GF DVC Site Plan?

Tom

Beta Return
True enough ... and while it's nice (or not) that someone discovered this site plan, it isn't a surprise at all to many of us who have said it's been in the planning for years.

And, yes, it does suck.

When you have a fanboi community that largely believes that timeshares, queues, meet-greet-and-gropes and 'retro' merchandise are reasons why people visit a supposed world-class resort, then don't be surprised when that's pretty much all you get.

Lots of stuff is in planning for years. And only a few of those things make it to this stage. People have been rumoring of DVC being added to several resorts. This one is actually happening.

So where is the official announcement? I'm not really set to believe this since I have seen plans like this last year even before these were created.

EDIT: Here's another problem: No MK views. That building is not far out enough to get any view of the Magic Kingdom. Any DVC at the flagship resort of WDW will NEED to have MK views. Not having them is unacceptable.

They don't announce things that have yet to clear all of the jurisdictional and governmental hurdles. DVC will announce this one at some point, because WDI has advanced it through one of the most expensive and difficult steps in the process. These aren't preliminary plans - they're final.

But you are right about the MK views. The northeast wing aims at the MK, and they even put the balconies for those rooms on the end of that wing (as opposed to the sides like the rest of the building). However, those rooms will look right at the furthest east building of the GF. Of course, maybe it will be a few stories taller, and only the top rooms will offer actual theme park views :shrug:

eilie

Aerial overlay:

GFDVCbldgaerialoverlay75small.jpg

GFDVCbldgaerialoverlay0small.jpg

eilie

All I can say is that the new building footprint seems really small compared to the overall square footage of the resort. I'll have to pull it up in AutoCAD to get an estimate. It's certainly nowhere near the scale of the BLT, especially in terms of room count (since the building can only be so tall next to the GF).

Krack

I generally stay way from the DVC threads; I don't really understand the whole process, and I'm never going to buy-in, so it doesn't affect me much. But what I don't understand is, why is Disney building these additions on existing resorts instead of a DVC-only brand new resort? I would think it would be a major selling point: "Hey, look at this incredible brand new themed resort that you can only stay at if you buy into our timeshare."

eilie

Also, it looks like the tennis courts are now gone, and the walk to the Heath Club will be even longer since guests will have to take the new path that follows all the way around the new drop-off.

Tom

Beta Return
All I can say is that the new building footprint seems really small compared to the overall square footage of the resort. I'll have to pull it up in AutoCAD to get an estimate. It's certainly nowhere near the scale of the BLT, especially in terms of room count (since the building can only be so tall next to the GF).

Roughly 35,000sf footprint.

EDIT: Just did a quick area calculation on BLT. The 4th floor came out to right at 40,000sf.

Tom

Beta Return
I generally stay way from the DVC threads; I don't really understand the whole process, and I'm never going to buy-in, so it doesn't affect me much. But what I don't understand is, why is Disney building these additions on existing resorts instead of a DVC-only brand new resort? I would think it would be a major selling point: "Hey, look at this incredible brand new themed resort that you can only stay at if you buy into our timeshare."

For a few reasons:

1) Because DVC member feedback is saying that DVC owners would like the ability to stay at one of the deluxe resorts using their points. Hence Kidani/Jambo, BLT, WLV and now GFV. This is their answer.

2) Everything is already in place. Utilities are near the site. They can share buses and staff. They don't have to build major roads or clear forests. It's a LOT cheaper to build next to an existing hotel than it is to build out in the undeveloped areas.

Tom

Beta Return
Great - thanks for the info!

Does anyone know how many stories tall the new building will be?

That is still unknown. I heard a rumor of 6, which would make sense if they want the top floors of the NE wing to see the MK.

On a side note, other than the construction itself, I don't think this will have a huge impact on the wedding pavilion. The parking for the pavilion will be almost exactly where it is now, and the little turnaround is staying put. The most important view from inside the pavilion is of the castle, and that's not being impeded at all. When the new building is done, you'll see the new building out the NW windows, and that's pretty much it. And I'm guessing it will look at lot like the current buildings, so the landscape won't change - just the proximity.

MarkTwain

I'm a huge DVC fan, our family only visits WDW more than once a year because of DVC, but this is getting a bit too far. This looks like it will completely destroy the tranquility not only of the Wedding Pavilion, but of the wide open expanse of beaches around it.

Also, from an architectural standpoint, the Grand Floridian seems to be designed to be most prominently seen from its south side - in other words, from the very beach that the new wing is being built on.

That means unless you're standing in the hotel's pool area, you won't be able to get a view like this anymore:

grandfloridian.jpg

I'm surprised Disney would go so far as to destroy its own greatest architectural assets...

Figment1986

And what happened to the proposed DVC at Fort Wilderness?

I would assume it is still going towards final plans as well... They already made it known everything in the area it will take over will be moving to new facilities built near the former kennel.

So that would make 2 projects for DVC in the MK region...

Perhaps grand Floridian should move it's 7-seas dock to be more neutral as it would be a hike to get to from the DVC wing... and the monorails are already pretty full by then.:shrug:

TheBeatles

i really wish disney would stop building dvc resorts.

it's incredibly disappointing to see wdw being overbuilt with resorts.

GymLeaderPhil

It's good to see an expanded parking lot. The Grand Floridian has one of the worst parking lots. It's like they assumed everyone who could afford to stay there would either valet park, take a cab, or has their own driver on call circling the Seven Seas Lagoon until summoned.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

They are not going to stop until people stop buying. So far the Deluxe resort DVC's have pretty much been a slam dunk from a sales perspective. It would not surprise me one bit if they figure out a way to economically build a full sized DVC only resort on the Mediterranean/Venetian Resort site in the next decade.

lazyboy97o

They are not going to stop until people stop buying. So far the Deluxe resort DVC's have pretty much been a slam dunk from a sales perspective. It would not surprise me one bit if they figure out a way to economically build a full sized DVC only resort on the Mediterranean/Venetian Resort site in the next decade.
The continued expansion of Disney's vacation Club and the Value Resorts makes me wonder if they would ever consider trying to build a multilevel resort that offers large vacation Club accommodations, a significant number of Value options, and a sprinkling of Deluxe and Moderate rooms. It would not be unprecedented to limit offerings to Vacation Club owners, and amenities like restaurants would just be situated closer to their intended audience. I know some people might say this sounds like segregation, but the Resorts are already segregated by how much you pay, there is just not such a large difference at one location.

jt04

It is the only way you will see expansion in the parks.

Either they will fill up and increase profits to the point that Disney will choose to expand the parks or they will not be full enough and Disney will have to expand the parks to get more guests. My theory anyway.

So, while some may think WDW can remain frozen in the past because they long to recapture the 'magic' they knew, it is not possible from a business perspective. Personally I don't mind the resorts that are around the SSL. The more the better. I would be suprised if the TTC is not converted into a resort or expansion of the Poly in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom