GF DVC Site Plan?

COProgressFan

I know I'm late to this conversation but this will have a huge impact on the wedding pavilion despite what some might say. The setting plays a huge part in it's appeal, not just the castle view. A 5 story building looming so close will destroy that. It's sad and I think they are going to have a hard time selling weddings not just during construction but afterward as well.

Tom

Beta Return
I know I'm late to this conversation but this will have a huge impact on the wedding pavilion despite what some might say. The setting plays a huge part in it's appeal, not just the castle view. A 5 story building looming so close will destroy that. It's sad and I think they are going to have a hard time selling weddings not just during construction but afterward as well.

They will have absolutely no problem selling weddings, after construction. There is a waiting list to get married there. If Bride A doesn't like the building next door, Bride B-Z will be happy to take her day!

During construction....there will be some seriously upset brides.

Mr.Skunkape

As a DVC member I like any new DVC resort as it gives us more options on resorts that we can use our points at. Does anyone think that Disney will ever build another deluxe resort that is not a DVC resort, I think the only resorts that disney will build will be DVC or value only

828tnt

This is my question, too - when is the Poly getting DVC? And moreso, where will it go, given the location of the GFV?

Sorry to those of you that are not DVC fans, but once Poly villas go up, I'll be on the phone with my rep to add on there ASAP. Location, location, location...

we will be adding more too- at least somewhere on the monorail loop. it's too nice to pass up imo.

here's which resorts that aren't dvc yet:
fort wilderness- rumored
poly- rumored previously
pop
all star
port orleans
coronado springs

i'm not sure pop or all star will ever really be considered for dvc since they're more value friendly. but i could honestly see each of the others being considered at some point. :shrug:

We too would buy in if they ever add DVC to the Poly. But, there are several reasons why I don't think it will happen.

First, as you mentioned, there really isn't any space to put another building. It they built one, it would have to go where the luau building is now, with even more beach/shore expansion than the GF is requiring.

The alternative is to convert an existing longhouse into a DVC building. But history has shown this to be unsuccessful and unappealing (i.e. Jambo). Not to mention the fact that the Poly never has problems filling its rooms, so why sell a building off to another division of the company?

It's still a pipe dream of mine.

Yeah, I was nosing around on google maps and such, and while I am NO way a map wiz like many of you here (kudos to you all that are!), I can't see a feasible spot at all where a Poly DVC would work. And with 2 DVC locations on the monorail, a third would possibly not be necessary. Or...would the demand be so wildly popular that they'd find a way to make the third happen?

Yes, clearly not giving up hope on this dream either :)

Tom

Beta Return
Yeah, I was nosing around on google maps and such, and while I am NO way a map wiz like many of you here (kudos to you all that are!), I can't see a feasible spot at all where a Poly DVC would work. And with 2 DVC locations on the monorail, a third would possibly not be necessary. Or...would the demand be so wildly popular that they'd find a way to make the third happen?

Yes, clearly not giving up hope on this dream either :)

Maybe everyone will win and they'll eventually build the Mediterranean Resort between TTC and Contemporary, making it half deluxe/half DVC from the ground up.

828tnt

Maybe everyone will win and they'll eventually build the Mediterranean Resort between TTC and Contemporary, making it half deluxe/half DVC from the ground up.

on that note, maybe something that those who are against this should keep in mind; there were originally plans for several more resorts around bay lake. i could be mistaken, but i believe originally 6 were planned. correct me if i'm wrong- could have been 5....

SeaCastle

on that note, maybe something that those who are against this should keep in mind; there were originally plans for several more resorts around bay lake. i could be mistaken, but i believe originally 6 were planned. correct me if i'm wrong- could have been 5....

Martin's probably the defacto person to go for this...but let's see...you got the Asian where the Grand Floridian was supposed to be, the Poly (when it was considerably taller), Tempo Bay, The Venetian on the plot north of the TTC (later re-designed as the Mediterranean), the Persian where the present-day Boneyard is, Cypress Point close to where the Wilderness Lodge is, and of course Fort Wilderness.

Yes please. :D

STGRhost

They will have absolutely no problem selling weddings, after construction. There is a waiting list to get married there. If Bride A doesn't like the building next door, Bride B-Z will be happy to take her day!

Unfortunately, my experience with DFW proves this point to be exactly right. I have never been less happy with any service received by Disney than I was with the way my wedding was handled. They don't go "above and beyond" on the weddings because they don't have to, and it shows. I can't imagine that a bride that has a problem with the construction or location of this new facility will hear anything back from them other than a hearty "Oh, sorry about that". Because, again, they'll have NO problem giving the time slot to someone else. So, while it may affect the area aesthetically, DFW probably won't be impacted to the point where they'll really care either way.

Tom

Beta Return
Unfortunately, my experience with DFW proves this point to be exactly right. I have never been less happy with any service received by Disney than I was with the way my wedding was handled. They don't go "above and beyond" on the weddings because they don't have to, and it shows. I can't imagine that a bride that has a problem with the construction or location of this new facility will hear anything back from them other than a hearty "Oh, sorry about that". Because, again, they'll have NO problem giving the time slot to someone else. So, while it may affect the area aesthetically, DFW probably won't be impacted to the point where they'll really care either way.

An unfortunate problem that arises when demand far exceeds supply.

eilie

Here's an interesting tidbit from the Geotechnical Report submitted with the permit documents:

"The building will be six to seven stories tall (T-shaped) with construction being concrete columns and post tensioned slabs. The building will extend into Seven Seas Lagoon. A small portion of the lagoon is to be reclaimed to accommodate the facility."

In other words, now we know the height range of the building. It would appear that Disney is still making a final determination as to whether it will be 6 or 7 stories, which in either case is taller than the main GF building. Views of the MK should be possible from those upper floors.

WDW1974

It really is amazing how Disney keeps adding to The Timeshare Kingdom of the World, all the while allowing its parks to wallow in abject staleness year after year.

I guess when it comes to DVC, most people are buying in for the pxie dust because the parks sure aren't getting the attention they did back in the 70s-90s when DVC either didn't exist or wasn't a significant part of the resort.

I'm sure in 2023 when Disney is still showing MSEP-1972, Captain Eo, RoE, Ghetto Fantasmic (2-3 nights a week, tops), all those DVCers will be thrilled to be part of Disney's Best Kept Secret.

But I bet a good 75% of the people here think it's either a great thing or at least not a bad one to keep adding ... after all, when Old Man Disney talked about having 'the blessing of size' for his FLA project, you all damn well know he was planning a giant vacation points/timeshare resort.

Truly MAGICal.

Monorail Lime

Seven stories is outrageous! This eyesore will not only dwarf the existing GF buildings but it will be visible from much of the Polynesian resort area as well. Ruining the atmosphere of two beloved flagship resorts seems criminally short-sighted.

orky8

A long while back, someone around here posted very impressive mock-ups they created of potential GF and Poly DVC locations. I've searched and can't seem to find them. In their mock-ups, the GF was located north of the current facility, though, but I am curious if anyone remembers what I am talking about and knows where to find them.

If the Poly or Mediterranean DVC is ever built, I am writing a check very shortly thereafter.

Monorail Lime

The cleared area with trailers and other constructiony-stuff in the spot designated "proposed pond" is somewhat recent. Are they already prepping for DVC work or is it unrelated?

jt04

Here's an interesting tidbit from the Geotechnical Report submitted with the permit documents:

"The building will be six to seven stories tall (T-shaped) with construction being concrete columns and post tensioned slabs. The building will extend into Seven Seas Lagoon. A small portion of the lagoon is to be reclaimed to accommodate the facility."

In other words, now we know the height range of the building. It would appear that Disney is still making a final determination as to whether it will be 6 or 7 stories, which in either case is taller than the main GF building. Views of the MK should be possible from those upper floors.

That would be nice. As soon as I heard about this I figured this new structure would be taller. They do this in Vegas all the time and if the structure is themed correctly it looks as good or even better than what was there before.

I look forward to the day when the SSL is surrounded by such additions to the MK resorts. While at the same time I hope Bay Lake keeps the old school Florida aesthetics. I love the contrast that this creates beyween the two 'lakes'.

Sounds like the new DVC might have a dedicated dockside shuttle between it and other points around the SSL and possibly FWL and FW and possibly even the new Four Seasons. I'd guess the boat would be on the more upscale side. :king:

This project has win written all over it! :)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As a DVC member, I like adding DVC wings to main resorts. I just would like them done tastefully, and in a non-intrusive way. It is hard to tell just based on the plans we have seen wether or not this building will wind up being a blight, or a welcome addition to the shoreline. Time will tell I suppose. I stand behind the idea though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom