GF DVC Site Plan?

Pioneer Hall

It wasn't simply walk past. That beach wasn't someone you ever had to walk by. People chose to stroll there, relax, and enjoy some serenity and seclusion in the middle of the bustling Seven Seas Lagoon area. It wasn't like people just walked by and looked at it. It was an escape and a huge part of what made the GF's atmosphere so special to me. I get that the resort is no longer called the Grand Floridian Beach Resort. Still, to me replacing that beach with an oversized building (whether it matches the existing architecture or not) takes away a lot of the intangible value of GF and the Wedding Pavilion.

While your opinion seems to differ from mine, please don't tell me that my opinion isn't legit. Yes, there will still be a beach as shown in the concept art (although the shore directly in front of the building appears to consist of rocks). No, that beach doesn't have the serenity or impressive scale of the previous long stretch of beach. I was excited about the idea of a GF expansion until I saw where the building was being placed. I'm simply not okay with it.

From what I have been reading here, more people liked the atmosphere but didn't seem to really use it. Also, I have stayed in that resort area a number of times and really can't say that I ever witnessed an overabundance of people using the area. Perhaps the extension of the beach and a new area of the resort will get people out in that beach area again since it certainly isn't being taken away completely.

And the beach will not really even be lost. According to the site plan the beach will be extended. I doubt that it will be as deep but the actual length of the shoreline will increase. About the only legit complaint about expansion might be its effects on the wedding pavilion and even that is yet to be determined. I have very little doubt that this effect will be near zero considering they would loose out on the boat loads of cash the wedding pavilion generates.

I would be willing to put money on the fact that Disney won't lose a dime in regards to the wedding pavilion. They know how lucrative that business is and they know that there are still going to be people lining up years in advance to book the pavilion.

How do you know this? It has not even been built yet.

And this is all I am saying. We have already determined that the beach and wedding pavilion are ruined before the project is 3 ft off the ground. I think that these villas are going to be the most popular addition to the DVC lineup at WDW since the Beach Club, and the large majority of people will be happy to have it where it is.

DonaldDoleWhip

From what I have been reading here, more people liked the atmosphere but didn't seem to really use it. Also, I have stayed in that resort area a number of times and really can't say that I ever witnessed an overabundance of people using the area. Perhaps the extension of the beach and a new area of the resort will get people out in that beach area again since it certainly isn't being taken away completely.
That's exactly the point - it wasn't used often at all. That's why it was serene and felt secluded and I enjoyed it so much. I don't want another building there - I don't want more strollers and visitors in that area. The Seven Seas Lagoon is losing a part of it that was special because it was so peaceful and out of the way. It might be selfish, but I still think Disney could've expanded north of the existing resort and developed a larger GF DVC area (on a bigger scale like Kidani Village), which would've given them even more DVC units and allowed the beach (and intimacy of the Wedding Pavilion) to remain intact.

And this is all I am saying. We have already determined that the beach and wedding pavilion are ruined before the project is 3 ft off the ground. I think that these villas are going to be the most popular addition to the DVC lineup at WDW since the Beach Club, and the large majority of people will be happy to have it where it is.
To be fair, it would've been popular regardless of where Disney placed it, as long as it was associated with GF. Beach Club Villas is in a pretty bad location - it doesn't even have lake views, but people love it. VWL is also slapped on and doesn't have great views (although at least the woods views are thematically appropriate). And from the map, it looks like the new building might not even have clear Cinderella Castle views (which was a heavily emphasized point in BLT's marketing, yet not even mentioned in the story about GF's DVC wing).

How do you know this? It has not even been built yet.
Since when have people waited for something to be built before forming an opinion? It's rather silly to impose that standard here even though it completely contradicts the speculative nature that fuels this very board. I know GF's layout well. I've spent a lot of time there, and the map had enough info for me to see that I wasn't a fan of this plan. The concept art only enforces my opinion (and the art is supposed to make the building look good). At least when it comes to Avatarland (where we currently have no concept art and a mere patent that might be relevant to a possible attraction), I have an open mind and am looking forward to the prospects of that land even though other people have gone into crisis mode over it. Here, I think I have enough info to form my opinion.

NoChesterHester

I got that, but have we not seen something in art and then it either not look like it when finished. People have been damning this project since the rumor started and it really had nothing to do with the design of the place. It seems the loss of a beach people used to do nothing more than really walk past is what is getting people the most upset.

I'm not attacking the concept. I am not a DVC hater. I for one dont have an issue with the site plan.

I dont get your point necessarily, but plan + concept art gives me a very good idea of what this will be. I have more then enough to form an opinion. My opinion is they did a poor job with the exterior design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom