GF DVC Site Plan?

cbconglom

seems weird no one commented on this besides edward.. insiders? anyone?

"__________: The next DVC Resort scheduled for Walt Disney World is the California Coast Hotel that will be built near Disney's Hollywood Studios"
--http://twitter.com/__________/status/49127199965577216

Based on what little is shown on the site plans, the rooms will face out on both sides of each wing - unlike most of BLT which has a hallway on the inside and rooms only on the outside.

Granted, square footage is square footage - and you can still only fit X number of rooms in a given space. Eilie's numbers make sense.

Just wanted to correct this little tidbit.... BLT has rooms on both sides of the hallway. There are more on the outside of the "C" then on the inside. The inside rooms are rectangular shaped while the outside rooms are contoured to the circular shape of the building (i.e. wider toward the window and narrower toward the door).

Tom

Beta Return
Just wanted to correct this little tidbit.... BLT has rooms on both sides of the hallway. There are more on the outside of the "C" then on the inside. The inside rooms are rectangular shaped while the outside rooms are contoured to the circular shape of the building (i.e. wider toward the window and narrower toward the door).

I said "most" of the rooms are on the outside. Much of the inside of the rooms are confined to the two towers that bump out.

nolatron

When BLT opened, did the Contemporary see a significant impact to the waiting line for the monorail? There, your backup transportation to the MK was the walkway and your two feet.

At the GF though, your backup is a small boat that holds 15 people or so. And if that when you got people lugging strollers on-board.

With the GF being the last resort stop, we always found the monorails full to capacity, usually waiting a monorail or two to find space even for just two of us in the morning. After the 2nd morning we just took the boat the rest of the trip.

I wonder if adding a DVC wing to the GF (and perhaps the Poly in the future) could lead the way to increasing the boat size for the GF/Poly boats.

As much as I like those little guys, I wish they would hold more people sometimes.

lazyboy97o

When BLT opened, did the Comtemporary see a significant impact to the waiting line for the monorail? There, your backup transportation to the MK was the walkway and your two feet.

At the GF though, your backup is a small boat that holds 15 people or so. And if that when you got people lugging strollers on-board.

Being the last resort stop, we always found the monorails full to capacity, usually waiting a monorail or two to find space even for just two of us in the morning. After the 2nd morning we just took the boat the rest of the trip.
I would not be surprised if the monorails are once again changed to handle more standing room. Removing the central row of seats and replacing it with seats along the center window should increase capacity for a few more people.

Monorail Lime

When BLT opened, did the Contemporary see a significant impact to the waiting line for the monorail? There, your backup transportation to the MK was the walkway and your two feet.

Able-bodied persons may use the TTC for backup transportation. The walking distance between the GF DVC location and the TTC is approximately half a mile; the same as BLT and MK.

jt04

Just wait until somebody realizes that they could build a 30 story tower and claim they are following Walt's dream, the central hotel of EPCOT. :lookaroun

THIS is the Resort Hotel and DVC they need to build. Imagine a convex building with rooms facing Future World and SSE. Yep, that would sell big.

Disneyfan1981

In reading this the only thing I can think of is that a Poly DVC is a no brainer down the line even if it's after another resort. That will be the one I dump my money in. No more DVCs until that one hits...if it ever does.

docnabox

To everyone excited about this new information, I am very happy for you. If you are interested in DVC and this is what you have been looking for, then this is a truly wonderful and golden opportunity. I hope that any and all of you can buy into this when it becomes available and that you are happy there for many years to come.

But for me, I just worry that when all is said and done, the shores of SSL are gong to be overcrowded with development. There are a few feet of open space between the new building/wedding chapel and luau cove so maybe they can squeeze in a new resort or two there....:lol:

I think part of what makes it so lovely is the various themed developments interspersed with green and I don't want to stand at the MK dock and look around seeing nothing but buildings. I realize that this news is not making that type of scenario come to realization but it is just a long term concern.

I am usually not one to cite things about what "Walt would have done..." but I always heard of how bad development with low end motels etc got around DL and how part of the plan in WDW was to avoid it. To me, congestion is congestion, whether it is a bunch of Motel 6's or too many high end, well-themed, Disney-designed properties.

But again, I am not trying to start a disagreement with anyone. I am happy for all those that are thrilled over this. Good luck.

Pioneer Hall

With the GF being the last resort stop, we always found the monorails full to capacity, usually waiting a monorail or two to find space even for just two of us in the morning. After the 2nd morning we just took the boat the rest of the trip.

I wonder if adding a DVC wing to the GF (and perhaps the Poly in the future) could lead the way to increasing the boat size for the GF/Poly boats.

As much as I like those little guys, I wish they would hold more people sometimes.

This addition would be much much smaller than BLT. No one would probably notice the extra guests that this would bring.

Pioneer Hall

To everyone excited about this new information, I am very happy for you. If you are interested in DVC and this is what you have been looking for, then this is a truly wonderful and golden opportunity. I hope that any and all of you can buy into this when it becomes available and that you are happy there for many years to come.

But for me, I just worry that when all is said and done, the shores of SSL are gong to be overcrowded with development. There are a few feet of open space between the new building/wedding chapel and luau cove so maybe they can squeeze in a new resort or two there....:lol:

I think part of what makes it so lovely is the various themed developments interspersed with green and I don't want to stand at the MK dock and look around seeing nothing but buildings. I realize that this news is not making that type of scenario come to realization but it is just a long term concern.

I am usually not one to cite things about what "Walt would have done..." but I always heard of how bad development with low end motels etc got around DL and how part of the plan in WDW was to avoid it. To me, congestion is congestion, whether it is a bunch of Motel 6's or too many high end, well-themed, Disney-designed properties.

But again, I am not trying to start a disagreement with anyone. I am happy for all those that are thrilled over this. Good luck.

If Walt lived and had his original way, the shores of the SSL and Bay Lake would be much more crowded than they are now. He developed a lot more hotels than ever came to fruition. I don't think one more building on the lagoon is really going to affect the view of the location in the dramatic way people are thinking it will. Also, I doubt it will be the last development on the shores of the water there. FW is probably next and I honestly don't think that in the 20 year plan it is ridiculous to think that we can see another deluxe in one of the original plots slated for one with a new monorail stop.

NoChesterHester

If Walt lived and had his original way, the shores of the SSL and Bay Lake would be much more crowded than they are now. He developed a lot more hotels than ever came to fruition. I don't think one more building on the lagoon is really going to affect the view of the location in the dramatic way people are thinking it will. Also, I doubt it will be the last development on the shores of the water there. FW is probably next and I honestly don't think that in the 20 year plan it is ridiculous to think that we can see another deluxe in one of the original plots slated for one with a new monorail stop.

I believe this as well. Density can create richness. WDW doesn't have to just represent the isolated building, completely screened from all surroundings.

I just completely fail to see the reason for the hatred of DVC properties. I will never become a member, but I am excited to see the offerings or those involved increase. I also like to have a new area to explore and also enjoy the constantly updating skyline.

Pioneer Hall

I believe this as well. Density can create richness. WDW doesn't have to just represent the isolated building, completely screened from all surroundings.

I just completely fail to see the reason for the hatred of DVC properties. I will never become a member, but I am excited to see the offerings or those involved increase. I also like to have a new area to explore and also enjoy the constantly updating skyline.

There was a thread a few months back about people disliking DVC...as expected it turned in to just another argument. I personally don't understand it either, member or not, but some people stand with their reasons and I accept that as it is. I think that DVC is a help to Disney's bottom line, and don't mind that there is aggressive expansion for the foreseeable future. I could understand concern if this building was supposed to be a 20 story high rise, but as far as theme has gone all the DVC properties seem to keep the charm of their respective resorts (I know some argue this with BLT and it's design, but I don't really see it as a big difference from the original contemporary).

captainkidd

Haven't read through the entire thread. Just wanted to say that I think adding DVC to the GF is tacky. However, if they do do it, I'm glad it would be an addition, and not take away more rooms. Personally, as DVC is not something I'm interested in, I wish they'd actually build new themed resorts instead of just DVC properties.

Disneyfan1981

I don't really understand those who hate DVC. Sure it isn't for everyone but those who have it and actually use it really use the benefits. The rooms you would pay for would be severely expensive. One trip to WDW for me would easily be $5500 to stay in a deluxe resort not counting airfare. That was the majority of the DVC dues and cost. Literally in two trips I made up my dues/cost and using the minimal amount of points I made three trips a couple of years ago to WDW and loved it every single time.

I can see complaining about the placement of the building or even worrying that the "Best Kept Secret" is being focused on more than other projects but to dislike the whole operation when it IS beneficial to a lot of folks doesn't make sense to me.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't really understand those who hate DVC. Sure it isn't for everyone but those who have it and actually use it really use the benefits. The rooms you would pay for would be severely expensive. One trip to WDW for me would easily be $5500 to stay in a deluxe resort not counting airfare. That was the majority of the DVC dues and cost. Literally in two trips I made up my dues/cost and using the minimal amount of points I made three trips a couple of years ago to WDW and loved it every single time.

I can see complaining about the placement of the building or even worrying that the "Best Kept Secret" is being focused on more than other projects but to dislike the whole operation when it IS beneficial to a lot of folks doesn't make sense to me.

Agreed.

And to the people who wish they'd spend the money to build a deluxe resort instead of a DVC resort: the money comes from different accounts. DVC money is DVC money. When they build a DVC resort, all the associated costs are rolled into the cost of that building, and point costs are determined accordingly.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts LLC builds resort hotels. DVC builds DVC Villas.

mrerk

Premium Member
Agreed.

And to the people who wish they'd spend the money to build a deluxe resort instead of a DVC resort: the money comes from different accounts. DVC money is DVC money. When they build a DVC resort, all the associated costs are rolled into the cost of that building, and point costs are determined accordingly.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts LLC builds resort hotels. DVC builds DVC Villas.

Well then I guess it must not be DVC, since the applicant for the project is Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US Incorporated.:rolleyes:

Computer Magic

I think you summed it up. Everyone wants Disney to do what benefit themselves.

If DVC works for you, you will defend it to the end and want it expanded so they can experience different resorts.

If DVC doesn't work for, non DVC members don't want DVC expanded to resorts, or share the resorts amenities with DVC members (meaning, it gets too crowded) Non DVC members want the focus on other projects.

So there is no win and some can't debate but instead go into personal attack.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom