GM and Test Track

DisneyparkFreak

Original Poster
So with GM on the verge of being bankrupt what does this mean to Test Track??? Disney and GM need each other to keep this pavilion open don't they. Disney doesn't like to fund these things by themselves.

I wonder if anyone has thought of this???

EPCOT Explorer

How long before GM pulls their sponorship of TT? Reports I've read have GM running out of cash early next year.

:lookaroun

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/2008/11/end-of-road.html

Test+Track+-+World+of+Motion.JPG

GM.jpg

Sometimes, change isn't planned, it's simply the only option.

Such may be the case EPCOT soon finds itself facing given the imminent collapse of GM. While Capitol Hill and Wall Street debate whether GM will really go away or get bailed out by the government, it's clear that GM is in deep, deep trouble. And, just as certain, a marketing initiative like GM's sponsorship of Test Track will soon seem like an unnecessary luxury.

GM was one of EPCOT Center's original sponsors, putting its money, name and ideas behind the World of Motion pavilion.

While Disney has never made public the details of its sponsorships, though GM's website indicates that the latest contract was signed in 1994 and actually expired in 2007. Now that GM and Disney have reached the 21st century together, maybe it's the end of the road?

Will Test Track go the way of the 100,000-square-foot ghost town that used to be Wonders of Life, which mostly serves as a reminder of Disney's lack of vision for and attention to EPCOT?

Will it be razed completely so that Test Track, like Horizons, Cranium Command, Body Wars and the World of Motion before it, becomes just a memory?

Will Test Track continue to operate without a sponsor, which likely means without a real post-show, so that the pavilion becomes just an even more meaningless thrill ride, one that lacks any theme or purpose?

Will Disney act decisively to find a new sponsor, one who could bring some much-needed innovation and ingenuity to what is now a 10-year-old attraction (not much younger than World of Motion was when it was shuttered)?

Most tantalizingly, might Disney use this opportunity to stay true to the theme of transportation, but go in a bold new direction, perhaps securing a sponsor that could showcase what the future holds, not just explore the present?

Two things are almost foregone conclusions: GM won't be the sponsor much longer, and Detroit doesn't hold the keys to the future of the pavilion.

Time will tell just what it will be.

EPCOT Central hopes only that it will be something ... and something good.

hpyhnt 1000

Personally, I'm all for an end to GMs sponsorship, as long as a new sponsor comes in to show us what the future of transportation holds, instead of showing us what we already know. Test Track has been fun, but I really would like to see something new.

EPCOT Explorer

Personally, I'm all for an end to GMs sponsorship, as long as a new sponsor comes in to show us what the future of transportation holds, instead of showing us what we already know. Test Track has been fun, but I really would like to see something new.
Fun to be Free?;)

Yes, our world has indeed become a World of Motion. We have engineered marvels that take us swiftly over land and sea, through the air, and into space itself. And still bolder and better ideas are yet to come. Ideas that will fulfill our age old dream to be free. Free in mind. Free in spirit. Free to follow the distant star of our ancestors to a brighter tomorrow.

EPCOT Center...You had all the answers.:eek:

hpyhnt 1000

Fun to be Free?;)

Yes, our world has indeed become a World of Motion. We have engineered marvels that take us swiftly over land and sea, through the air, and into space itself. And still bolder and better ideas are yet to come. Ideas that will fulfill our age old dream to be free. Free in mind. Free in spirit. Free to follow the distant star of our ancestors to a brighter tomorrow.

EPCOT Center...You had all the answers.:eek:

:lol: Great! Now the song's stuck in my head.

daguru

With the GM sponsorship in jeopardy because of the economy, other car manufacturers (mainly US based) are in serious financial trouble, and the overall US and internation economic situation being as it is I doubt anyone would be willing to step up and take over sponsorship of the pavilion.

I don't see anyone being able to take over the pavilion, let alone any wholesale changes... Even the number one auto manufacturer in the world, Toyota, has had a lag in sales recently....

If the GM sponsorship does end, I think Disney would end up just leaving the attraction alone for now. And I don't think Disney would do much to it either, with their economic issues and so many other things already in the pipe (even with the rumors of other plans already being dropped or postponed), I don't see them putting hardly any money into the pavilion.

DisneyPirate85

Its YUGO!
ONLY it'll be the wagon version...The WE'allgo...:ROFLOL:

No seriously I would agree it'll be left the same for awhile but SOMEBODY will come on board IF GM falters. We have all seen the crowds after the ride, looking at the new models, Forien or Domestic its good advertisement. And the ride does see more foot traffic then any car lot!:wave:

WDW1974

While I'm usually viewed as a glass half-empty kind of spirit, I wouldn't count out GM as either a company (most importantly) or as a sponsor just yet.

The government isn't going to let GM go under, any more than it did all of the Wall Street banks and investment firms (that should have been allowed to cease to exist).

Also, Disney has a major sponsorship deal with Honda (which isn't going anywhere either) and they have been talked about as taking over TT, long before GM's straits became so dire.

Of course, I don't overly care about the future of TT since I am a WoM lover myself and, while I enjoy TT don't understand why it is as popular as it is.

EPCOT Explorer

While I'm usually viewed as a glass half-empty kind of spirit, I wouldn't count out GM as either a company (most importantly) or as a sponsor just yet.

The government isn't going to let GM go under, any more than it did all of the Wall Street banks and investment firms (that should have been allowed to cease to exist).

Also, Disney has a major sponsorship deal with Honda (which isn't going anywhere either) and they have been talked about as taking over TT, long before GM's straits became so dire.

Of course, I don't overly care about the future of TT since I am a WoM lover myself and, while I enjoy TT don't understand why it is as popular as it is.
*has never been on TT*

It's either been...

-under refurb
-Out of FP's
-Broken down

So I have only seen the post show and WoM.:D

WDW1974

*has never been on TT*

It's either been...

-under refurb
-Out of FP's
-Broken down

So I have only seen the post show and WoM.:D

Shocking!!!

I can't say you're missing a great attraction. You can get more of a thrill driving in a convertible down I-95 with the top down.

That said, on 12/31/99 at 11:30 p.m. I got to 'drive' with some very interesting spirits while imbibing spirits (a bottle of champagne).

Can you believe Disney would allow (on the way to) drunk driving?:lookaroun

Now if only Chrysler would sponser the attraction. We could ride in nice, classy Sebring Convertibles.

It'll be interesting to see who, if anyone at all, is willing to dish out the money to sponsor the attraction. With all the trouble the ride system has seen, is it even worth the trouble? If some other car company does take over, do you think it would be American-owned or some foreign company?

EPCOT Explorer

Shocking!!!

I can't say you're missing a great attraction. You can get more of a thrill driving in a convertible down I-95 with the top down.

That said, on 12/31/99 at 11:30 p.m. I got to 'drive' with some very interesting spirits while imbibing spirits (a bottle of champagne).

Can you believe Disney would allow (on the way to) drunk driving?:lookaroun
Shocking!!:lol:

Always a reason for a next trip.;)

Hot4Hudgens

Sheesh. When it rains, it pours. I don't mind Test Track. It is a little dull at parts and without sponsorship, would be pretty pointless. I do enjoy those last 20 seconds though. Can't the entire ride just be like that?

Figment1986

Sheesh. When it rains, it pours. I don't mind Test Track. It is a little dull at parts and without sponsorship, would be pretty pointless. I do enjoy those last 20 seconds though. Can't the entire ride just be like that?

well... if they redress it and turn the interior into a giant construction zone... then it could be called I4: The Ride! :lookaroun.

the post show could be the preview center for the next construction project florida has planned for the I4 corridor;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom