GM and Test Track

Astro_Digital

I have to laugh at the Chevy Volt.

Remember there were perfectly good Electric Cars years ago and GM went out of its way to make sure all of them were crushed.

So now people forget.

miles1

In an interesting development, GM today announced it is canceling its multi-million dollar endorsement deal with Tiger Woods. Although GM claims that it was an amicable split and this isn't a result of its current difficulties, it seems pretty obvious that GM realized they're wasting a lot of money having him endorse a line of cars marketed to corpses (Buick).

If GM would divorce themselves from Tiger Woods after 7 years, can Test Track be far behind? And, if the government does bail them out and take a stake in the company, would the Washington crowd understand the marketing value of Test Track?

Stay tuned.

Disneyson 1

Hmm... berry berry iiieeentresting... I'm sure TT will come out just fine. It's one of the only things that fanboys are going for right now. Well... SM does NOT count!

Enigma

Account Suspended
GM is the worst automobile manufactur in the world I hope they go out of business. Tesla on the other hand is an awsome REAL american company I hope they sponsor a new age World of Motion/Test Track hybrid!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Only 85 k sign me up!
Try 109K
GM is the worst automobile manufactur in the world I hope they go out of business. Tesla on the other hand is an awsome REAL american company I hope they sponsor a new age World of Motion/Test Track hybrid!

Please consider the people who are living on a fixed income depending upon their retirement checks from GM.

Lexxweb

"Are you seeing a change in lateral forces?" -- "Sure Am!"

I don't get why TT is such a big deal either, it's a fun ride but certainly not worth the waits it's hit over the past couple years. I've been able to ride it more often now that we're in the "off season".
I think it feels weird to be at a 'GM Testing Facility' at this point in time. I'm not sure how the themeing of the place settles with the rest of the guests, but who saw this coming? Not me. Not at all.

:cool: Lexxweb

epcotWSC

I do test track because it's fun and I like to go on most or all of the rides when I'm at WDW. However, if it was changed or replaced (preferably by something as or more thrilling), then I wouldn't care. It's not something like Splash Mountain where if they changed or replaced any part of it, I'd be upset. It's also not one of those rides that I get very excited for in advance.

Lance

GM is the worst automobile manufactur in the world I hope they go out of business.

I have to disagree... Ford is far worse! But, I hope both go out of business...

Its the UAW's fault as much as its the bigwigs fault!

Shame on them for making the same crappy 13 mile a gallon heaps of metal...

But, my President will save them all... which I don't like... but eh...

I'll never buy American automobiles again, so I'm doing my part!!!

PREMiERdrum

Well, this is a very ignorant response. You say "Ford is far worse."
Is this the Ford that has more top safety pics than any other auto maker?
http://www.freep.com/article/20081124/BUSINESS01/311240002/1014/BUSINESS01
Or the Ford that has quality on-par with Honda and Toyota?
http://www.freep.com/article/20081123/BUSINESS01/811230406/1014/BUSINESS01
Or the Ford who's new 2010 Fusion Hybrid which has Fuel Economy that is 6mpg better than the Toyota Camry Hybrid?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/22/automobiles/autoshow/ford-fusion.html?em

And do you know why Detroit made 13mpg SUVs? Because people wanted them. When gas was $0.99 a gallon, automakers couldn't make enough trucks and SUVs.

I admit that GM and Chrysler, especially, have not done much to improve their own situations, but please take a moment to educate yourself before making such harsh statements.

DisneyMusician2

It has nothing to do with the quality of the product. I'm just tired of the rich mismanaging their companies and then looking to the government to get them off the hook at the expense of the American taxpayer. When the budgets are cutting my job, can I petition the government to bail me out?

palmage

C'mon, don't sugar coat it......
Tell us what you really think.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
20070514-toyota-logo.jpg

Umm yeah... they aint selling cars right now either... so.

miles1

And do you know why Detroit made 13mpg SUVs? Because people wanted them. When gas was $0.99 a gallon, automakers couldn't make enough trucks and SUVs.

I admit that GM and Chrysler, especially, have not done much to improve their own situations, but please take a moment to educate yourself before making such harsh statements.

Amen.

As little as 4 or 5 years ago, the Ford Explorer was one of the best selling vehicles in the country. At the same time, Toyota was offering rebates on the Prius because it couldn't move them off the lots. Go drive around and see how many 3 to 10 year old SUV's you see on the road compared to subcompacts. Detroit built big SUV's because that's what people would buy. Even Toyota and Nissan were rushing huge trucks and SUV's to market.

In a way we've all helped Detriot into their current mess. We all ran out and bought huge gas guzzlers in the interest of "safety", even though it would have been much more effective to simply stay off the darned cell phone while driving. If Detroit had concentrated on small, high mileage cars, they would have gone broke five years ago.

The Japanese and European manufactuers have been able to quickly offer smaller, high mileage cars because they already design those cars for their home market. When gas prices went through the roof over the last 2 years, those designs were already on the shelf or in production elsewhere. It takes time to design and test a car. Is anyone here old enough to remember Detroit's earlier attempts to rush new designs to market before they're ready? Need I mention the Chevy Vega, Ford Pinto, or the "X" cars?

As far as the cars themselves, they are heavy and less durable because that's what we've demanded. In order to improve crash safety and handle increased horsepower, the bodies must be built stronger. If you want six airbags for safety, you're adding another few hundred pounds. Clean air laws have added emission controls that reduce mileage, and forced the car makers to use less-durable paints on the cars. In order to compensate for the increased weight, many parts are now made of lighter, but less durable plastics.

At the same time, our Walmart mentality caused us to demand that car prices stay cheap. Instead of paying an extra couple of thousand for a durable car and keeping it for 8 to 10 years like our parents did, we wanted a new car every 2 or 3 years to keep up with the Joneses. However, the domestic makers were saddled with higher salaries and benefit costs than the import companies. (How dare American workers expect a living wage and health insurance!) In order to price the cars competitively, the money had to come out of the cost of the materials in the car, which reduces durability. This also accounts for the past absence of expensive technology in domestic cars that would increased efficiency, like DOHC engines and six speed transmissions.

In the end, you get what you pay for. If you think that domestic cars all stink, you need to at least glance at the mirror.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom