyota.

But people already think EPCOT is boring! :)

Actually what I am saying is that if I was GM I would be embarrassed to have my name associated with TT in its current state.

Well you would be but this is GM! They turned the GTO into a bloated cavalier. GM is the guy that bragged that he was bringing a hot chick to the prom and showed up with his less than attractive cousin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom