GF DVC Site Plan?

majortom1981

It really is amazing how Disney keeps adding to The Timeshare Kingdom of the World, all the while allowing its parks to wallow in abject staleness year after year.

I guess when it comes to DVC, most people are buying in for the pxie dust because the parks sure aren't getting the attention they did back in the 70s-90s when DVC either didn't exist or wasn't a significant part of the resort.

I'm sure in 2023 when Disney is still showing MSEP-1972, Captain Eo, RoE, Ghetto Fantasmic (2-3 nights a week, tops), all those DVCers will be thrilled to be part of Disney's Best Kept Secret.

But I bet a good 75% of the people here think it's either a great thing or at least not a bad one to keep adding ... after all, when Old Man Disney talked about having 'the blessing of size' for his FLA project, you all damn well know he was planning a giant vacation points/timeshare resort.

Truly MAGICal.

There is only soo many times we can say this. DVC additions and resorts are paid for by the people buying them. Each resort is then owned by everybody who has points. This is why soo many are going up because its very easy profit since when a resorts points are sold out disney will have made all its money back on it and then some.

PLUS each dvc resort can still be used my non dvs guest. Yes it can be expensive at like $300 -$500 a night on cash guests can still stay at them.

COProgressFan

They will have absolutely no problem selling weddings, after construction. There is a waiting list to get married there. If Bride A doesn't like the building next door, Bride B-Z will be happy to take her day!

During construction....there will be some seriously upset brides.

I am very familiar with weddings at Disney and there is no waiting list per se. There is however a lottery for those interested in the same time and location which occurs 1 year prior. Demand may be high but it seems odd to suggest that it will not be a problem. I for one would likely not choose that location anymore and I am sure it would be a concern for others as well.

disneyny

As a DVC owner I really like this idea. GF is not my favorite resort but I always like more options. We own at VWL and the buiding doesn't take anything away from the resort, is beautiful and well themed and it serves the purpose of letting members be able to stay at their favorite resorts. I don't see why people can't wait until it is finished before they hate on it. I for one like BLT and don't think it is the eyesore most people do. However I would be more excited about a big resort added on to FW with a more rustic theme and I hope if theyever build a resort on the Mediterranean plot they change the theme. Just my thoughts-

Computer Magic

Now I'll get the popcorn and hope this doesn't turn into a DVC bashing thread...
To be new, you know your way around pretty good.:p

Just because others have a different viewpoint on the value of DVC, doesn't mean its bashing. Just like anti-DVC calling DVC guest, people that drink the kool-aid isn't nice.

DVC is a Disney business for an easy Disney profit. It's a way for Disney to get money upfront, guarantee guest return visits. In return DVC guests prepay their vacation for 50 years and receive a discount.

Some see this as a great value and others see this dumping on Disney quailty for a quick profit. Both points are valid depending on their perspective.

cbconglom

mike perry (@cbconglom) has shared a Tweet with you:

"__________: Don't believe what you read about DVC wings for Grand Floridian, it is more likely bridal suites, banquet halls, & more parking."
--http://twitter.com/__________/status/49126745420468224

"__________: The next DVC Resort scheduled for Walt Disney World is the California Coast Hotel that will be built near Disney's Hollywood Studios"
--http://twitter.com/__________/status/49127199965577216

Tom

Beta Return

"__________: Don't believe what you read about DVC wings for Grand Floridian, it is more likely bridal suites, banquet halls, & more parking."
--http://twitter.com/__________/status/49126745420468224

"__________: The next DVC Resort scheduled for Walt Disney World is the California Coast Hotel that will be built near Disney's Hollywood Studios"
--http://twitter.com/__________/status/49127199965577216

I don't know who Mike Perry is, but he is only partially right...perhaps.

It would not be surprising at all if they put in a few wedding reception rooms on the ground floor, and throw in a bridal suite or two - but the rest of the building matches DVC specifications exactly.

They're not building a 6-story building full of reception halls and bridal suites. I won't argue his theory that it may incorporate bridal amenities though.

As for the California Coast Hotel theory, just add it to the list of "I heard the next DVC hotel will be ________."

cbconglom

Another blocked Disney site is reporting this not me I'm mike and I'm on my phone and it was an easy way to copy and paste sorry

cbconglom

Oh I see. I'm curious as to which site is reporting this.

W d w news today.. guess I just assumed every Disney nerd like me followed all the Disney news sites on Twitter :)
It's how I knew the adventureland bridge is open and that the plans leaked and many things

Computer Magic

You are right about both point being valid but...

Wait a minute... Isn't that the point of the Disney resort as a whole? In business to make money? Blastphemy.
Disney is a business. What makes them better then other business' is Disney attention to quality. That is why Pixar beat Disney in animination. Don't go cheap people know the difference. The question debated here is how people preceive DVC. Is DVC above the bar or below the bar.

nolatron

thanks so much for this! the one surprise for me is, i'm not sure if there will be any mk views at all. i may need to look at it a bit more on google earth, but other than the entrance, i'm thinking the angles are gonna be pretty difficult for any great views.

Pretty much. As mentioned, unless the building is higher than the existing ones you probably won't get a castle view.

I through this together showing the Wedding Pavilion view and the Closest balcony view.

2vj4bo6.png

33z9o37.png

WDW1974

I don't want to get into a pros and cons deal of DVC. I think most timeshare scams are just that ... you absolutely can make the DVC numbers come out as a value depending on the numbers you use and such, so that's largely a waste of time.

The issue that I think is important to ask is: was WDW created and grown to largely be a timeshare, hotel and real estate venture or a world-class example of what can be done in pushing the limits of immersive family (NOT children's) entertainment?

lazyboy97o

But I bet a good 75% of the people here think it's either a great thing or at least not a bad one to keep adding ... after all, when Old Man Disney talked about having 'the blessing of size' for his FLA project, you all damn well know he was planning a giant vacation points/timeshare resort.
Just wait until somebody realizes that they could build a 30 story tower and claim they are following Walt's dream, the central hotel of EPCOT. :lookaroun

COProgressFan

I don't want to get into a pros and cons deal of DVC. I think most timeshare scams are just that ... you absolutely can make the DVC numbers come out as a value depending on the numbers you use and such, so that's largely a waste of time.

The issue that I think is important to ask is: was WDW created and grown to largely be a timeshare, hotel and real estate venture or a world-class example of what can be done in pushing the limits of immersive family (NOT children's) entertainment?

Well said and this is perhaps the biggest question. It seems like there will come a time with more resorts than actual attractions.

spaceghost

I guess I don't understand why it can't be both? It seems to me that they are not mutually exclusive options. If DVC makes the company money, then that is a good thing (as long as the money is used appropriately to "push the limits of immersive family entertainment"). That seems to be the bigger issue with TDO (as you have stated many times before), not DVC in and of itself.

nolatron

I'd say the latter because (and these numbers may not be 100% exact) there's something 24 Disney-owned resorts with about 26,000 rooms on property. Art of Animation will bring another 1,984 Guest Rooms when it opens.

Of those ~28,000 rooms, only about 4,200 would be [Max Available] DVC Rooms (from Page 4). There's also only 3 DVC only resorts with 4 DVC Villas added to existing resorts.

It looks like this GF DVC building won't add more than 200-300 rooms maybe to that total, too.

While timeshares do good for WDW in bringing in money to fund projects, I don't think it's their primary focus because it's still a small segment of their overall hotel properties.

Cosmic Commando

I guess I don't understand why it can't be both? It seems to me that they are not mutually exclusive options. If DVC makes the company money, then that is a good thing (as long as the money is used appropriately to "push the limits of immersive family entertainment"). That seems to be the bigger issue with TDO (as you have stated many times before), not DVC in and of itself.
Exactly. It's not as if there's not enough construction workers to build a new DVC and a new E-Ticket at the same time. Someday, TDO might even realize that investing in the parks can drive demand for hotel rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom