Girl Hospitalised After Riding TOT!!!

Slipknot

Hope everything turns out for the better for the girl and her family.

I found this opinion at the South Florida Sun-Sentinel website while checking to see if they had any other info besides what the AP already has put out. PS. This isn't my opinion just something I found:

Disneyworld has more visitors per year than most metropolitan airports. Yet nobody bats an eye if someone gets hurt in the concourse. Forgetting the intensity of the rides, it's just amazing that Disney has so few incidents considering the number of patrons they serve each year.

maxime29

Premium Member
Unfortunately, the news IS going to blast Disney in order to get viewers to read/watch their material. I'm hoping people can see beyond the fluff that will be presented.

Other than that, prayers go out to the family.

WDWCP

wannabeBelle said:
In times of crisis among my family & friends we pray for each other to show our love, support, and faith in something larger than ourselves. It is a source of comfort to the family as well as a way of showing respect. Belle

Very well stated, Belle!

KaliSplash

To repeat my rant from the earlier incident:

News is what is unusual. It is unusual when there is a serious injury or death at a theme park. This is why the news media seizes upon it. We don't report when planes don't crash. It is also 'worse' when more than one incident happens at the same location. This increases the news value of the story.

As is pointed out several times above, this will taint Disney for this family forever. Because WDW sets the bar higher than anyone else, it is 'worse' when something happens there. (We all know that it is not worse, hurt is hurt and dead is dead no matter where it happens, but because of WDW's higher standards, it's a bigger deal when something happens there.)

Again, it appears unlikely there was a ride malfunction, although there is no word yet on seat belt performance in this incident.

But yes, because of the earlier incident and because we still don't have an official cause of death on the earlier incident, this one is going to get a rough ride in the media.

imagineer boy

Oy! This is just aweful for Disney. Yet another ride death. I know it isn't Disney's fault, but once again, the media is going to make it look like Disney's fault. :mad:

But my prayers are with the family of the girl.

Fun2BFree

Oh..It's happened again! Another ride death! They say any publicity is good publicity, but this? I feel sorry for the girl's family..

Connor002

ok, to spare the boards from another 40 page thread :brick::snore: :p :hurl: :hammer:

this is what basicly everyone has said

• thoughts and prayers with she and the family
  • media is going to blow it out of proportion
  • unfortunate incident
  • probally just a coinincidence
  • hope for speedy recovery (though, it dosen't seem anyone knows for sure weather she has passed away or not)
  • bla,bla,bla, heartfelt and meaningful bla, bla
i do this not to seem in any way rude, i hope things work out all right, i only want to spare people from reading 40 pages of basicly the same things being said

P.S.- anyone who has somthing new to say i welcome with open arms

-connor

TimonRulz

That's sad. :cry:

What is odd to me is the 77-year old woman that they say died on POTC. Weird. Was there a thread somewhere that had the story on that?

Tom

Beta Return
Connor002 said:
ok, to spare the boards from another 40 page thread :brick::snore: :p :hurl: :hammer:

this is what basicly everyone has said

• thoughts and prayers with she and the family
  • media is going to blow it out of proportion
  • unfortunate incident
  • probally just a coinincidence
  • hope for speedy recovery (though, it dosen't seem anyone knows for sure weather she has passed away or not)
  • bla,bla,bla, heartfelt and meaningful bla, bla
i do this not to seem in any way rude, i hope things work out all right, i only want to spare people from reading 40 pages of basicly the same things being said

P.S.- anyone who has somthing new to say i welcome with open arms

-connor

Wow, you beat me to it!!! If I hadn't been reading all 3 pages (so far) I probably would have done this first.

Yes, we ALLLL know that 99% of the members on this board do not want her to die, and that she and her family are in our prayers, thoughts, etc. Even mine. It's a given - why do we waste so much bandwidth trying to convince ourselves that we care, when we all know we already do.

Yes, we ALLLL want to blame the media for saying Disney is a death trap, even though they haven't really done that. In fact, when I see things about Disney on the news (Fox News) it is more like a 12 second news bit stating the facts....but that could just be Fox News.

Yes, we ALLLL wonder what happened, but by adding post after post asking the same thing: "So, did she die?" "So, does anyone know what happened?" is NOT going to get the answers any faster. Nobody on here knows what happened - and we'll have to wait until the media (yes, the media) reports it.

I can only hope that this thread doesn't turn out like the M:S ones, and that perhaps it will pause until something is actually known.

Sheesh

conntom

This was on wnbc.com
British girl suffers cardiac arrest after riding Tower of Terro
Updated: 5:38 p.m. ET July 12, 2005
MIAMI - A 16-year-old British tourist suffered cardiac arrest Tuesday after riding the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney World in Florida, a month after a 4-year-old boy died after riding another Disney World attraction.

Leeanne Deacon of Kibworth, England, was rushed to a hospital and into surgery after getting off the ride and telling her mother she did not feel well, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said.

She was listed in critical condition at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, near Disney World, said hospital spokeswoman Melanie Trivento, who would not divulge the nature of the ailment due to patient confidentiality rules.

I hope she will be ok

mickeysaver

tigsmom said:
Just a thought here, but did anybody stop to think that maybe she was here on some sort of "Make A Wish" trip? Going to WDW could have been one of her last wishes.

Like I said, just a thought.

I believe that most of those kids are cleared by a doctor as to what kind of stuff they are capable of riding/experiencing. If she wasn't cleared, then it's the parent's poor judgement that is partially at fault. If she was cleared, then the doctor had better call his/her malpractice lawyer now. Maggie

tigsmom

mickeysaver said:
I believe that most of those kids are cleared by a doctor as to what kind of stuff they are capable of riding/experiencing. If she wasn't cleared, then it's the parent's poor judgement that is partially at fault. If she was cleared, then the doctor had better call his/her malpractice lawyer now. Maggie

These people are usually very sick. Medical clearance or not things do happen. I am not being callous, but having been a nurse and caring for many dying people I do know that they do not follow any timetable. Somebody given 3 months can live for years while somebody not determined to be critical can die suddenly.

And pointing fingers is just bad practice, she had a pre existing condition- nobody is to blame.

tigsmom

conntom said:
This was on wnbc.com
British girl suffers cardiac arrest after riding Tower of Terro
Updated: 5:38 p.m. ET July 12, 2005
MIAMI - A 16-year-old British tourist suffered cardiac arrest Tuesday after riding the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney World in Florida, a month after a 4-year-old boy died after riding another Disney World attraction.

Leeanne Deacon of Kibworth, England, was rushed to a hospital and into surgery after getting off the ride and telling her mother she did not feel well, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said.

She was listed in critical condition at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, near Disney World, said hospital spokeswoman Melanie Trivento, who would not divulge the nature of the ailment due to patient confidentiality rules.

I hope she will be ok

The updated Sentinel article:

UPDATE

Teen hospitalized after riding Tower of Terror

By Willoughby Mariano and Jerry W. Jackson
Sentinel Staff Writers

July 12, 2005, 7:00 PM EDT

A British teen was in critical condition and undergong surgery at Florida Hospital Celebration Health after falling ill this morning at the Twlight Zone Tower of Terror ride at Disney-MGM Studios, authorities said.

Leanne Deacon, 16, of Kibworth, England, was exiting the ride with her mother at 9:50 a.m. when the girl complained she was feeling lightheaded and had a headache. Her mother, noticing the girl was getting more ill, went back inside the attraction to find an air-conditioned spot to sit down, said Orange County Sheriff's office spokesman Jim Solomons.

Disney employees approached the girl and called paramedics because she needed medical attention. Paramedics arrived at 9:57 a.m. to transport her to the hospital. On the way, the teen lost consciousness and heart function, but medical personnel revived her, Solomons said.

Today's incident comes less than a month after a 4-year-old boy from Pennsylvania collapsed on Epcot's Mission: Space ride and later died. The boy, Daudi Bamuwamye, was visiting the park on June 13, and authorities are awaiting results of an autopsy before saying what caused his death.

Walt Disney World released a statement expressing the company's concern for the Deacon family and said it is "working with them to provide whatever assistance they need."

The statement also said the Orange County Sheriff's Office concluded an initial investigation and found no indication of a ride malfunction at the Tower of Terror. The Florida Department of Agriculture Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection has been notified and will monitor the ride safety inspection, the statement said.

Walt Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said Tower of Terror would not reopen tonight and a determination would be made Wednesday morning whether to reopen it after Disney representatives and state inspectors complete their assessment.

"We just want to run it through the paces and test it to make sure it's completely operational," Warren said. An initial check found no indication of a ride malfunction.

Disney and other major parks with 1,000 or more employees are not required by state law to open their rides to state inspectors. The state's 15 ride inspectors focus instead on Florida's 155 smaller amusement parks and more than 222 traveling amusement companies that set up at fairs, carnivals and festivals.

But Disney and other large parks signed an agreement with the state to voluntarily report ride-incidents serious enough to require a hospital visit, and to sign off on annual inspections provided by on-staff or contract engineers and inspectors.

Warren said state inspectors were not asked to check out Mission: Space after the 4-year-old boy's recent death, and it was reopened after Disney engineers declared it safe, but Disney has invited in state inspectors after past accidents. He said the last case that company representatives could recall inviting in state inspectors was in November 2000, when a 37-year-old man climbed out of a Splash Mountain boat and died when he was struck by other boats in the flume ride.

The ride, which opened in 1994, simulates an elevator that goes haywire in an old hotel, shooting toward the top of the tower and then plunging down.

From the time people are seated and secured in the "elevator" the ride lasts about five minutes, about a minute longer than the Mission: Space ride at Epcot.

In September 1998 seven people were treated and released from hospitals after they complained of back and neck pain after one of the elevator ride cars malfunctioned. An inspection at the time by Reedy Creek, Disney's governmental arm, found that two of three bolts that guide the elevator cables broke, allowing the car to drop one floor before an emergency brake stopped the descent.

All of the bolts were replaced on all four elevator cars and inspectors said incident showed that the emergency braking system worked as designed. A redesign in 1999 added different drop sequences, with seven minor and major drops, up from three. The redesign also added a bit more "air time" or the feeling of weightlessness during drops of as much as 13 stories.

Rinxman

Yeah it's unfortunate, but preventable, I don't know. I feel bad for the girl and for Disney because when something like this happens, it's always Disney's fault. Why? I don't know. No one can be blamed and there is no saying it was Disney. There are plenty of warnings throughout the line about the type of thrill ToT is. There is no saying she knew she may have had a condition. It's up in the air.

tigsmom

Rinxman said:
Yeah it's unfortunate, but preventable, I don't know. I feel bad for the girl and for Disney because when something like this happens, it's always Disney's fault. Why? I don't know. No one can be blamed and there is no saying it was Disney. There are plenty of warnings throughout the line about the type of thrill ToT is. There is no saying she knew she may have had a condition. It's up in the air.

From the original Sentinel article:

"The teen lost consciousness and heart function, but medical personnel revived her, Solomons said. She is being evaluated for a prior medical condition, and the ride is being tested for malfunctions."

It seems as if the possibility for a prior condition did exist (at least according to the wording here). There is so much confusion and with confidentiality laws the way they are we may not know the entire truth until the final report comes out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom