Girl Hospitalised After Riding TOT!!!

caparamedic

Last report I got was she was flow to Florida Hospital Orlando and coded several times in the operating room. One of the worse bleeds they ever saw. Her condition is grave. That was at 11:00 pm Tuesday.

Tinkerbell08

omg

i heard about it this morning TOT is my fave ride. will it be open in 8 or 11 days...... im going 2 wdw in 8days n i love that ride. i hope the girl is ok. :cry:

dixiegirl

now let the questions begin from those who don't go to disney like us disneynuts..yo know the typical and i say typical because of what happened with mission space...the "wow did you hear what happened at disneyworld"?,,"did you ever ride that ride that , that girl got hurt on?" i like when people tottally screw up on what they heard....like " did you hear a girl had a heart attack on the mansion ride?" i know i'm not the only one today that people ( those nondisney nuts..like us) that will ask moronic questions...

Tinkerbell08

hi

dixiegirl said:
now let the questions begin from those who don't go to disney like us disneynuts..yo know the typical and i say typical because of what happened with mission space...the "wow did you hear what happened at disneyworld"?,,"did you ever ride that ride that , that girl got hurt on?" i like when people tottally screw up on what they heard....like " did you hear a girl had a heart attack on the mansion ride?" i know i'm not the only one today that people ( those nondisney nuts..like us) that will ask moronic questions...

yea......ok...explain i dont get ya lol. im only14. hv u not been 2 wdw b. ive been 8times n i love tot. is it closed? whats happening

MKCustodial

Well, this is on the paper down here this morning. It says she suffered cardiac arrest after riding ToT, got ressurected at the park and then sent to the hospital. She had to have a neurosurgeon present and they're not saying what kind of illness she has. But this time, as opposed to the MS incident (at least down here), they're making sure to say that the attraction has all kinds of warnings up front about people not riding with certain conditions. So this time they're actually reporting it instead of blaming Disney.

tigsmom

MKCustodial said:
Well, this is on the paper down here this morning. It says she suffered cardiac arrest after riding ToT, got ressurected at the park and then sent to the hospital. She had to have a neurosurgeon present and they're not saying what kind of illness she has. But this time, as opposed to the MS incident (at least down here), they're making sure to say that the attraction has all kinds of warnings up front about people not riding with certain conditions. So this time they're actually reporting it instead of blaming Disney.

They don't have all the facts quite right. She arrested in the ambulance, on the way top the hospital, not the park . Here is the latest from today's Orlando Sentinel:

Teen critical after Terror ride

The British visitor to Disney-MGM went into cardiac arrest. State ride inspectors were called in.

By Willoughby Mariano and Jerry W. Jackson
Sentinel Staff Writers

July 13, 2005

A British teenager suffered cardiac arrest after she rode Twilight Zone Tower of Terror on Tuesday, leaving her in critical condition and prompting Disney to close the ride and call in state inspectors.

Leanne Deacon, 16, exited the Disney-MGM Studios thrill ride at 9:50 a.m., shaking and light-headed, and soon afterward lost consciousness. By the time she arrived in an ambulance at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, her heart had stopped beating, Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons said.

Emergency workers revived the teen from Kibworth, England, and she underwent surgery, Solomons said. She was transferred by helicopter to Florida Hospital Orlando late Tuesday for specialized treatment, said Samantha O'Lenick, a spokeswoman for the Florida Hospital system. She did not release further details.

Reached by O'Lenick on Tuesday night, the girl's family declined to comment.

Tuesday's incident comes less than a month after a 4-year-old boy from Pennsylvania collapsed on Epcot's Mission: Space ride June 13. The boy, Daudi Bamuwamye, later died.

Officials found no indication of mechanical malfunction on Mission: Space, and the ride reopened the next morning. Autopsy results are pending.

An initial investigation by Orange County sheriff's investigators found no sign that Tower of Terror malfunctioned Tuesday. The Florida Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection will monitor further ride-safety inspections.

Leanne complained she had a headache and was light-headed just as she and her mother were exiting the attraction, four oversized elevators that spring and plunge through giant elevator shafts. They returned to sit on a bench inside an air-conditioned room, Solomons said.

Disney employees noticed the sick teen and asked if she needed help. She declined, but an employee called Reedy Creek Fire Rescue anyway, Solomons said.

Leanne's condition worsened as time passed. A caller told an emergency dispatcher the teen was so weak she clung to her mother for support, according to a recording released by an official for the Reedy Creek Improvement District, Disney's governmental arm.

"She's very shaky. She's holding on to her mother. I'd given her some water, but she hadn't drank any yet," the caller told dispatchers. Reedy Creek officials did not release the name of the caller.

Paramedics arrived at 9:57 a.m.. When Orange County deputies arrived less than five minutes later, they called for homicide investigators. They thought Leanne was so ill she might die, prompting a death investigation, Solomons said.

On the way to the hospital, Deacon's heart stopped. Medical personnel worked to start it. They rushed her into the care of a neurosurgeon, Solomons said.

Disney officials shut down the Tower of Terror for the investigation, and the state bureau of ride inspections dispatched two senior managers to Disney at the company's request, said Terry McElroy, a spokesman for the State Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection. They will review Disney safety procedures.

Officials will determine whether to reopen Tower of Terror today.

"We just want to run it through the paces and test it to make sure it's completely operational," Walt Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said.

This isn't the first time a medical emergency has prompted investigators to scrutinize the Tower of Terror.

The ride, which opened in 1994, simulates five minutes in an elevator gone haywire. Passengers ride in an elevator car that shoots up toward the top of a tower, then plunges back to earth in drops as steep as 13 stories. The tower is the second-highest point on Disney property.

In September 1998, one of the elevator ride cars malfunctioned, and seven people were treated at hospitals for back and neck pain.

An inspection by Reedy Creek found that two of three bolts that guide the elevator cables broke, allowing the car to drop one floor before an emergency brake stopped the descent.

Park workers replaced all of the bolts on the attraction's four elevator cars. The incident showed that the emergency braking system worked as designed, inspectors said.

A 1999 redesign increased the number of major and minor drops from three to seven. It also added a bit more "air time," letting riders experience weightlessness for a longer period.

The state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection received three reports of medical problems involving Tower of Terror riders during the past three years. The most recent was in May 2004, when a 62 year-old man complained of chest pains shortly after riding Tower of Terror.

In June 2003, a 45-year-old woman complained of chest pains. In June 2002, a 47-year-old woman said that anxiety from claustrophobia caused an irregular heartbeat, according to state records.

Disney and other parks with 1,000 or more employees are not required by state law to open their rides to state inspectors. The state's 15 ride inspectors focus instead on Florida's 155 smaller amusement parks and more than 222 traveling amusement companies that set up at fairs, carnivals and festivals.

These major theme parks signed an agreement with the state to voluntarily report ride incidents serious enough to require a hospital visit, and to sign off on annual inspections provided by on-staff or contract engineers and inspectors.

While Disney officials did not invite state inspectors to check out Mission: Space after Daudi's death, they have done so after other past accidents, Warren said.

The last instance company representatives could recall calling in the state was in November 2000, when a 37-year-old man climbed out of a Splash Mountain boat and died when he was struck by other boats.

tigsmom

Tinkerbell08 said:
So is TOT open still? it does have warning signs. its my fave ride. if its closed im gonna cry so much honnestly. im going in 8days

Officials will decide today whether or not to re open the ToT.

Gucci65

TIGSMOM - thanks for the update. I was so busy yesterday that I did'nt hear about this until this morning on GMA.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this girl & her family.

testtracker

WDWKat26 said:
But the main point is, is that she was being treated for a PRE-EXISTING medical condition. The boy who died on M:S had no reason that anyone knew of. This sounds like something that was aggrivated by the ride.

I thought that the family neighbor said he was born with some type of heart condition when his was born? Very sorry for the family

tigsmom

testtracker said:
I thought that the family neighbor said he was born with some type of heart condition when his was born? Very sorry for the family

This is true. Thats what the neighbors told the media.

My daughter had a heart condition when she was born. It was corrected when she was three. She is "healed" or "cured" and if (God forbid) something like this should happen, it would not be considered a pre existing condition because it no longer exists.

Does that make sense?

conntom

I fill sorry for the girl but there are warning not to go on this ride
if you have a bad back or heart. Poeple don't read the warning.
If the family new she had a bad heart she should not have been
on that ride. If the didn't know that is sad. But I do hope that she
will be ok.

tigsmom

conntom said:
I fill sorry for the girl but there are warning not to go on this ride
if you have a bad back or heart. Poeple don't read the warning.
If the family new she had a bad heart she should not have been
on that ride. If the didn't know that is sad. But I do hope that she
will be ok.

She did not have a bad heart. She had a cerebral bleed. That caused her heart to stop. You do not know if & when something like that will happen.

tigsmom

Tinkerbell08 said:
Anyone, any news? :(

From the Sentinel website:

Disney reopens Tower of Terror after girl's collapse

By Jerry W. Jackson
Sentinel Staff Writer

July 13, 2005, 10:51 AM EDT

Walt Disney World reopened the Tower of Terror ride at Disney-MGM studios this morning, one day after a British teenager suffered cardiac arrest following a visit to the attraction.

Disney said engineers and ride system experts completed an inspection overnight, under monitoring by an inspector from the Florida Department of Agriculture Bureau of Fair Rides and Exhibitions and found it to be operating properly.

In addition, Disney said in a statement, The Orange County Sheriff's Office also reviewed the incident and found no indication of a ride malfunction.

The teenager, Leanne Deacon, 16, remains in critical condition at Florida Hospital Orlando this morning. Deacon exited the thrill ride at 9:50 a.m. yesterday, shaking and light-headed, and soon lost consciousness. By the time she arrived in an ambulance at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, her heart had stopped beating, Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons said.

At the Tower of Terror attraction this morning, there were long lines of people waiting to ride.

"It's awesome. I would ride it again," said Derenda Davilla, a chaperone for a Lubbock, Texas church group, who hadn't heard about yesterday's incident.

"It's not too scary. It's a fun ride," said Nick Watts, 41, another chaperone. The group of 13 included teens from 13-18 years old in age.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom