GM and Test Track

MousDad

My money is on #4: GM continues operating as a company (whether under bankruptcy protection, government oversight, or bailout money), advertising and marketing is not affected, and TT goes on as normal.

montyz81

Good analysis.

I think this would be a good time to retool the ride and either change up the existing ride with new special effects and better theming and a new "storyline" from a new sponsor or start over from scratch and create a new ride themed to the future of alternative energy cars or something more akin to the original world of motion.

The ball is in WDW managements hands but they have proven to be totally incompetent so it will be curious how this all goes down.

Bring back World of Motion... (naw just kidding, although it wouldn't bother me). I think this is an easy fix. Most of what needs to be replaced is the Cars and signage. This is a 4 week changeover at most!

EpcotMark

It was stupid to theme this ride the way they did. There is NOTHING forward thinking about it. Sure there is safety that is emphasized in the ride, but we are always thinking about that. They need to theme this ride having to do with the FUTURE of transportation including hybrid cars, electric, etc. After all, the ride runs on electricity! So let's theme it as an electric car ride, and have Honda pick up the sponsorship.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was stupid to theme this ride the way they did.....So let's theme it as an electric car ride, and have Honda pick up the sponsorship
Maybe - but GM put up the money so they had the say. Honda? Nah, The just pulled out of F1 today - 1000 more redundancies in the UK.

fosse76

so do they have any kind of contract with disney? I'm sure Disney isn't dumb enough to set it up where GM can just stop sponsorship the attraction whenever they want.

How do the sponsorship contracts work?

Bankruptcy voids ALL contracts and makes them unenforceable, so Disney would have very few options. At most they could petition the bankruptcy judge to allow GM to adhere to the contract, but ultimately the judge and judge alone will make the decision as to whether or not the Company can continue with that sponsorship expense.

miles1

Maybe Toyota or Honda will pick up Test Track. After all, they may get the corporation too.

I wouldn't bet on this. First, both of those companies have now seen sales drop over 30%, too. Second, if the domestic companies go down, it will make it more costly for them (the imprort brands) to produce cars here in the US as well, since many of the suppliers they use will go under too. (less volume and competition=increased costs). Last, if the three domestics go under, consumers will have to buy one of the remaining import brands. Why spend extra millions advertising to captive buyers?

I shudder to think what will happen to the price of new cars if Detriot doesn't make it.

devoy1701

It was stupid to theme this ride the way they did. There is NOTHING forward thinking about it. Sure there is safety that is emphasized in the ride, but we are always thinking about that. They need to theme this ride having to do with the FUTURE of transportation including hybrid cars, electric, etc. After all, the ride runs on electricity! So let's theme it as an electric car ride, and have Honda pick up the sponsorship.

Hybrid and electric cars IMO are not cool... first of all, they have way less power than my V6 and cannot go VROOOM without making the engine sound sick...second...they look like a normal car...

it's 2008 (almost 2009) anyway...someone promised me Flying cars...where are the flying cars...they better feature these flying cars in any refit of the attraction that is supposed to be "futuristic". :D

wvdisneyfamily

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

You are posting the best things today!:lol:

Thank you.

hopefully, the whole thing will get a pixar retheme.

Who wouldn't want that?

It's a fool proof plan

Just kidding guys.:hurl:

:fork:

I have to disagree... Ford is far worse! But, I hope both go out of business...
Its the UAW's fault as much as its the bigwigs fault!

Shame on them for making the same crappy 13 mile a gallon heaps of metal...

But, my President will save them all... which I don't like... but eh...

I'll never buy American automobiles again, so I'm doing my part!!!

Um...does this mean my two Ford car payments will be null and void? I need someone to bail me out from underneath my truck and SUV payments. Sigh. The price you pay for living in areas with bad roads that require 4WD.

Perhaps it can be "Journey into a Hybrid Car!"

........:brick::brick::brick:

Ugh...:lol:

epcotWSC

Personally, I think that Rock 'n' Rollercoaster makes Test Track look like a terrible ride. I compare TT to RnR because they're both "car" rides with "high speeds." RnR does flips and goes from 0-60 in a ridiculous speed and is in the dark. TT just puts you through some boring stuff at the beginning then goes fast around a loop.

TT needs to be completely redone IMO. Get rid of the beginning, make it more like you're testing out some futuristic hydrogen, solar, electric, something, car. Just make the shell of the car look more futuristic, the other part is just storyline.

Make it start off really fast, have tight turns at high speeds, sudden stops, fast acceleration, avoiding obsticals, things like that. That would at least make it much more fun. Make it reckless like it's pushing the car's limits. That's what I would think of what I'd think of a test track. The way it is now is like driving a convertable on the highway. It's fun because you're not in control of the vehicle and it's a little jerky, but otherwise, not much difference. Doing something like what I said is not something people are going to do everyday in their car.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Make it start off really fast, have tight turns at high speeds, sudden stops, fast acceleration, avoiding obsticals, things like that.
Ummm... that`d involve rebuilding the track and ride system. Not something that`d be done with little or no sponsor.

Enigma

Account Suspended
I wouldn't bet on this. First, both of those companies have now seen sales drop over 30%, too. Second, if the domestic companies go down, it will make it more costly for them (the imprort brands) to produce cars here in the US as well, since many of the suppliers they use will go under too. (less volume and competition=increased costs). Last, if the three domestics go under, consumers will have to buy one of the remaining import brands. Why spend extra millions advertising to captive buyers?

I shudder to think what will happen to the price of new cars if Detriot doesn't make it.

Prices will stay the same as competition gets more furious among the superior japanese, european, and other asian car manufacturers.

GM and Ford will probably get bought out by a foriegn auto company and they will use some of their classic designs like the Camaro in new cars but delete all the little useless divisions like Volvo.

Toyota and Honda may see sales decline but they are nowhere near of going bankrupt since they both have very sucessful high end environmentally friendly cars such at the Toyota Prius.

PREMiERdrum

Prices will stay the same as competition gets more furious among the superior japanese, european, and other asian car manufacturers.

GM and Ford will probably get bought out by a foriegn auto company and they will use some of their classic designs like the Camaro in new cars but delete all the little useless divisions like Volvo.

I'm not going to rant like I did a few pages back, but you are horribly uneducated on the issue. See:
http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/b...ports-rates-ford-and-japanese-brands-highest/

http://www.autoobserver.com/2007/06/jd-power-ford-is-a-winner.html

http://www.freep.com/article/20081124/BUSINESS01/311240002

Of the "Big 3", Chrysler is the one which is in the most danger, as they are 100% privately owned and in the most trouble. GM isn't in great shape, and very poorly managed, but I don't think they will be allowed to fail. Ford is doing just fine, and their proposal to congress CLEARLY states that they need $0 cash, just a line of credit to be used ONLY if the other two fold and take their suppliers with them.

And...
Toyota and Honda may see sales decline but they are nowhere near of going bankrupt since they both have very sucessful high end environmentally friendly cars such at the Toyota Prius

You mean like th Escape Hybrid, with the highest MPG of any SUV?

Or the new Fusion Hybrid, which is said to best the Camry Hybrid by "several" MPG?

Captain Hank

So, where does this leave WDW? The GM sponsorship is completely intertwined with the attraction, from the preshow to the post show; it's not like they can instantly remove it like they did with SSE. The only scenarios I can envision are the following:

1. Test Track continues to operate as-is, giving GM free advertising (albeit dated) to hundreds of thousands of people per year, or plugging a company that possibly no longer exists.

2. Another sponsor is found quickly, but this would require a long shut down for an unanticipated refurb,

3. The entire pavilion shuts down after the Christmas rush, and remains so indefinitely.

Which do you think it will be?
Test Track would be harder than most attractions to de-theme from sponsorship, but not impossible. Signs would be easy enough to take down, and those that can't could probably be covered up with decals (like the "test data" signs in the queue and any GM decals on the cars themselves). They'd have to remove the GM patches from the costumes, but, again, not too hard to do. I think the hardest would be the pre-show video, though there could probably be some creative editing done to remove GM references. It's also possible, though unlikely, that they recorded an alternate, generic take of the video just in case this sort of situation arose. The post-show could be done a-la Global Neighborhood post-AT&T (walls). Not pretty, but cheap and effective. With the right preparation, I could see most of this happening within a week's time if necessary.

Keep in mind that the transitions from If You Had Wings to If You Could Fly and Delta Dreamflight to Take Flight happened very quickly, and IMO these sponsors were even more intertwined with their respective attractions.

"NEW YORK (AP)—General Motors Corp. won’t be the automotive sponsor for the New York Yankees when the team’s new stadium opens next year.

Yankees chief operating officer Lonn Trost said Tuesday that Toyota and Audi will take over as the club’s auto sponsors. The new deals are for ballpark signage, as was the previous contract with GM.

General Motors was a Yankees sponsor from 2006-08.

“We understand their financial condition,” Trost said. “I think it was a mutual understanding.”

GM spokesman John McDonald said that in light of the current economic conditions, the automaker is reviewing all of its sponsorship activities as part of a plan to cut its marketing and promotions budget by 20 percent."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...slug=ap-yankees-autosponsor&prov=ap&type=lgns

Not looking good...

TP2000

Yeah, GM is toast. They are circling the drain as I type. :eek:

I would think Toyota or Honda would make better sponsors in a park that is supposed to be about the future. Toyota and Honda both have a lot more fuel efficient and modern technology than the Detroit companies. Toyota has the Prius, of course, as well as other hybrid models in other current lines, and their expanded lineup of Prius sedans and coupes coming next year and beyond. And Honda is already selling the Clarity hydrogen powered fuel cell car to regular Americans here in SoCal. Yup, hydrogen powered cars are already here on SoCal freeways emitting nothing but water vapor, compliments of the genius minds at Honda.

If Detroit really does have electric and hydrogen powered cars available to consumers now like the Prius and the Clarity, they do a lousy job of letting people know. All I saw at the LA Auto Show this year from them were giant new trucks and big muscle cars with V8 engines. Honda and Toyota had amazing future energy displays as a contrast.

GM is just such an old 20th century company with old technology, I just don't think they have a place anymore sponsoring something in "Future World".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom