GM Out, Cars In?

fosse76

You people put too much faith in sponsorship. A sponsor does not make or break an attraction. So they remove the GM logos from Test Track. It doesn't change the attraction. At all. The average guest may assume that this is how most cars are made...even if a little technologically behind. So WHAT? It's a theme park ride. It's not real! Who cares. Disney has played fast and loose with factual information for decades. So what if this attraction is a little behind the times. You people b*** and moan everytime a so-called classic is updated or altered, so what makes this one different? The fact that it wasn't in the park when the park first opened?

Now that I've ranted, I don't think a sponsorship is important. The pre-show was developed with GM, but in reality can just be passed off generically. I personally don't like the extreme Disneyfication of EPCOT. It's obviously being done to make the park more kid-friendly cosmetically, but really it is unecessary. What's next? Themeing Mission: Space to Muppets in Space? Re-themeing Test Track to CARS wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But people already think EPCOT is boring! :)

Well you would be but this is GM! They turned the GTO into a bloated cavalier. GM is the guy that bragged that he was bringing a hot chick to the prom and showed up with his less than attractive cousin.
Don't even talk to me about the GTO. I salivated when I heard of its return and contemplated suicide when I saw the prototype at the Gator Nationals.

jt04

Original Poster
Don't even talk to me about the GTO. I salivated when I heard of its return and contemplated suicide when I saw the prototype at the Gator Nationals.

Speaking of prototypes, why no WDW permit updates anymore? No pressure just wondering. :wave:

GothMickey

Speaking of prototypes, why no WDW permit updates anymore? No pressure just wondering. :wave:

Cause all things have been shuttered. You know, to same money. It is better to let infrastructure crumple first, then pay later. :ROFLOL:(joking)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Right now between my office being down to less than a skeleton crew, the rebuild of my mother's house, my mom's jaw surgery and my new job at Kingdom Konsultants I simply do not have the time. Doing the permit updates is not that time consuming if it can be done daily but as soon as I get even 2 or 3 days behind it becomes a major project. I plan to get back on track with it hopefully by the end of the month when my mom's house is finished.

jt04

Original Poster
Right now between my office being down to less than a skeleton crew, the rebuild of my mother's house, my mom's jaw surgery and my new job at Kingdom Konsultants I simply do not have the time. Doing the permit updates is not that time consuming if it can be done daily but as soon as I get even 2 or 3 days behind it becomes a major project. I plan to get back on track with it hopefully by the end of the month when my mom's house is finished.

Wow! So you really are Master Yoda!

Thanks.

gustaftp

MousePlanet includes small ones in their updates:

* Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland Speedway – installation of new queue fans.
* Epcot Refreshment Port – installation of marquee graphics package.
* Disney's Hollywood Studios – installation of special effects tank billboard.
* Downtown Disney World of Disney – painting of exterior of building.
* Contemporary Resort main pool – installation of interactive water feature and landscape improvements.
* Pop Century Resort Classic Hall – replacement of existing floor tile with new tile in lobby guest restrooms.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow! So you really are Master Yoda!

Thanks.
I try. Life in general has been simply crazy since the first of the year for me. Hopefully things will descend back into normalcy once I no longer have my mother living with me and I am no longer spending every spar moment working on her house.

Disney has done a good job of updating the old pavilions in Future World lately, but if they were going to put any more money into the area, I'd hope they'd save it up to rehab Universe of Energy. Test Track seems popular enough that it doesn't need an overhaul. And UoE is now the last attraction waiting for a much needed upgrade.

Actually, restoring/rehabbing WOL is the best thing first for Future World. WS needs some attractions added to the countries that don't and maybe a new country or two. Now would be the cheapest for Disney to do this work for WDW (assuming they could get the financing).

jmvd20

You people put too much faith in sponsorship. A sponsor does not make or break an attraction. So they remove the GM logos from Test Track. It doesn't change the attraction. At all. The average guest may assume that this is how most cars are made...even if a little technologically behind. So WHAT? It's a theme park ride. It's not real! Who cares. Disney has played fast and loose with factual information for decades. So what if this attraction is a little behind the times. You people b*** and moan everytime a so-called classic is updated or altered, so what makes this one different? The fact that it wasn't in the park when the park first opened?

Now that I've ranted, I don't think a sponsorship is important. The pre-show was developed with GM, but in reality can just be passed off generically. I personally don't like the extreme Disneyfication of EPCOT. It's obviously being done to make the park more kid-friendly cosmetically, but really it is unecessary. What's next? Themeing Mission: Space to Muppets in Space? Re-themeing Test Track to CARS wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Sponsorships are important only because Disney has a tendency to abandon sponsor-less attractions. It is almost a death sentence to an EPCOT pavilion when a sponsor pulls out.

aladdin2007

Originally Posted by fosse76

Sponsorships are important only because Disney has a tendency to abandon sponsor-less attractions. It is almost a death sentence to an EPCOT pavilion when a sponsor pulls out.

Very true, and to the first post above you clearly dont understand the basis and foundation Epcot was built on. It was all about sponsorship pavilions and its a spectacular plan it was built on. Yes it has fallen through a bit over the years and is changing but dont forget the history of the park, its what made it different. Great American companies sponsoring once grand pavilions. And theres still alot of sponsorship still ongoing, it would just be nice if the seas and wonders of life would be covered again, and whatever happens with test track. Hopefully Kodak will start to demand a change with Imagination as well.

gus ghost

And this is a costly attraction to run! Don't be shocked when they tear down the pavillion, and turn it into a "Cars" playground!:lol:

jt04

Original Poster
And this is a costly attraction to run! Don't be shocked when they tear down the pavillion, and turn it into a "Cars" playground!:lol:

Actually I think it would mean Carsland being added to DHS. :sohappy:

Let's face it, Test Track was never a real Future World attraction. It was the beginning of a failed attempt to change the Epcot Center's original vision. I would celebrate if Disney decided to gut it and give us a real pavilion that focused on futuristic transportation technologies. This is a great opportunity for Toyota as they are much more broadly focused and cutting edge than Chevy.

GothMickey

Actually I think it would mean Carsland being added to DHS. :sohappy:

Let's face it, Test Track was never a real Future World attraction. It was the beginning of a failed attempt to change the Epcot Center's original vision. I would celebrate if Disney decided to gut it and give us a real pavilion that focused on futuristic transportation technologies. This is a great opportunity for Toyota as they are much more broadly focused and cutting edge than Chevy.

The original Epcot vision is long gone and not coming back. Future World is no longer about "the future." They should just rename it Discoveryland or Discovery World.

jt04

Original Poster
The original Epcot vision is long gone and not coming back. Future World is no longer about "the future." They should just rename it Discoveryland or Discovery World.

SSE and it's post show says otherwise. Keep the faith.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Did you ever get to drive it? It was a sleeper, and on a performance level, put the competition to shame.

The G8 is what the GTO should've been

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom