Girl’s Cruise on the Disney Wonder! January 4th-8th Tons of Pictures!

Girl’s cruise!!:sohappy:

Who: Me, my mom, my sister-in-law, and my friend from CA

When: January 4th-8th

Why: I got a great deal on the cruise, and my family couldn’t go. Airfare was cheap, so I decided to invite just the girls to get away for a few days.

I’ll start off the report with a thank you to all the husbands who parented (it’s not babysitting when it’s your kids, it’s parenting:D) while we were away. Our hubbies did start calling it the “Suckas cruise” because they were sure they were “suckas!!” for staying home while we sailed off to paradise.

Okay little background – I’ve been on three Disney cruises now. A 7 night, a 5 night, and now a 4 night. We’ve got another 7 nighter scheduled in May!! I’m becoming addicted to cruising. I will never want to stop going to the parks, but cruises are such a wonderful vacation. Disney cruises can cost a little more, but they are worth every penny. Disney knows how to do it right.

Day 1 – January 3rd – Travel Day
This morning I woke up at 7 and headed out the door at 8:15. I flew out of Providence with snow everywhere. I left my coat in the car (no need for it in FL!!) and made the FREEZING walk from the parking garage to the airport. Flight was on time, I settled in for a long day of flights. I flew to Dulles, where I sat for three hours and then Orlando where I met my sil, the first to arrive.

After I got my bags, we went to get our rental car from Budget. The rental agent was insistent that we needed to upgrade our car to an SUV to fit four women and all their luggage. I decided to risk it, and we all ended up fitting quite nicely in the Chevy Impala.

My mom flew in at 6:30 pm, my CA friend was delayed until 9:30, so we drove off in search off an Outback. We came across a Ruby Tuesday’s first, so we ate there. Then we headed back to the airport, filled up the car and headed for Port Canaveral!

We usually stay at the Radisson. They have a great pool, free shuttle, huge Jacuzzi tubs in their suites and free parking. This time I decided to try another one for experience’s sake. I’ve read great things about the Residence Inn and we tried that. It was very nice. It’s all suites (at the Radisson the suites are a little more), the pool looked nice although we didn’t try it, and it included a great hot breakfast. The shuttle isn’t free but we didn’t need it anyway. Parking for the length of the cruise is free there also.
It was late so we just repacked a little and went to sleep. It was dark so I don’t have any pictures. The pictures start tomorrow!!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Next we did a little character stalking. I thought of you Holly and Jenn!:D

We all decided we needed new facebook profile pictures and what better picture then with a character!! Disney prints a schedule for character appearances the next day in the nightly Navigators. You can also call PALS from your stateroom and ask who is going to be out and about that day. We ran into several unscheduled characters roaming around.

GirlsCruisec019.jpg

GirlsCruisec022.jpg

GirlsCruisec041.jpg

GirlsCruisec042.jpg

GirlsCruisec044.jpg

GirlsCruisec047.jpg

We’d been laughing all week at how many people we saw reading the Twilight series. I finished them on my last cruise and loved every bit of them. I talked the girls into trying them and they all had one. Then we started noticing people reading them everywhere on deck. I decided we needed a picture of our reading material. CA friend suggested we ask a bunch of people to come down to deck 4 to take this picture, but while I salivated at the thought of that picture, I didn’t have the guts.:lookaroun

GirlsCruisec028.jpg

GirlsCruisec035.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Tonight was our last restaurant – Animator’s Palate. It is such a fun restaurant. The changing from black and white to color is incredible and pictures could never do it justice but I tried to give you some idea of what it looks like.

Before:

GirlsCruisec054.jpg

GirlsCruisec055.jpg

GirlsCruisec062.jpg

GirlsCruisec065.jpg

GirlsCruisec068.jpg

GirlsCruisec069.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
We said goodbye to our servers and went to the last show of our cruise “Disney Dreams”. We ran into Mickey and Minnie on the way.

GirlsCruisec107_filtered.jpg

GirlsCruisec108.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Disney Dreams is an absolutely wonderful show, I have loved it every time I have seen it. This time I thought Peter Pan did an especially great job.

GirlsCruisec119_filtered.jpg

GirlsCruisec122_filtered.jpg

GirlsCruisec127.jpg

GirlsCruisec131.jpg

GirlsCruisec130.jpg

GirlsCruisec133.jpg

GirlsCruisec141.jpg

GirlsCruisec146.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
After the show, we started the very sad task of packing. We had bought a few things, so we didn’t fit everything back into our suitcases as easily as before, but we made it.

The final party of the cruise is the farewell party. It’s late on the last night and there’s tons of characters and some actors from the shows. The characters come out, disperse throughout the lobby and pose for pictures for a few minutes.

GirlsCruisec160.jpg

Then the characters line up on the stairs and stage to sing and wave goodbye.

GirlsCruisec168.jpg

GirlsCruisec170.jpg

Stitch didn’t want to leave, I totally felt his pain:

GirlsCruisec187.jpg

We went back to the room, put our suitcases out and drifted off to sleep for the last time.

Day 6 – January 8th – Disembarking and trip home:cry:

We woke up at 7:00 and got dressed. We brought our carry-ons up to Beach Blanket Buffet. We ate our last big free meal, and then headed off the ship. Walking off the ship is so much sadder then walking on. Luckily there were no lines, we found our bags right away and sailed through customs.
We caught the shuttle to Avis and got our rental car. We had to drop CA friend at the airport and then we headed to Downtown Disney for a little shopping. It’s the perfect way to finish a vacation.

We had to leave for the airport at 2:30 so we crammed our purchases into our already overflowing suitcases and drove to the airport. We said goodbye to each other and all went to our separate flights.

Final Thoughts:

Can you have a great time on a Disney cruise without kids? Absolutely!

Does the ship feel overrun with kids? Definitely not. We spent a good deal of time in the adult only areas, and we never felt like we couldn’t get away from the kids.

Is a four day cruise too short? No. Of course I’d stay for 7 nights every time if I could, but 4 nights was plenty of time to relax and feel settled in.

That's it, the end! We were sad to go home but a great time was had by all. Can’t wait for the next one!!:sohappy:

Coree

Awesome trip report, Tammy! The pic of Stitch not wanting to leave cracked me up! Have you found me those fantastic discounts yet? :lol:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Awesome trip report, Tammy! The pic of Stitch not wanting to leave cracked me up! Have you found me those fantastic discounts yet? :lol:

He was so funny!! He hid behind the statue until Mickey and Minnie ratted him out!

Well right now there's the kid's sail free and great military discounts! Are you secretly in the military Coree?:D

Laura

Premium Member
OMG you torture me!!! We board the Disney Magic on Saturday and I'm already overflowing with excitement and then I had to go and read your trip report. Now I'm bursting at the seams!

Your pictures were just wonderful. I have that cheap 50 mm (f/1.8) lens and I'm actually on my 2nd one now because I've already broken one, so I can relate to the no zooming in and out thing when you hand it to people. :lol:

So did you use the f/1.4 for most of you pictures? They really are sharp like you said. I haven't invested in the f/1.4 yet because I didn't think it would make that much of a difference going from 1.8 to 1.4, but apparently it does! I know I don't own a lens right now capable of taking some of the great shots you got...like the Animator's Palate pics. Oooh I hope I can get some nice pictures next week. I also just bought a digital underwater camera so I'm looking forward to trying that out snorkeling.

Now I took some notes while I was reading so I could remember things I wanted to comment on... :lookaroun

1. I hadn't heard of the photo ID thing. So do they put your picture on your Key to the World Cards now? Do they do this with the kids too? If so, that would be a cool souvenir.

2. What are the lanyards you guys were wearing? I've read a lot about lanyards, but we've done 2 Disney cruises so far and haven't seen them.

3. Did you have any difficulty moving around your Palo reservation, even being in boarding group 3? We really want to book a Palo brunch, but by the time we booked our cruise there was no availability online. So we're going to try and get in boarding group 2 and run straight to the bar to try for a Palo reservation.

4. I can't believe I've never seen deck 4 before! I'll have to look for it this time!

5. How was the weather? I packed shorts for every day, but also threw in a couple pairs of jeans and some sweaters. Was it warm enough to hang out by the pools and stuff in a swimsuit? When we cruised last November I was shivering and wrapped myself in towels to stay warm and didn't even consider putting on a suit so I'm hoping it will be warmer this time. Was the water at Castaway Cay decent?

6. I have that book "Bringing up Boys"! (I noticed it in one of your Castaway Cay pics)

I think that's all for now. I don't know how I'm ever gonna make it to Saturday without imploding, especially after seeing your pics. :ROFLOL:

Laura

Premium Member
Oooh wait - one more question. :lol:

Can you buy a disk of all your shutters pictures yet (like photopass)? Or do you still have to buy them individually?

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
OMG you torture me!!! We board the Disney Magic on Saturday and I'm already overflowing with excitement and then I had to go and read your trip report. Now I'm bursting at the seams!

Your pictures were just wonderful. I have that cheap 50 mm (f/1.8) lens and I'm actually on my 2nd one now because I've already broken one, so I can relate to the no zooming in and out thing when you hand it to people. :lol:

So did you use the f/1.4 for most of you pictures? They really are sharp like you said. I haven't invested in the f/1.4 yet because I didn't think it would make that much of a difference going from 1.8 to 1.4, but apparently it does! I know I don't own a lens right now capable of taking some of the great shots you got...like the Animator's Palate pics. Oooh I hope I can get some nice pictures next week. I also just bought a digital underwater camera so I'm looking forward to trying that out snorkeling.

Now I took some notes while I was reading so I could remember things I wanted to comment on... :lookaroun

1. I hadn't heard of the photo ID thing. So do they put your picture on your Key to the World Cards now? Do they do this with the kids too? If so, that would be a cool souvenir.

2. What are the lanyards you guys were wearing? I've read a lot about lanyards, but we've done 2 Disney cruises so far and haven't seen them.

3. Did you have any difficulty moving around your Palo reservation, even being in boarding group 3? We really want to book a Palo brunch, but by the time we booked our cruise there was no availability online. So we're going to try and get in boarding group 2 and run straight to the bar to try for a Palo reservation.

4. I can't believe I've never seen deck 4 before! I'll have to look for it this time!

5. How was the weather? I packed shorts for every day, but also threw in a couple pairs of jeans and some sweaters. Was it warm enough to hang out by the pools and stuff in a swimsuit? When we cruised last November I was shivering and wrapped myself in towels to stay warm and didn't even consider putting on a suit so I'm hoping it will be warmer this time. Was the water at Castaway Cay decent?

6. I have that book "Bringing up Boys"! (I noticed it in one of your Castaway Cay pics)

I think that's all for now. I don't know how I'm ever gonna make it to Saturday without imploding, especially after seeing your pics. :ROFLOL:

You leave Saturday!! Wow, now I'm jealous!! :)

Your pictures are always wonderful Laura I'm sure they will be this time too! I'm glad someone knew what I was talking about with the prime lens issues!:lol:

I was sad to lose my 1.8, but I didn't replace it because I want the 1.4. I'm not sure the 1.8 to 1.4 makes as much of a difference as does the quality of the lens. I did take just about every picture with it. I think the only time I took it off was for the shows when I put on my 85mm.

I really wish I had invested in an underwater digital camera. Next time I think I will have to. Let me know how you like yours!

Okay here's the answers.
1. It was literally the first day for the photo id. The line scared me but it went really fast. They don't put the photos on your cards, but everytime they scan your cards (to buy something, to get on and off the ship, etc.) your photo came up on the screen.

2. They gave us the lanyards when we checked in. They are for Castaway Club members so you should definitely get some this time. If you don't get that or your other Castaway Club gifts, call guest services. They are so handy for keeping your room key in!

3. We had no problem changing our Palo night. We went straight to change it after boarding. If you are in one of the first groups it shouldn't be a problem at all. So many people don't board till later in the day. When you are dropping off your luggage one person can take id's for both adults and go on in the terminal and check in. That helps you get in an earlier group. Just make sure that you leave the adults still helping with baggage a photo id, because they need one to get in the terminal.

4. Deck 4 is awesome! It's a great place to read, watch people walk by and on our previous cruises the kids loved playing shuffleboard there.:)

5. The weather was amazing. I've been on a cruise the first week of February before and it was chilly until we were out of Florida. This time it was warm everywhere. I put on a cardigan every night for dinner because the restaurants are cool, but I felt great the rest of the time. Even if the weather is cool in Florida, it should definitely be great once you go south. The water was cold at Castaway Cay and Nassau, but we got used to it very quickly and stayed in for long periods of time.

6. That is a great book!! We like all of Dobson's books. CA friend has twin one year old boys so she was soaking it all up!

You are going to have so much fun!!!:sohappy::sohappy:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Oooh wait - one more question. :lol:

Can you buy a disk of all your shutters pictures yet (like photopass)? Or do you still have to buy them individually?

I will never get tired of talking about it so ask away!!:lol:

You still have to buy your shutters pictures individually or in packages.

They have started swiping your key to the world card when they take most photos and they set up kiosks where you can view your photos on screens near shutters, but you can't order a disk of them.

They still print them all too! I bought 3 that I couldn't resist. I always want the boarding photo and there's no real way to take one of your own without someone not being in it.

I wish they would sell disks!! I hope they're moving towards that!

mouselvrmom

What a great trip! I love all of your pictures! They are beautiful! You do such a nice job!

And I'm so proud of you for your character stalking! I'm glad to hear you thought of me on your trip. :D With the characters there it makes the idea of a cruise more appealing to me. :lol:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
What a great trip! I love all of your pictures! They are beautiful! You do such a nice job!

And I'm so proud of you for your character stalking! I'm glad to hear you thought of me on your trip. :D With the characters there it makes the idea of a cruise more appealing to me. :lol:

Tons of characters Jenn!! Are you sold?:D

Laura

Premium Member
Man I really want an f/1.4 now. The clarity and color is awesome. I guess I'll save it for the next cruise. I've bought enough for this one already. :lol: For the record, the underwater digital camera I bought was just over $200 if you wanted one for your next trip. The cheapest camera I've ever bought! I will post pictures when I get back and hopefully they come out good. I just wanted something better than those $10 disposable ones and I hate developing film after a trip.

That's neat about the ID cards. Then no one can steal your key and make charges!

I can't believe they never gave us lanyards. We got all the gifts in the room but never got lanyards. I'm gonna make sure we get some this time. :lol:

It sounds like they keep some Palo spots open for people who want to book upon arrival. And seeing as you were in group 3 and still had availability I guess I won't have a heart attack if we don't arrive at port precisely at 10 a.m. :lol:

Man shuffleboard and everything on deck 4. How have we never noticed this? :lol:

That's stupid about shutters. Sounds kind of pointless. I don't know WHY they don't just do a photopass system!

And YAYYYYY for good weather! I was so worried it was gonna be freezing up on the top deck again. I really want to be able to lay out on a chair and be comfortable this time.

Thanks for answering all my questions. Feel free to talk your head off about anything you can think of to tell me. I'm SO in the mood to hear about it. :lol:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Man I really want an f/1.4 now. The clarity and color is awesome. I guess I'll save it for the next cruise. I've bought enough for this one already. :lol: For the record, the underwater digital camera I bought was just over $200 if you wanted one for your next trip. The cheapest camera I've ever bought! I will post pictures when I get back and hopefully they come out good. I just wanted something better than those $10 disposable ones and I hate developing film after a trip.

That's neat about the ID cards. Then no one can steal your key and make charges!

I can't believe they never gave us lanyards. We got all the gifts in the room but never got lanyards. I'm gonna make sure we get some this time. :lol:

It sounds like they keep some Palo spots open for people who want to book upon arrival. And seeing as you were in group 3 and still had availability I guess I won't have a heart attack if we don't arrive at port precisely at 10 a.m. :lol:

Man shuffleboard and everything on deck 4. How have we never noticed this? :lol:

That's stupid about shutters. Sounds kind of pointless. I don't know WHY they don't just do a photopass system!

And YAYYYYY for good weather! I was so worried it was gonna be freezing up on the top deck again. I really want to be able to lay out on a chair and be comfortable this time.

Thanks for answering all my questions. Feel free to talk your head off about anything you can think of to tell me. I'm SO in the mood to hear about it. :lol:

I totally know what you mean about buying things for cruises! This one was short notice and I didn't have time to buy much, but I'm already looking for my May cruise!

Please do let me know about the underwater camera. I hate those stupid disposable ones too. I've been looking at a $300 one so $200 would be great!

They definitely save Palo's reservations for boarding. We've made reservations there three cruises in a row now after we boarded.

I'm still obsessive about getting there as early as possible though.:lookaroun It just about killed me that they were all inside checking in while I had to take back the rental car!:lol:

You never even saw the shuffleboard?! Man you were missing out!:lol:

I don't know how long they've been giving out the lanyards but they were in September. They are so handy!

I wish desperately wish they would go to photopass, but when I see the lines to buy pictures and the piles people buy, I understand their hesitation!:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom